Windows 10: Universal Orchestrator Start wakes laptop, reliably leads to Windows hardware errors

Discus and support Universal Orchestrator Start wakes laptop, reliably leads to Windows hardware errors in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; After noticing hardware errors and Cortana/search errors appear in the Windows Reliability Monitor almost daily, I've finally tracked down the basic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Philosophos, May 13, 2020.

1. Universal Orchestrator Start wakes laptop, reliably leads to Windows hardware errors

After noticing hardware errors and Cortana/search errors appear in the Windows Reliability Monitor almost daily, I've finally tracked down the basic reason for it: almost every night, Universal Orchestrator Start wakes my laptop to search for updates, immediately after which I always get a windows hardware error and more often than not get Cortana search errors, too.

I thought this could be due to me undervolting my PC, but after turning off undervolting completely, it still happens, so that's not it.

I've temporarily circumvented this by not allowing the PC to have wake timers under Advanced Power Settings --> Sleep in the Control Panel, but that's not quite solving the problem, since I shouldn't get constant hardware errors when a wake timer occurs.

Here are some possibly relevant details. I can't find a minidump for the issue. Any help's appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• Running Windows 10 Pro 1909 on Lenovo X1 Extreme Gen 1 with an 8850H processor
    • Here's the wake message that powercfg /sleepstudy gives that leads immediately to the hardware problem:
      Timer - Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.
    • Here's the hardware error output that happens after the wake:

Source

Windows

Summary

Hardware error

Date

‎5/‎13/‎2020 5:18 AM

Status

Report sent

Description

A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

Code: 141

Parameter 1: ffff9d824a4ba050

Parameter 2: fffff8016a10a270

Parameter 3: 0

Parameter 4: 0

OS version: 10_0_18363

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 256_1

OS Version: 10.0.18363.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_igdkmd64.sys

Server information: 94c36dc9-d2db-401e-a1df-2c0150c3db58

• Here's the Search/Cortana error from Reliability Monitor:

Source

Search and Cortana application

Summary

Stopped responding and was closed

Date

‎5/‎13/‎2020 5:17 AM

Status

Report sent

Description

A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: MoAppHang

Package Full Name: Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.13.0.18362_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

Application Name: praid:CortanaUI

Application Version: 10.0.18362.752

Application Timestamp: 5e7049d9

Hang Signature: 73d0

Hang Type: 2097152

OS Version: 10.0.18363.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Hang Signature 1: 73d0f7954aa334999f1d4897ff24a3ff

Additional Hang Signature 2: 9f42

Additional Hang Signature 3: 9f42e976d7c4f2ca4d3b14f2959b1208

Additional Hang Signature 4: 73d0

Additional Hang Signature 5: 73d0f7954aa334999f1d4897ff24a3ff

Additional Hang Signature 6: 9f42

Additional Hang Signature 7: 9f42e976d7c4f2ca4d3b14f2959b1208

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: b5b17e2b1e695bdaabd10b323b0af197 2004395619523424663

:)

Philosophos, May 13, 2020
  2. Adam2508 Win User

Task "Universal Orchestrator Start" keeps waking up my computer

Hello, I just want to prevent Update Orchestrator from waking up my computer. I've already gone into Task Manager with pstools and the following command

psexec.exe -i -s% windir% \ system32 \ mmc.exe / s taskschd.msc

In the "Universal Orchestrator Start" task, I have already cleared the "Wake the computer to run this task" checkbox on the "Condition" tab many times, but the computer continues to check this box.

I already checked many forums to get here, but I could not find any answer on how to stop the system checking this box again.

How can I get the system to not check the box again?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Adam

Adam2508, May 13, 2020
  3. what process creates the task "NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start"?

hello,

in my home i have a computer that i always put in hibernate mode instead of turning it off.

from time to time my computer wakes up automatically at around 23:00 for few minutes and turnd off again.

(ans sometimes it doesn't turn off - then the computer still runs in the morning, when i get up)

and every time the computer is doing that, i wake up as well, because the initial power-on fan-test is very very noisy.

i was looking powercfg what the cause was of the last wake and it was always

"NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start".

but when i take a look to "NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\" in the task schedule, there is no

"Universal Orchestrator Start" anymore, that i could muten/prevent from turning on the computer next time.

it seems the taks deletes itself as soon it was rebooting the computer.

what process is creating "NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start"?

for what is it good for?

is there a way to turn off creating that task?

i observed that issue more often in the last few days/week - was something changed in the last update (1909 / 2019-12)?

beta-tester, May 13, 2020
  4. rvcjew Win User

Universal Orchestrator Start wakes laptop, reliably leads to Windows hardware errors

Updates are paused but Update Orchestrator keeps waking PC.

I normally do updates every few days but so it does not inconvenience me I do them then set them to be paused so the PC which is in my bedroom does not wake me at night. For the past few days even though its paused Update Orchestrator is waking my pc, but why? Should it not be disabled when Updates are Paused? I'm on 1903 for reference.

Here is my Powercfg -lastwake report:

Owner: [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) Owner Supplied Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

I know you can murder the task and take system privileges from it to make you have to force it do updates but I only have my laptop doing that as if this happens to it in a bag that can be a very bad thing and used to happen till pausing was a thing.

Any steps I should take to fix this, for now I have changed my active hours to more when I will be on it at least.
    Malcolm

rvcjew, May 13, 2020
Thema:

Universal Orchestrator Start wakes laptop, reliably leads to Windows hardware errors

1. Universal Orchestrator Start wakes laptop, reliably leads to Windows hardware errors - Similar Threads - Universal Orchestrator Start

2. Hardware error in reliability history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hardware error in reliability history: Can anyone tell me about this? It is in a report by the Windows 11 "Reliability Monitor." There were no symptoms that I recall. I was just looking at the Reliability Monitor out of curiosity....
  3. Reliability History: Hardware Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reliability History: Hardware Error: My first time postingRecently, whenever I run a high power application on my gpuGaming - the application will crash and I'll receive a critical event error in my reliability history. Specifically, the app wont always crash on startup but sometimes I'll be able to play for a...
  4. Reliability History: Hardware Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reliability History: Hardware Error: My first time postingRecently, whenever I run a high power application on my gpuGaming - the application will crash and I'll receive a critical event error in my reliability history. Specifically, the app wont always crash on startup but sometimes I'll be able to play for a...
  5. Hardware Error in reliability history.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hardware Error in reliability history.: So I recently did a clean install of windows 10 due to my PC crash several times, however I got this issued recently but I don't know where to start looking for the issue. Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent Code: 144 Parameter 1: 3003 Parameter 2: ffffb0873beaa6b0...
  6. Windows hardware error in reliability monitor

Windows hardware error in reliability monitor: Specs: i7 6820 HK, GTX 980M 32 GB RAM Alienware 15R2 Did a reset to resolve the issue, no luck. Things did previously: DISM, sfc, chkdsk, rollback windows update and driver update, removed Nvidia HD audio, Turned Over clock off and on. Did stress test for CPU, GPU &...
  7. Windows Reliability Problem Hardware Error

Windows Reliability Problem Hardware Error: Hello, my computer is freezing multiple times a day when playing a game. It's at the point now where I need to devote my efforts to figuring out what the problem is and how to fix it. I would appreciate it if someone here could possibly help me. Thank you. I'm new to this,...
  8. Hardware Error in Reliability Monitor

Hardware Error in Reliability Monitor: My desktop crashed with these 2 hardware error. May I know is there anything I can do to resolve it? Description A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly. Problem signature Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent Code: 141 Parameter 1:...
  9. Task "Universal Orchestrator Start" keeps waking up my computer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Task "Universal Orchestrator Start" keeps waking up my computer: Hello, I just want to prevent Update Orchestrator from waking up my computer. I've already gone into Task Manager with pstools and the following command psexec.exe -i -s% windir% \ system32 \ mmc.exe / s taskschd.msc In the "Universal Orchestrator Start" task, I have...
  10. turn off Universal Orchestrator wake-up

in Windows 10 Customization
    turn off Universal Orchestrator wake-up: Since going to 1903 my computer has been spontaneously waking up from sleep. I've disabled all the devices that can wake up a PC. Checking last wake-up indicates it is universal orchistrator doing the dirty work. I want to be able to check for updates when I want to, not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. an error has occured for task universal orchestrator