Windows 10: Unknow Disk Usage

Discus and support Unknow Disk Usage in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I have a 128GB (120GB?) SSD as my C: drive and a 3TB HDD as my D: drive. I put virtually all my programs and data on the D: drive and have the SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Matt316, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Matt316 Win User

Unknow Disk Usage

Hi, I have a 128GB (120GB?) SSD as my C: drive and a 3TB HDD as my D: drive. I put virtually all my programs and data on the D: drive and have the SSD as a fast boot up with the essentials. Just lately, though, the SSD has been showing as nearly full: 106GB out of the max 117GB. However, when I check the usage by checking the properties of each of the main folders, the total only adds up to 71GB, leaving 35GB unaccounted for. The folder properties is set to displaying all hidden information. I have two accounts - mine and the admin, which is virtually unused and I accept this may take up a small amount of hidden info. I would try to delete unnecessary items or move any unimportant programs to the D: drive as most of them are, but the program file folders on the C: drive are relatively small, and the update folder is also small. I cannot figure out where the extra usage is. Any ideas? Matt

:)

Matt316, Jun 12, 2021

2. Off the chart (literally!) disk usage

Glenn, we would like to check if you are still experiencing a high disk usage on your end, if yes, we would like to ask if you can try to follow the steps below for as a workaround:

• Go to Start menu and select Settings
    • Select System
    • Select Notification & actions
    • Then turn off all notification and check if disk usage would still get a high usage.

Let us know how it goes.

Jarius Tol, Jun 12, 2021
  3. Jose Est Win User
    100% disk usage and memory usage

Hi,

100% disk usage and memory usage can be caused by a software corruption, running application running on the background and malware or virus infection.

For us to properly isolate the issue and provide an appropriate resolution, kindly answer the questions below:

• Did the issue happen after installing the Fall Creators?
    • Did you receive any error messages?
    • Can you send us the screenshot of the Task Manager showing the 100% disk usage and memory usage?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

For isolation purposes, please perform a clean boot to see if the same issue will occur. Refer to this
    article for more information on how to perform a clean boot
    in Windows.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Jun 12, 2021
  4. Unknow Disk Usage

Windows 10 100% disk usage problem

Hi Jae,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: First of all, take a note of the processes or applications that is running when the computer runs with high disk usage. Also, we need to find the applications that are running at startup.

Follow the steps to check for the processes under Task Manager:

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.
    • Click on Processes tab. Check if any of the processes consumes high memory usage.
    Bad sectors on the hard drive can be a cause for high disk usage.

Check which process is utilizing the Hard Disk on Windows 8.1, you may try the following steps.

• Open Task Manager and click on
      Details tab.
    • Right click the columns headers and click "Select Columns".
    • From the "Select Columns" window, check: I/O Reads, I/O Writes, I/O read bytes, I/O write bytes and then click
      OK.
    • Now the columns will be added to the view and will display how much each process is utilizing from the hard disk.
    • Sort by I/O read bytes or I/O write bytes by clicking on the column header to see which process is utilizing the Hard Drive most.
    Step 2: If you have not run the 'check disk' scan or tried optimizing the drive, follow the steps from this article.

Improve performance by optimizing your drive

(Note: This applies to Windows 10 also.)

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, it tries to repair that sector and any data available on that might be lost.

Hope it helps. Feel free to get back to us for any further queries or issues related to Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jun 12, 2021
Thema:

Unknow Disk Usage

1. Unknow Disk Usage - Similar Threads - Unknow Disk Usage

2. Disk usage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk usage: Hi There, This Is Sami And It Has Been Around 6 Or 7 Month's That I'm Messing With This 100% Disk Usage And I Literally Did Everything To come Up With It's Fix In Sites! Searching About It, Doing Hundreds Of Things On My Laptop, Though None Of Them Worked And I Even Faced...
  3. Disk usage

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disk usage: Laptop is not shut down overnight - when starting up in the morning Disk usage shows 98 to 100 % usage - lasts for approx. 10 min then back to normal https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-usage/89ec816c-cb1e-4ba8-b2b8-4061a6bc683b
  4. Disk usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk usage: My windows version is 20H2. Hope that the screenshot is clear now https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-usage/0f6d58a0-be3c-4c48-ac4b-be72c205bcd0
  5. Disk usage

Disk usage: Hello! Currently, my pc is experiencing high disk usage. I don't know what's causing it. I tried many command scans like"sfc /scannow", "DISM scans", "chkdsk" and also installed a software named Crystal Disk Info to check my disk health. Every report seems good to me but...
  6. Disk usage

Disk usage: hello anyone who answer this so i been having a problem with one of my HDD for about a month now where it would have %100 disk usage spike for a solid 10 to 15 secs at random moments with in a time spam of like 5mins to 6. with in that time it will spike. i have tried defrag,...
  7. UNKNOW SATA DISK REMOVED?

UNKNOW SATA DISK REMOVED?: Hello, This started happening on my pc today, I installed drivers for a new printer i bought Canon Pixma TS3150, And a few hours later weird things started happening. The printer works ok, but I get weird notifications like ''This is not Optimal Resolution For your pc, Please...
  8. Something unknow is taking disk space in computer

Something unknow is taking disk space in computer: I had 8 GB free few days before, but now, there is only 4GB free disk space. I have tried almost eveything, deleting apps, disk cleanup, etc, to free up space. It freed up some space, but again that space got occupied. How to fix this, and get back my disk space?...
  9. Something unknow is taking disk space in Python.

Something unknow is taking disk space in Python.: I had 8 GB free few days before, but now, there is only 4GB free disk space. I have tried almost eveything, deleting apps, disk cleanup, etc, to free up space. It freed up some space, but again that space got occupied. How to fix this, and get back my disk space?...
  10. disk Usage

disk Usage: its always stuck at 100%. Is there an app to help reduce disk usage or ways I can reduce it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-usage/7c5ba55b-24e4-4f9c-8515-d08ad48d20eb