Windows 10: "Unknown device" remains unknown after installing the correct drivers

Discus and support "Unknown device" remains unknown after installing the correct drivers in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've got an Xbox 360 wireless controller receiver. It stopped working with what seems to be driver issues. When it's first plugged in, device manager... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CameronKluza, May 7, 2020.

1. "Unknown device" remains unknown after installing the correct drivers

I've got an Xbox 360 wireless controller receiver. It stopped working with what seems to be driver issues. When it's first plugged in, device manager sees it as an "Unknown Device" with status:

The drivers for this device are not installed. Code 28

There are no compatible drivers for this device.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

Once the driver is installed chosen from the list of drivers: Xbox 360 Peripherals > Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows [4/17/2020] the status changes to:

No drivers are installed for this device.

It remains an "Unknown device" in device manager, and the events for the device are "Device configured null". Note that for years, installing the driver like this has always worked for this device. I've also found and tried an older driver from 8/13/2009 which also doesn't work.

So it seems even after explicitly installing the driver, Windows does not find a driver for it somehow? Any ideas on how to fix this?

:)

CameronKluza, May 7, 2020

2. X800 GTO2 = Unknown Device

I flashed the BIOS on my X800 GTO2 last night and it is listed in the Device Manager as an Unknown Device. Is this normal?

blsnelling, May 23, 2020
  3. unknown "other devices"

Hi,

Unknown devices usually show up in the Device Manager when Windows is unable to identify a piece of hardware and attempts to provide a driver for it. An unknown device isn’t just unknown — it’s not functioning until you install the right driver. Most of
    the time Windows is able to identify and download drivers automatically. In cases where it is unable to do so, you'll have to identify and look for the driver yourself.

Follow these steps to locate the Unknown Device:

1. Press Windows Key + X and select Device Manager.

2. You’ll find unknown devices and other non-functioning devices under Other devices. Each device with a problem has a little yellow exclamation mark over its icon.

To check the Hardware ID of a device, follow these steps:

1. Open the Device Manager.

2. In the Device Manager, right-click the device, and choose Properties in the popup menu.

3. Tap the Details tab.

4. Select the Hardware IDs in the drop-down list.

5. Search the web for the Hardware ID using your browser. You should be able to get the name of the piece of hardware associated with the unknown device.

6. Get the driver for the device and install it normally.

Let us know if you require further assistance.

Regards.

Rolando Vil, May 23, 2020
  4. Sasqui Win User

"Unknown device" remains unknown after installing the correct drivers

Unknown Device?

Shit, I left the drivers in when I installed my HD 2900 XT, I get a 'file already or driver already exists' error in CAT 7.9 and unknown device when I rebooted:

"Unknown device" remains unknown after installing the correct drivers [​IMG]

ATI removal, drivercleaner pro. Tried two times.

How did you fix?

Sasqui, May 23, 2020
Thema:

"Unknown device" remains unknown after installing the correct drivers

1. "Unknown device" remains unknown after installing the correct drivers - Similar Threads - Unknown device remains

2. Unknown driver in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown driver in Device Manager: Hi,In device manager of Windows 11 Pro I have unknown device with the following ID: ACPI\VEN_INTC&DEV_1085 ACPI\INTC1085 *INTC1085 This is the last error after installation of device software. Local ASUS support has not solved the problem yet and escalated it to global...
  3. Unknown driver in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown driver in Device Manager: Hi,In device manager of Windows 11 Pro I have unknown device with the following ID: ACPI\VEN_INTC&DEV_1085 ACPI\INTC1085 *INTC1085 This is the last error after installation of device software. Local ASUS support has not solved the problem yet and escalated it to global...
  4. Unknown Device and Driver

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unknown Device and Driver: So I Bricked My Phone And Now its a "UNKNOWN DEVICE" so I installed The "MediaTek Drivers" and Tried to Use Them as My phones Driver.... But The MediaTek Drivers Didn't show In The Drivers List I tried To select Them manually but It said That The driver is not 64x Even though...
  5. Driver does not install on an unknown device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Driver does not install on an unknown device: Hello I recently updated to the latest version of W10 and I noticed my Xbox 360 wireless receiver was not working. I then checked my device manager and found out it was listed as an "unknown device". Beware all screenshots are in italian, but it shouldn't be too hard to...
  6. Unknown device drivers not installing manually

Unknown device drivers not installing manually: Up until my update this morning I have had a wireless adapter for my Xbox 360 controller. I have been manually assigning it driver updates but this time, I try to update it and nothing happens. I go to manage devices Other devices Unknown device Browse my computer Pick...
  7. Unknown device stays unknown after downloading drivers.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unknown device stays unknown after downloading drivers.: Just had to reset my computer. An old Xbox 360 wireless receiver I've been using for ages always needed to get drivers installed when plugged in to a new PC. Usually i click update drivers select manually and browse the list of drivers til i get to the correct section. Xbox...
  8. Can't install drivers for unknown device in device manager

Can't install drivers for unknown device in device manager: I am having an issue where I try to apply a driver to an "Unknown Device" I apply a driver that is Digitally signed it says it updated the device but when device manager refreshes it still says unknown device as if it was never updated. I tried this on a 2nd computer and it...
  9. Battery unknown remaining

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Battery unknown remaining: About a week ago, my laptop started to stop showing the remaining battery and instead showed "Unknown remaining". It would shut down all of a sudden although I did charge overnight, and was only turned on when I plugged in the charger. However, when it is plugged in it showed...
  10. Battery not detected (Unknown remaining)

Battery not detected (Unknown remaining): Good day, I'm having battery problems on my Sager NP8372. First, the battery icon on the taskbar suddenly switches back and forth from the default battery icon to “no battery detected” icon and changes my brightness setting. It just happens intermittently, and I don’t know...