Windows 10: Unknown device making external drive be recognized wrong?

Discus and support Unknown device making external drive be recognized wrong? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; So, i was trying to defrag an external hdd FreeAgentGo 300 gb but then i noticed a random volume. I cant do anything to it and it says its an SSD. Then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by display name566563, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Unknown device making external drive be recognized wrong?

So, i was trying to defrag an external hdd FreeAgentGo 300 gb but then i noticed a random volume. I cant do anything to it and it says its an SSD. Then i tried to wipe my drive in Ccleaner. Ccleaner says that it is an SSD, however it is not. I suspect that the random volume may be interfering. If you have any ideas, feel free to share.

:)

display name566563, Aug 4, 2022

2. External drive not recognized

I have an external drive that is not being recognized. I have unplugged it and and plugged it back in and still not being recognized. I see it listed in device manager and it says it is working properly. In disk management it says Disk 1 Unknown not initialized.
    I have tried changing drive letters not able to do that. This happened when I disconnected an hdmi cable, The external drive stopped responded at that point so I unplugged it but when In plugged it back it is not being recognized. I can feel the disk spinning
    so it is working. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

stevemoss2, Aug 4, 2022
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Laptop doesn't recognize connected android device.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We appreciate your effort on this. We understand that when you connect your Android device to the computer it is not recognized, we will look into this for you.

As per the description, the Android device only charges when you connect it to the computer. Hence, we would like to know if you see any Unknown device in Device Manager. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + X, and select
      Device Manager.
    2. In Device Manager window, check if there is a section of
      Unknown device.
    3. If you see Unknown device, right click on it and select
      Update Device.
    4. If prompted, restart the computer.

I would also suggest you to follow the steps from the article Error:
    “USB Device not recognized” when you try to access a USB external hard drive
    except Method 2 and see if that makes any difference.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 4, 2022
  4. Zaki_j Win User

Unknown device making external drive be recognized wrong?

Toshiba external hard drive not recognized

Hi Philip,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the external hard drive is not recognized by the PC. I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue.
    It would be great if you can answer these questions to assist you in a better way.

• Did you try connecting the Hardrive to different USB Port?
    • Does the Hardrive get detected if you try connecting it to a different PC?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer recently?

I suggest you refer and follow the steps mentioned in the KB article and check if that resolves the issueError:
    “USB Device not recognized” when you try to access a USB external hard drive

Note: Ignore method 2 & 5 from the above article.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Zaki

Zaki_j, Aug 4, 2022
Thema:

Unknown device making external drive be recognized wrong?

1. Unknown device making external drive be recognized wrong? - Similar Threads - Unknown device making

2. Unknown device making external drive be recognized wrong?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown device making external drive be recognized wrong?: So, i was trying to defrag an external hdd FreeAgentGo 300 gb but then i noticed a random volume. I cant do anything to it and it says its an SSD. Then i tried to wipe my drive in Ccleaner. Ccleaner says that it is an SSD, however it is not. I suspect that the random volume...
  3. Unknown device making external drive be recognized wrong?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unknown device making external drive be recognized wrong?: So, i was trying to defrag an external hdd FreeAgentGo 300 gb but then i noticed a random volume. I cant do anything to it and it says its an SSD. Then i tried to wipe my drive in Ccleaner. Ccleaner says that it is an SSD, however it is not. I suspect that the random volume...
  4. "Unknown Device" Hard Drive Not Being Recognized - Device Not Migrated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Unknown Device" Hard Drive Not Being Recognized - Device Not Migrated: I have a gaming laptop Acer Predator Helios 300 with a secondary 2TB Seagate hard drive installed into the laptop. I am not sure when the problem started but I realized a few months ago that nothing from my hard drive was available games, pictures, video, documents and found...
  5. "Unknown Device" Hard Drive Not Being Recognized - Device Not Migrated

"Unknown Device" Hard Drive Not Being Recognized - Device Not Migrated: I have a gaming laptop Acer Predator Helios 300 with a secondary 2TB Seagate hard drive installed into the laptop. I am not sure when the problem started but I realized a few months ago that nothing from my hard drive was available games, pictures, video, documents and found...
  6. "Unknown Device" Hard Drive Not Being Recognized - Device Not Migrated

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. External drive not recognized

External drive not recognized: I have an external drive that is not being recognized. I have unplugged it and and plugged it back in and still not being recognized. I see it listed in device manager and it says it is working properly. In disk management it says Disk 1 Unknown not initialized. I have...
  8. Unknown device / external HDD

Unknown device / external HDD: For each USB HDD I plug I get an added unknown device showing under Volume/volume manager. Seagates and Western Digitals. Properties show drivers not installed. Code 28. Auto search driver yields error. found drivers for your device but encountered an error while...
  9. EXTERNAL DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED

EXTERNAL DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED: After my laptop updated to Windows 10 version 1909, it no longer recognized my 1tb Toshiba Canvio external drive. I need help resolving this issue, because all of my school work and other important things are on the drive....
  10. External Drives not recognized

External Drives not recognized: My external hard drive and USB storage device both not working properly(Windows 10 Ver. 10.0.1734 if that helps any). Have tried restarting, updating drivers etc.. Devices show in Disk Management and Devices and Printers but can't open or save anything to either of them....