Windows 10: Unknown and mysterious files found while exploring hard drive

Discus and support Unknown and mysterious files found while exploring hard drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, I wasn't sure where to post this so I just posted it here. So a little while ago I was browsing my hard drive looking for stuff to get rid of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Robberu, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Robberu Win User

Unknown and mysterious files found while exploring hard drive

Hi there, I wasn't sure where to post this so I just posted it here. So a little while ago I was browsing my hard drive looking for stuff to get rid of when I came across four surface-level files by the names of "82aatransfers134", "82abtransfer188", "Xselect95", and "Ydocuments129". Upon opening these files I found multiple file formats ranging from doc to sql, all with very weird and random names that make no sense. Opening these doc files (the ones that worked) led to strings of text and numbers that resembled hash, the other doc files had random special-character letters. The jpeg and png files showed a bunch of randomly colored pixels. At first I thought they were system files and maybe software files, for background information I have windows 10 and use malware bytes as my main antivirus/ransomware program. If you have any questions that I may not have covered feel free to ask, Im very interested yet confused. Heres what one of the files look like:
    Unknown and mysterious files found while exploring hard drive [​IMG]

:)

Robberu, Jul 25, 2020
  2. Robberu Win User

Hi there, I wasn't sure where to post this so I just posted it here. So a little while ago I was browsing my hard drive looking for stuff to get rid of when I came across four surface-level files by the names of "82aatransfers134", "82abtransfer188", "Xselect95", and "Ydocuments129". Upon opening these files I found multiple file formats ranging from doc to sql, all with very weird and random names that make no sense. Opening these doc files (the ones that worked) led to strings of text and numbers that resembled hash, the other doc files had random special-character letters. The jpeg and png files showed a bunch of randomly colored pixels. At first I thought they were system files and maybe software files, for background information I have windows 10 and use malware bytes as my main antivirus/ransomware program. If you have any questions that I may not have covered feel free to ask, Im very interested yet confused. Heres what one of the files look like:
    Unknown and mysterious files found while exploring hard drive [​IMG]

Robberu, Jul 25, 2020
  3. Cannot find (Seagate) external hard drive in File Explorer.

Thank you, Billion, for all the help. Unfortunately, the drive still doesn't show up in File Explorer. The computer recognizes it, and reads that the external hard drive is working properly. However, I still can't access anything inside it.

KetsyGonzalez, Jul 25, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jul 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Unknown and mysterious files found while exploring hard drive - Similar Threads - Unknown mysterious files

2. Found an unknown drive in the explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Found an unknown drive in the explorer.: Today I found an unknown drive in the "Devices and Drives" section of the computer. Here I have attached a screenshot of that section. Is this any security issue or windows related issue? Note: I didn't install any new software or drivers....
  3. Found an unknown drive in the explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Found an unknown drive in the explorer.: Today I found an unknown drive in the "Devices and Drives" section of the computer. Here I have attached a screenshot of that section. Is this any security issue or windows related issue? Note: I didn't install any new software or drivers....
  4. Found an mysterious unknown application in windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Found an mysterious unknown application in windows 10: While I was trying to open a photo in windows 10 with one of my photo editor so, I clicked on open with option and then I chose choose another app option and it showed a list of app I can use to open my picture as usual but in that list there was an app named %1 I had not...
  5. Hard drive not found

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Hard drive not found: Needed to reinstall windows 10 pro. My additional (D) SSD hard drive has a password protection. It is used to store documents, pictures and games etc. To not delete all info on that the D drive it was disconnected before reinstalling windows on default drive (C). After...
  6. Unknown files on my hard drive partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unknown files on my hard drive partition: I have got some bizarre dll, exe, etc files on My New Volume: E Partition of Hard drive which was empty out of nowhere. Can anyone Please tell what are these files about? Are they important? What should I do to them? Is there any problem in my PC?[ATTACH]...
  7. Hard drive Not found

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive Not found: I have installed neverwre's chrome os in my usb drive. Unfortunately I have chosed to format drive and install this on pc. I have canceled the install process but My drive is already formated. After that I have installed windows 10. Drives Before format 1. hard drive,...
  8. Hard Drive has a ? in file explorer.

Hard Drive has a ? in file explorer.: I upgraded my C Drive and now my SSD drive wont allow access. It shows the drive in Device Manager but in file manager all it shoes is the drive with a ? on it. What do I do?...
  9. Mystery Hard drive

Mystery Hard drive: 1 TB hard drive had approximately 750 GB in use. Made an image of the 1 TB hard drive. Installed the image on a new 2 TB hard drive and now it shows only 488 GB in use. No, the new hard drive is not showing any compression being used. All programs, data, pictures and...
  10. Mystery drive in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mystery drive in File Explorer: I have a "mystery drive" in the This PC section of File Explorer. It's called EZ and is mapped as the Z: drive. I am baffled by what this is and how it got there. It is *not* something I have installed, at least knowingly. When I click on it to see what is on it, it tells me...