Windows 10: Unknown folder cannot be deleted

Discus and support Unknown folder cannot be deleted in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How do I fill out my system specs? There doesn't seem to be a way to type anything in. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by esebm, Jul 28, 2016.

1. esebm Win User

Unknown folder cannot be deleted

How do I fill out my system specs?
    There doesn't seem to be a way to type anything in.

esebm, Jul 30, 2016

2. You have to be logged in, then click on this: User CP >Edit System Spec
    The global forum link takes you directly to your profile.

Unknown folder cannot be deleted [​IMG]

Slartybart, Jul 30, 2016
  3. esebm Win User
    OK, filled it out.

As to the explorer view, there is no creation date. See attachment.

esebm, Jul 30, 2016
  4. Unknown folder cannot be deleted

Thanks, the image helps identify where you are seeing this.

Please expand GX620 and post another image.

Please post the link to your Speccy. (post# 13)

If you want to remove Network completely from the navigation pane:
    Network in Navigation Pane - Add or Remove in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

If you want to remove Homegroup completely from the navigation pane:
    Homegroup in Navigation Pane - Add or Remove in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

If you need a network reference on the navigation pane, please describe your network setup.

Slartybart, Jul 30, 2016
  5. esebm Win User
    I've attached the expanded view.
    I don't want to remove the network completely and I don't want to remove the home group.
    I just want to remove that darn GX folder.

esebm, Jul 30, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    That is a network device, not the driver that we thought. Could be a Streaming device, tablet, handset, Flatscreen TV or just a ghost when you were on someone else's network, whether it was public or private.

bro67, Jul 31, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    It is not a folder, it is a device on your network or a ghost from when you were on another network. You also cannot remove Homegroup, because it is embedded in the Windows code.

To help you out, take a deep breathe. What you are seeing is just a name that Windows or whatever hardware device that is, assigned to it for the Network name. To associate Network names with IP's, you can use IPScan. Free IP Scanner: a very fast IP scanner and port scanner. It will show IP, Workgroup, Host Name (that is what you are seeing in the Network. Commonly known as the device name also), along with MAC ID. You can specify the end range so that you do not see all 254 IP's scanned, even if a device is not associated with it. You can also use Advanced IP Scanner. Both are safe downloads, Advanced IP Scanner is a lot more user friendly. Advanced IP Scanner - Download Free Network Scanner.

bro67, Jul 31, 2016
  8. esebm Win User

Well, I have installed that Advanced IP Scanner and it turns out that it's a Dell thing. I have no idea how it got on my PC. Now, how do I delete or un-install it?

esebm, Jul 31, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    You cannot. It is a network device that possibly Windows thinks that the MAC ID on it is a Dell Computer or a network device that Dell brands. Possible that that chipset or group of MAC ID numbers were used by Dell for some of the brands that they had purchased and then rebaged the name.

Find the IP with that Hostname and then go into your Gateway to see if it is in the IP Table. That will also mean going to every device in your home to find out which one has that MAC ID. As long as the device is connected to your network, it will always appear in Windows as a device that is connected. Not much that you can do just because of the name of the device. I would not really get up tight when it may be as I stated above. If your network is secure and no one can get in from the outside, every device is clean, just move on at this point.

bro67, Aug 1, 2016
  10. esebm Win User
    So I just leave it alone and get on with my life?
    Thanks a lot for all the help.
    Ed

esebm, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unknown folder cannot be deleted - Similar Threads - Unknown folder cannot

2. UNKNOWN folders with some characters and not able to delete the folders.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UNKNOWN folders with some characters and not able to delete the folders.: Hi Support,I am using Windows 10 OS. I am able to see some of the unknown folders with some characters.If I open it, nothing is there in that folder.I am not able to Delete that folder.What is the root cause of the issue and how to delete the folder.Your immediate response &...
  3. UNKNOWN folders with some characters and not able to delete the folders.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    UNKNOWN folders with some characters and not able to delete the folders.: Hi Support,I am using Windows 10 OS. I am able to see some of the unknown folders with some characters.If I open it, nothing is there in that folder.I am not able to Delete that folder.What is the root cause of the issue and how to delete the folder.Your immediate response &...
  4. UNKNOWN folders with some characters and not able to delete the folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Cannot Delete a folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Delete a folder: [ATTACH] New drive is created automatically [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-delete-a-folder/5aacf868-efc9-473e-bea1-7a5b0fd9c9c7
  6. Cannot delete folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot delete folders: I have a bunch of folders which either are empty or I want to delete it. But when I try to delete it, it says the folder’s in use (even though it’s not) or it just doesn’t pop any of windows or confirmation window out. So what exactly is happening? submitted by /u/kolbyng...
  7. Cannot delete folder

Cannot delete folder: I am the administrator and I cannot delete a folder. When I try to Change Ownership from SYSTEM [ATTACH] the window modal blinks and then Change is greyed out. [ATTACH] I've tried deleting from command prompt as well, but I get Access Denied....
  8. cannot delete folder

cannot delete folder: At my desktop, I create a folder but when I am going to delete the folder it shows an error message -"could not find this item". How can I solve this issue? Though I find an article on a website it does not fic my problem....
  9. Cannot delete folder

Cannot delete folder: I have seen a few posts about how to delete a file or folder when 'Item Not Found' and 'Could not find this item' dialogue appears, but the thread is locked. I have tried to follow the answer given, re command prompt, but could not make it work. I am not a skilled user in...
  10. Cannot Delete a Folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot Delete a Folder: When I try to delete the remaining folder after uninstalling a software in Program Files I get a message: "You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this folder", although I'm the administrator. Please help me to fix this problem. 43032