Windows 10: Unknown local drive after a backup

Discus and support Unknown local drive after a backup in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have an external drive of 1tb L: that I use to store all of my pictures on. I have another external drive of 3tb K: that is designated for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KasiaMN, Jan 15, 2020.

1. KasiaMN Win User

Unknown local drive after a backup

Hi,

I have an external drive of 1tb L: that I use to store all of my pictures on. I have another external drive of 3tb K: that is designated for backups of the internal drives but I also wanted to backup the smaller drive and store the backup on the larger drive.

I sat down to it yesterday and used the AOMEI Standard Backupper. The files were copied and stored on the larger drive as a zip file.

I have noticed only today that a new local drive M: appeared in the "This PC" view that corresponds to the size of the smaller drive and lists all its folders upon opening. It shows the same amount of space used etc but the folders are empty.

It does not appear in the Disk Management window and doesn't seem to take up any additional space but why does it appear at all?

Is there a way to hide/remove it?

Unknown local drive after a backup 5314b7be-ca29-4d69-b646-060bd91f14f6?upload=true.png

:)

KasiaMN, Jan 15, 2020
  2. Jomel Ber Win User

Unknown drive

Hi Harold,

The unknown drive could be a system recovery drive or some other drive which you don't have access to it. You may follow these steps to check what kind of drive it is:

• Click on Search bar.
    • Type diskmgmt.msc.
    • Check description of the ESP (FUnknown local drive after a backup :) drive. Also check whether the drive is recovery drive or System Drive.
    You may also refer to this link for Disk cleanup in Windows 10.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Jomel Ber, Jan 15, 2020
  3. Geekoid Win User
    Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Jan 15, 2020
  4. Meghana C Win User

issue with backup options Windows 10

Hi David,

I will certainly help with the issue you are facing with backup option.

To assist you better, kindly provide the information:

• How exactly are you trying to perform back up? Is it from the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) or File History?

• Which drive have you selected to back up? Is it an external drive or a network drive or a local drive of the system?

• When you say 'only allows me to do another backup with the same options', which options are you referring to?

• Are you unable to select a different drive for a backup from the backup destination list?
    If you are using a Backup and Restore (Windows 7) option then, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Type backup and restore in the search bar and press enter.

• Click on setup backup option.

• Click on refresh button to check if the drives are visible in the
      backup destination list.

• Choose the drive which you want to back up and click on
      next.
    If you are trying to use file history I suggest you to un-plug it and restart your computer. Re-plug the external drive and check if the file history options are available.

Please get back to us with the information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Meghana C, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Unknown local drive after a backup - Similar Threads - Unknown local drive

2. Unknown, Uninitialised drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unknown, Uninitialised drive.: I know that similar problem had occured here many times already, however no solution I found and felt safe enough to execute worked.I recently installed a new internal drive on my computer and found out in disk manager that this disk is Unknown, uninitialised, uninitialasable...
  3. Automate daily Backup for Specific Folder to my local drive and network drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Automate daily Backup for Specific Folder to my local drive and network drive: Hi, How can I Automate daily Backup for Specific Folder to my local drive and network drive by using windows built-in features? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automate-daily-backup-for-specific-folder-to-my/0f40b3f0-d13a-46b7-b509-750a68d9630c
  4. Local USB Backup Drive moved to Network Drive ?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Local USB Backup Drive moved to Network Drive ?: Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 I have a 4TB USB drive I'm currently using for Windows File Backup. I want to move this to a NAS Drive configuration using a Raspberry Pi using this tutorial: How to Turn a Raspberry Pi into a Low-Power Network Storage Device...
  5. Unknown Local Area Connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unknown Local Area Connection: I have an unknown local area connection showing up in my WiFi list, which shows as connected, although I'm not connected via ethernet to any source. I'm using a laptop, and this is also preventing me from connecting automatically joining any WiFi sources. It appeared a while...
  6. Local D backup drive is full? How to fix?

Local D backup drive is full? How to fix?: Hello, When my desktop was installed a local D drive was created for backups I believe. It has been full and I continue to get warnings. How can I allocate more space or change backup destination? Thanks, Greg...
  7. Unknown Disc Drive

Unknown Disc Drive: Using File Explorer I noticed that I had a disc drive indicated as 'USB Drive (F:)' This puzzled me as I don't have any USB drives connected; neither are there any card reader slots which may have been a reason. I checked, via Administrative Tools/Computer Management, and...
  8. Unknown Local Disk drive

Unknown Local Disk drive: I have an unknown drive on my computer. My computer is about 3 years old. It has a Windows C drive, a Recovery D drive, a DVD E drive and a Local Disk F drive (which has 896 MB free of 914 MB and the Properties say it was created on May 21, 2018). What can this F drive be...
  9. Trying to set a backup to my local network drive

Trying to set a backup to my local network drive: It won't let me do so as I don't have a password set up on my network? Why is this? My network doesn't insist on a password, I don't want or need to set a password, so why should Windows 10 back up?...
  10. Unknown drive Z:

Unknown drive Z:: Recently a unknown drive Z: appeared in my system, when I tried to open it, the message showed. Could someone tell me what it is and how to get rid of it? [img] 66915