Windows 10: Unknown Publisher when trying the installerexe/msi on windows 10

Discus and support Unknown Publisher when trying the installerexe/msi on windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm using Visual Studio 2019 and have build "Installersmsi/exe" using "Setup Wizard". When i'm running the set.exe installer, the application... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ram_482, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Ram_482 Win User

Unknown Publisher when trying the installerexe/msi on windows 10

I'm using Visual Studio 2019 and have build "Installersmsi/exe" using "Setup Wizard".
    When i'm running the set.exe installer, the application "publisher" is being reported as "Unknown".
    I've gone through some references and found that the setup.exe needs to be digitally signed with the certificate. So,
    i have followed below steps to add digital signature to the setup.exe
    1. Create Digital certificate https://knowledge.digicert.com/solution/SO26065.html
    2. Using signtool i have digitally signed setup.exe
    signtool.exe sign /f "E:\sample.pfx" /p "sample@123" /trhttp://timestamp.comodoca.com/rfc3161 /v "E:\setup.exeWhen i try to run setup.exe locally, the application "publisher" is reported as "localhost" instead of "Unknown", but if i
    run the same setup.exe on another system application "publisher" is reported as "Unknown"Please provide any suggestions on fixing this "Unknown Publisher" issue

:)

Ram_482, Feb 16, 2020
  2. chaithraM Win User

MSI & EXE installation throwing pop up as unknown publisher on Windows 10 - 1607 and 1709 update

I am trying to install an EXE which is a wrapper to the MSI on Windows 10 - 1607 and 1709 versions of OS which is throwing a pop up as
    unknown publisher. (both EXE and MSI is throwing the pop up)

We have the .pfx files and the installer should not show unknown publisher.

NOTE: this issue was not observed in the previous version of Windows(7 & 10).

Please let us know if there is any specific UAC changes as part of these latest WIN10 updates and workaround for the same.

chaithraM, Feb 16, 2020
  3. How do I unblock a publisher in windows 10?

I have gone through the steps as suggested above BUT interestingly don't see an publisher listed under the "Untrusted Publishers" but still get the same error box as shared above.

Screenshot

I wonder why?

Tanveer Malik, Feb 16, 2020
  4. BulldogXX Win User

unknown publisher

Hey, J.K. Rowling was an unknown publisher before Harry Potter, and look what happened to her.

But in your case, the 'unknown publisher' refers to the security certificate that vouches for a software program. These certificates need to be renewed annually or they become invalid, and Windows won't run software with an invalid security certificate.
    CM Tray is part of a very old program. Upgrade to the most recent version of the program, which will likely have a valid security certificate.

BulldogXX, Feb 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Unknown Publisher when trying the installerexe/msi on windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unknown Publisher trying

2. Is it expected behavior when a Windows 8.1 iso file says Unknown Publisher?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it expected behavior when a Windows 8.1 iso file says Unknown Publisher?: Using a Windows 10 PC, I downloaded Windows 8.1 iso using a link from here:https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows8ISOin order to re-install Windows 8.1 on another machine.When I right-click the file, and choose: burn disc image, I get the warning that...
  3. Is it expected behavior when a Windows 8.1 iso file says Unknown Publisher?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it expected behavior when a Windows 8.1 iso file says Unknown Publisher?: Using a Windows 10 PC, I downloaded Windows 8.1 iso using a link from here:https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows8ISOin order to re-install Windows 8.1 on another machine.When I right-click the file, and choose: burn disc image, I get the warning that...
  4. Unknown Publisher!!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unknown Publisher!!: i have ran into today a UAC from a program i downloaded saying it was a Unknown publisher the program is ROBOMIND and it downloaded it from the official site! so question: Can i trust it and click, yes? is robomind even safe? and have you tried and experienced found any...
  5. Unknown Publisher for when trying the installerexe/msi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unknown Publisher for when trying the installerexe/msi: I'm using Visual Studio 2019 and have build "Installersmsi/exe" using "Setup Wizard". When i'm running the set.exe installer, the application "publisher" is being reported as "Unknown". I've gone through some references and found that the setup.exe needs to be digitally...
  6. WordPad.exe is suddenly "Publisher: Unknown"

WordPad.exe is suddenly "Publisher: Unknown": I think this must have happened since Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903, I now have to OK it with UAC. Of course I can manage but it's a nuisance and whyever can't Microsoft recognise its own app? And can I fix it? *Huh 138173
  7. Windows 10: cant install java (Unknown publisher error )

Windows 10: cant install java (Unknown publisher error ): [img] Help ? 131870
  8. Windows 10: cant install java (Unknown publisher error )

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10: cant install java (Unknown publisher error ): [img] Help ? 131870
  9. Get setup.exe from unknown publisher when trying to uninstall program installed from known...

Get setup.exe from unknown publisher when trying to uninstall program installed from known...: I downloaded ScanSnap IX500 setup program from internet, and when I installed it, windows verified its signature. Something went wrong and I tried to uninstall ScanSnap Manager, but during this process I get: "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make...
  10. MSI & EXE installation throwing pop up as unknown publisher on Windows 10 - 1607 and 1709...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MSI & EXE installation throwing pop up as unknown publisher on Windows 10 - 1607 and 1709...: I am trying to install an EXE which is a wrapper to the MSI on Windows 10 - 1607 and 1709 versions of OS which is throwing a pop up as unknown publisher. (both EXE and MSI is throwing the pop up) We have the .pfx files and the installer should not show unknown publisher....