Windows 10: Unknown Device on Network - In This Case, Bonjour

Discus and support Unknown Device on Network - In This Case, Bonjour in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So, there are numerous threads on this subject and I don't believe it can answered in a way that fits every possible scenario. There is no cure-all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by popsnet, Feb 14, 2019.

1. popsnet Win User

Unknown Device on Network - In This Case, Bonjour

So, there are numerous threads on this subject and I don't believe it can answered in a way that fits every possible scenario. There is no cure-all answer because there are so many variables.

Recently, I found an answer to a strange device that is presently on my network, but didn't list a MAC address in my Check Point 730 NGTP's network object table.

I'm not an Apple person, but I did give up on Android in favor of the iPhone. Hence, I'm taking hard lessons on how Apple intrudes into everyone's space. Also, because I recently deployed a home automation system running on SmartThings, I've been a bit sloppy and have everything on the same subnet. I will be changing this very soon.

I was able to identify this unknown network device by installing the Apple Store app, Network Analyzer (how original...), on my iPhone and the object was shown to have Bonjour services.

Within iOS, Bonjour has created it's own network object and is running a base of 3 services:

• _sftp-ssh._tcp
      • Secure File Transfer Protocol over SSH (via port 22)
    • _ssh._tcp
      • SSH Remote Login Protocol (via port 22)
    • _workstation._tcp
      • Workgroup Manager (via port 9) - WTH; the audacity!

Furthermore, because I have WD MyCloud and WDTV devices on my network there were 2 more services running.

(The following are an approximation. I failed to get a screenshot and unwilling to let it happen again, as I killed my WD NAS due to Western Digital being unwilling or unable to keep the backdoor shut in their code - which is well-documented on the web).

• _wd_2go
    • _mycloud_

I found my iPhone IP connecting to both WD devices every few minutes, as well as attempting to reach an external url that my Check Point filtering rules have blocked as malicious. My hunch is that Bonjour was hacked by an offending iPhone app to access the existing hack in the WD NAS devices, and possibly I haven't run that app since I reset the iPhone's network settings. I really don't have the time or expertise to work through it, so I'm just going to buy a non-WD NAS.

All that said, I still have an active network device created by Bonjour. I'm getting ready to block it's IP address on internal traffic and see what turns up in my Check Point security log.

:)

popsnet, Feb 14, 2019

2. Network devices listed under Unknown in Device Manager

I have a Dell Inspiron M731R laptop upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Home 64-Bit that suddenly quit connecting to the home network. Was using wireless, so switched to an Ethernet cable, but still no luck. I just discovered that ALL of the network-related devices are now listed under an "Unknown" tab in the Device Manager. A check of properties of each item in that folder says they are all working properly, but that obviously isn't the case. I tried uninstalling each of the 4 items, but when they are recognized again they still show up under the Unknown tab. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Unknown Device on Network - In This Case, Bonjour [​IMG]

putermaker, Feb 14, 2019
  3. X800 GTO2 = Unknown Device

I flashed the BIOS on my X800 GTO2 last night and it is listed in the Device Manager as an Unknown Device. Is this normal?

blsnelling, Feb 14, 2019
  4. Amit_Sun Win User

unknown devices appears in networks and devices

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

This issue could be caused if there was device connected to the computer previously or if there are currently any device connected to the system.

You can try the methods below and check if it fixes the issue.

Method 1: Check of WIFI security.

If you are using WIFI, hotspot or Bluetooth, I suggest you to check if all of this connection types are password protected, if your WIFI is open network then any phone or PC with WIFI can connect to your system.

Method 2: LAN check.

Check if there are any other systems connected to the same LAN network.

Method 3: Check connected devices.

1. Press Windows + R key on your keyboard together.
    2. Type control printers and hit enter.
    3. You will see all the devices and printer connected to the computer.
    4. You can right click and remove any unknown devices connected to your computer.

Method 4: Check Bluetooth and other devices.

1. Navigate to Settings > Devices.
    2. Check under Bluetooth & other devices if you have any unknown devices connected.
    3. Click on the device name and click on
      Remove Device.

If the issue persists, reply to this post with the results of the troubleshooting methods provided above so that we can narrow down the root cause of the issue.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Feb 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Unknown Device on Network - In This Case, Bonjour - Similar Threads - Unknown Device Network

2. Unknown network desktop device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown network desktop device: I recently found a network desktop device appeared in my File Explorer side bar on the Network section, which happens to be none of my devices connected to the local network I had censored the device name for reasonsThis device cluttered up my storage for some reason that I...
  3. Unknown network desktop device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown network desktop device: I recently found a network desktop device appeared in my File Explorer side bar on the Network section, which happens to be none of my devices connected to the local network I had censored the device name for reasonsThis device cluttered up my storage for some reason that I...
  4. Unknown network desktop device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. unknown device on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unknown device on network: Hello, I use WiFi Guard to monitor my network devices, and have a device showing up on the network that I cannot account for. The network belongs to my roommate, and in addition to my devices, I've identified all her devices on the network. But this one device shows up at...
  6. Unknown network infrastructure device

Unknown network infrastructure device: While I was sharing files to my PC I discovered this device that I'm not intimate with it. [ATTACH] It's named "UbeeAP". I do not own this device in my house. Only Cisco Is there a way of removing this? Thanks....
  7. Unknown phone device appearing in network

Unknown phone device appearing in network: I have an unknown phone device appearing under a network view and just disappears after about 1 minute. it is not pingable and with no ip address. [ATTACH] A day before it had a different name and mac. [ATTACH]...
  8. Unknown Devices showing up in Network

Unknown Devices showing up in Network: So, I've encountered this once before, but it's recently happened again. Got a device named 'austin' showing up in my Windows network section of Explorer. Its vendor was labelled 'Amazon', and it had no IP address - only a MAC address. To double my confusion, when I...
  9. Unknown device in network listing

Unknown device in network listing: I noticed a device that I did not recognize in my file explorer Desktop/Network The device named TB-EGARNER (my computer is Simone) Is this familiar to anyone and should I be concerned? [IMG]...
  10. unknown devices appears in networks and devices

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unknown devices appears in networks and devices: [IMG][ATTACH]Hello, when I type in the search bar (bottom left of the screen) Networks and Devices (View Computers and Networks and more below Control Panel) my router appears but there is also, and this often , another device, Sometimes it's a cell phone (named Shamu,...