Windows 10: Unknown Programs in Windows Setting but not in Task Manager

Discus and support Unknown Programs in Windows Setting but not in Task Manager in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, A few days ago, I discovered a line in the Windows Settings->Startup Apps page for a program that doesn't seem to show up anywhere else, like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Stingray36, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Unknown Programs in Windows Setting but not in Task Manager

Hello,

A few days ago, I discovered a line in the Windows Settings->Startup Apps page for a program that doesn't seem to show up anywhere else, like in Task Manager or Autoruns. The item disappears from the screen with each refresh and usually reappears an hour or two later. It's identified by a string of 1 to 3 unicode characters that change with each reappearance. Here's an image of the first time I saw it:

Unknown Programs in Windows Setting but not in Task Manager 5b9a7a2b-111a-4a9f-acb2-f830d7d094ed?upload=true.png

Following that, I have seen the same program reappear twice with distinct identifiers. I believe it is the same program because the first time it showed up, it was set to open on startup. I turned it off and in all the subsequent appearances, it has stayed off.

I've run Malwarebytes and RogueKiller anti-malware programs, but after deleting the few items that were flagged, the mystery program showed up again.

Has anyone else encountered something like this before?

Thank you!

:)

Stingray36, Apr 10, 2021

2. Unknown program in Task Manager-Startup Programs

I am using Windows 10 Home up-to-date. Just found this entry (Program) in my Task Manager-Startup Programs. It has no identification except 'Program' . On right click it doesn't show any properties or location just the enable or disable button. I have disabled it but am just curious as to what I can do to remove this program. Thanks for any info I can get on this.

Unknown Programs in Windows Setting but not in Task Manager [​IMG]

Paliser326, Apr 10, 2021
  3. Program on Task Manager Startup tab

Hey Guys,
    This is my first post here as I just joined, but the timing was good as I had this same unknown "program" show up in Task Manager yesterday and didn't know what to make of it. Then I came across your thread here and decided to try Topgundcp's suggestion of adding the 'command line' to the category headings and it worked (tipping the hat to Topgundcp)! The unknown program apparently belongs to Send Anywhere, which would make sense as I believe it had recently been tagged as a pup and quarantined on my system... Thanks for the help....

Unknown Programs in Windows Setting but not in Task Manager [​IMG]

ScottATL999, Apr 10, 2021
  4. Unknown Programs in Windows Setting but not in Task Manager

Task manager instantly closes after opend

Hello,

As an initial troubleshooting step, it would be best to scan for any unknown software that may affect other programs on your computer like your Task Manager.

Can you let us know if you are using Windows Defender as your anti virus program? If so, we suggest that you scan you computer right away.

Let us know how it goes.

Jennifer Bri, Apr 10, 2021
Thema:

Unknown Programs in Windows Setting but not in Task Manager

1. Unknown Programs in Windows Setting but not in Task Manager - Similar Threads - Unknown Programs Setting

2. Task Manager is an app from an "unknown publisher"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager is an app from an "unknown publisher"?: I just did a fresh Windows 11 installation. All of the most recent updates have been successfully installed.When I start Task Manager, I get a popup that says "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?"I thought this might be a...
  3. No programs appearing in Startup setting page or in Task Manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    No programs appearing in Startup setting page or in Task Manager: Not a single program appears in the Startup setting page or in Task Manager. I can still edit the little sorting tool for programs name, status, startup impact I've done a fresh reset of windows deleting all of my programs but keeping files. I've updated all drivers and...
  4. Task Manager and other programs give unknown publisher warning

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Task Manager and other programs give unknown publisher warning: I have fairly frequently run Task Manager and Power shell, probably daily. Today, trying to run both Powershell and Task Manager and also when I looked at creating a restore point I get a dialog box which says that Powershell.exe Taskmgr.exe have an "Unknown Publisher" and I...
  5. A suspiciuos task "Windows" with unknown publisher in startup menu of task manager.

A suspiciuos task "Windows" with unknown publisher in startup menu of task manager.: [ATTACH]I just saw a task called "Windows" with an unknown publisher in startup menu as you can see in screenshot. Tell me that is it a legit task? Is it a common task in every PC?...
  6. Task Manager Settings

Task Manager Settings: Time shows on Task Manager on Task Bar. Would like Date to show as well. How do I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-manager-settings/b9ff03b5-a332-4e45-8293-6993b0cf9b7b
  7. Program is suspended in Windows Task Manager

Program is suspended in Windows Task Manager: I have Windows 10, and found many reports that programs get suspended by Windows as shown in the Windows Task Manager. These reports span multiple versions of Windows, such as Windows 7, 8 and Windows 10. I was inflicted with the same issue and it was frustrating to find no...
  8. Strange Unknown Programs Running in Task Manager!!

Strange Unknown Programs Running in Task Manager!!: Since earlier today I have noticed two strange processes running in my Task Manager and it has made me quite worried as I have never seen these tasks before and am unable to find any information regarding them only and was wondering if anyone could help me identify what they...
  9. Unknown program in Task Manager-Startup Programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown program in Task Manager-Startup Programs: I am using Windows 10 Home up-to-date. Just found this entry (Program) in my Task Manager-Startup Programs. It has no identification except 'Program' . On right click it doesn't show any properties or location just the enable or disable button. I have disabled it but am just...
  10. Task Manager Startup Flooded With Unknown Apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Manager Startup Flooded With Unknown Apps: I'm not sure if this is a virus of some sort, but it's really worrying me. The Downsize and Excavations tasks are obviously unnatural, and every time I found their original file location and deleted them, a new one would pop up. Now I cant find the file location at all...