Windows 10: Universal search is broken with Onedrive local files

Discus and support Universal search is broken with Onedrive local files in Cortana to solve the problem; I have the SAME EXACT issue from the 2016 post... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by abdulazizalobodi, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Universal search is broken with Onedrive local files

I have the SAME EXACT issue from the 2016 post

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-opens-local-files-in-onedrive-folder-only/0190b76a-8cf8-4e63-9fbd-73999504ac86

Please do not suggest any of the solutions suggested by this post, they are not fixing the issue. It is crazy and utterly frustrating that windows still has this bug after four years! Why? Please tell me.

:)

abdulazizalobodi, Sep 11, 2019

2. Avoid getting OneDrive search results for local files

In Windows 10, how can I avoid getting search results that link to files online in OneDrive (and open a web browser when you click them) when those files also reside locally? I want just the local files, so that when I choose a result, the local app opens.

For background, here the problem report I submitted via the Windows 10 Feedback app:

Edward Brey, Sep 11, 2019
  3. Search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser

Hi Elias,

To resolve your concern regarding opening local files on OneDrive, follow the steps below:

• Go to
      OneDrive.com.
    • Right click on the file that you want to view.
    • Click on Download.
    • The file will be downloaded, and would normally show up on the bottom part of your browser.
    • Click the file, and it would open up using its normal default application.

Let us know how it goes.

Ruizell Rey, Sep 11, 2019
  4. Universal search is broken with Onedrive local files

Windows 10 search function works strange for the files in onedrive

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in response.

When you search for the files in OneDrive, you will get an option to check My Stuff and Web at the bottom, If you select My stuff it will search for the files locally, if you select web it searches for the file in the web.

You may also check if OneDrive is working correctly and if you still face an issue, we would suggest you to run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

• Type troubleshooting in the search
      box
      and hit Enter.
    • Select view all from the left pane and select Search and Indexing and follow the on-screen instructions.
    Thank you.

Ravinath P, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

Universal search is broken with Onedrive local files

1. Universal search is broken with Onedrive local files - Similar Threads - Universal search broken

2. How to find local files in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to find local files in OneDrive: My problem is that I have set OneDrive to free up space automatically but the problem is that if I sync something into a subfolder somewhere on my OneDrive all the folders to and including that folder will show the blue icon but going into that folder will show me green...
  3. OneDrive files not accessible on my local drive

OneDrive files not accessible on my local drive: Hello. I am trying to repurpose my wife's old all-in-one for our middle schooler. I am trying to copy the files from her OneDrive to an external hard drive. OneDrive went through the whole copy process and didn't copy a single file directly to the external drive. So I...
  4. OneDrive Search

OneDrive Search: I have many folders in my OneDrive. When I open my browser and go to www.OneDrive.com, I see all of my folders (so far so good). In my Music folder (just one of many folders), I would like to search for all .mp3 files. So I open my Music folder, and I enter information in...
  5. Indexing local files and files stored on OneDrive for Business

in Cortana
    Indexing local files and files stored on OneDrive for Business: Hello, I am wondering if anybody knows of the roadmap for searching 1) local files and of 2) files stored on OneDrive for Business. I am a researcher and have hundreds of PDF documents stored locally but can't seem to get a good index of them built using native Windows...
  6. Onedrive local files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Onedrive local files: All of my Onedrive folders/files are set to "read-only". I went to properties on the Onedrive folder and cleared the checkmark on the read-only box. Applied the change to all floders/files. It appeared to go through all of them, but when I looked at any of the files they...
  7. OneDrive and local account

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive and local account: Can OneDrive be used with a local account? I Know I would have to login with a MS account but can this be done from a local account? 23393
  8. OneDrive -- make all files available locally

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive -- make all files available locally: On Win10 RS3, how to make all OneDrive files available locally? The option "make all files available" seems to only make placeholders available. How do you get the real files to be automatically downloaded to the local machine, not just on demand? 105409
  9. OneDrive goes universal on Xbox One

in Windows 10 News
    OneDrive goes universal on Xbox One: Microsoft is continuing to push its Universal Windows Platform (UWP), as the OneDrive team have now brought the Windows 10 OneDrive app to Xbox One. With this all-new app for Xbox One, OneDrive users can now access Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents all from within...
  10. Search (file explorer) broken in 9879

in Windows 10 Support
    Search (file explorer) broken in 9879: Hi there I think the search is broken in file explorer in 9879 Say I'm just looking for all my ISO files -- I used to type in the search argument *.iso or even .iso and it would list all files xxxxxx.iso Now the search returns ANY STRING CONTAINING iso in it such as...