Windows 10: Unknown device / external HDD

Discus and support Unknown device / external HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For each USB HDD I plug I get an added unknown device showing under Volume/volume manager. Seagates and Western Digitals. Properties show drivers not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by NormanThums, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Unknown device / external HDD

For each USB HDD I plug I get an added unknown device showing under Volume/volume manager.

Seagates and Western Digitals.

Properties show drivers not installed. Code 28.

Auto search driver yields error. found drivers for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install them.

WPD FileSystem Volume Driver.

The system cannot find the file specified.

When I point toward the file it then complains not signed.

I've done gpedits that should allow but not working.

Is it wise to do the reboot and setting to allow all unsigned drivers?

:)

NormanThums, Mar 25, 2020

2. X800 GTO2 = Unknown Device

I flashed the BIOS on my X800 GTO2 last night and it is listed in the Device Manager as an Unknown Device. Is this normal?

blsnelling, Mar 25, 2020
  3. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Mar 25, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Unknown device / external HDD

Why does my Ugreen HDD enclosure not work with Windows 10 Home v1809? It works with my Lenovo Windows 10

Hi Antoinette,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that the HDD enclosure is not getting detected in Asus Vivo book, we will look into this for you. However, it would be great if you can help us with the information requested below:

• Are you able to connect any other device to the laptop?
    • Do you see any Unknown Device in Device Manager?

As you have mentioned that you are have already tried updating the drivers and didn’t find the HDD enclosure showing in Device Manager, follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps:

Method 1: Check Unknown devices

We can check if the HDD enclosure shows as an Unknown device. If it shows as an Unknown device, we can try to update the drivers.

1. Press Windows key + X, and select
      Device Manager.
    2. In Device Manager window, check if there is a section of
      Unknown device.
    3. If you see Unknown device, right click on it and select
      Update Device.
    4. If prompted, restart the computer.

Method 2:

I suggest you to follow the steps from the article
    Error: “USB Device not recognized” when you try to access a USB external hard drive
    expect Method 2 and see if that makes any difference.

You may also check if there is Intel Rapid Storage driver available in the computer manufacturer’s website. If any, I suggest you to install it and check.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 25, 2020
Thema:

Unknown device / external HDD

1. Unknown device / external HDD - Similar Threads - Unknown device external

2. Unknown Bitlocker encryption on a external seagate HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown Bitlocker encryption on a external seagate HDD: To give some background I have been using a acer 300 se laptop as a gaming laptop and also to keep photos. But recently built a PC as a daily driver and was hoping to use a external hdd used on my laptop to transfer everything to me PC. So on the first time turning it on for...
  3. Unknown Bitlocker encryption on a external seagate HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown Bitlocker encryption on a external seagate HDD: To give some background I have been using a acer 300 se laptop as a gaming laptop and also to keep photos. But recently built a PC as a daily driver and was hoping to use a external hdd used on my laptop to transfer everything to me PC. So on the first time turning it on for...
  4. Unknown device making external drive be recognized wrong?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown device making external drive be recognized wrong?: So, i was trying to defrag an external hdd FreeAgentGo 300 gb but then i noticed a random volume. I cant do anything to it and it says its an SSD. Then i tried to wipe my drive in Ccleaner. Ccleaner says that it is an SSD, however it is not. I suspect that the random volume...
  5. Unknown device making external drive be recognized wrong?

Unknown device making external drive be recognized wrong?: So, i was trying to defrag an external hdd FreeAgentGo 300 gb but then i noticed a random volume. I cant do anything to it and it says its an SSD. Then i tried to wipe my drive in Ccleaner. Ccleaner says that it is an SSD, however it is not. I suspect that the random volume...
  6. External USB HDD too slow; Unknown USB Device Link in Compliance Mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External USB HDD too slow; Unknown USB Device Link in Compliance Mode.: Hello,Windows 11 Pro x64, everything everywhere is up to date.I have a Seagate 2.5 inch HDD ST1000LM048, in an external USB 3.0 enclosure Toshiba, that uses an Innostor Technology USB/SATA storage controller.When plugged into a USB 3 port, the setup yields sequential read...
  7. External USB HDD too slow; Unknown USB Device Link in Compliance Mode.

External USB HDD too slow; Unknown USB Device Link in Compliance Mode.: Hello,Windows 11 Pro x64, everything everywhere is up to date.I have a Seagate 2.5 inch HDD ST1000LM048, in an external USB 3.0 enclosure Toshiba, that uses an Innostor Technology USB/SATA storage controller.When plugged into a USB 3 port, the setup yields sequential read...
  8. 'The device is not ready' Error on external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    'The device is not ready' Error on external HDD: So just this morning, my Seagate external HDD started showing a 'The device is not ready' error when I try accessing specific folders or files. It worked fine yesterday and even works fine on a PC with I'm assuming is an old version of Windows 10. It hasn't been damaged...
  9. HDD crashed, showing as Unknown Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD crashed, showing as Unknown Device: Hello, My seagate 2TB internal HDD suddenly crashed after a couple of days of weird loading. The main problem I have is that the device is showing as Unknown Device on device manager. If i try to uninstall / Scan Hardware Changes, it just disappears. If I disable /...
  10. Copying Files to External HDD - Maxes Out for Unknown Reason

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying Files to External HDD - Maxes Out for Unknown Reason: Hello all, A customer of mine has recently purchased a new PC. I am in the process of copying her folders on her old PC to an external hard drive (500GB in size) so that they can be transferred to her new one. The old PC is running Windows 10 and is currently using...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unknown device disk drive