Windows 10: Unknown Space - Not System Restore Files

Discus and support Unknown Space - Not System Restore Files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've had this issue on every Windows 7 and onwards PC I've owned and it's the dreaded "unknown" space being used that gets bigger and bigger until it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by crooky, Jun 14, 2017.

1. crooky Win User

Unknown Space - Not System Restore Files

I've had this issue on every Windows 7 and onwards PC I've owned and it's the dreaded "unknown" space being used that gets bigger and bigger until it becomes noticeable. The issue is this time is it doesn't seem like the easy delete the system restore files option within Computer > System > System Protection

Unknown Space - Not System Restore Files [​IMG]

Here's the System Protection settings pages plus the command "VSSAdmin list shadowstorage" run as administrator which confirms no space is being used by shadow copies.

Something that is probably worth saying is that I recently moved from a HDD to a SSD by cloning the original HDD. Since then Programs and Features has not been displaying the file sizes of programs correctly with a number of them being exactly 6.51GB and others despite being 20+GB games (Project Cars) showing as having no file size at all!

This doesn't match the file sizes that Steam is reporting:

Anyone got any ideas on what this could be or a way of locating this unknown space?

Thanks.

:)

crooky, Jun 14, 2017
  2. HelpQK Win User

Start screen / desktop suddenly changed

Every time I try to do a system restore, it says that an unknown error occurred and that it kept my files the same.

HelpQK, Jun 14, 2017
  3. Why I'm losing restore points in windows 10?

If you have important files and program files, it is best not to rely on System Restore. Making an occasional Windows 10 image backup is a good practice.

You can also try increasing the allocated space for the System Restore.

As mentioned by Greg, in 120gb systems, system restore is disabled. It is maybe due to disk space limitations. So, your 80gb Windows partition is, in my opinion, a factor as to why you are having issues with system restore.

Cheers!

a0158b05-5cd2-4000-9d6b-58fec9f85b15, Jun 14, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, solely commenting on Windirstat- you peculiar folder sizes aside- you may have seen
    What is ? | WinDirStat propaganda blog

dalchina, Jun 14, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    Try running Treesize Free as administrator - perhaps that will help identify it.

6. crooky Win User
    What do I look for in Treesize? I do have it already but it didn't seem to show anything useful from what I could tell.

crooky, Jun 14, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    The unknown 54.4 GB I suppose. If the totals are the same in WinDirStat and TreeSize then that 54GB must be shown somewhere in TreeSize - from your first post perhaps games.

You could start with each top level directory (Program Files, Users, Windows etc) in both programs. Then compare the totals and drill down into directories where totals are different (assuming there are any).

8. crooky Win User

Thanks very much. The issue was with the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder for some reason* I had lost permissions to it. It'd become read only, hidden and unable to be accessed until I added my account as an owner of the folder. After that I was able to have the permissions to access this folder again.

*Might have been some issue with uninstalling the Forza Horizon 3 demo
    Here's a before and after on WinDirStat and Treesize

Before:

After:

crooky, Jun 15, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    You never had full control permissions for it. In a default clean install the owner should be TrustedInstaller and you should only have execute permissions.

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unknown Space - Not System Restore Files - Similar Threads - Unknown Space System

2. System Restore run out of disk space while restoring your files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore run out of disk space while restoring your files: Hello all,let me dive straight in. Searched for possible solutions here and on some other sites, tried a few solutions but still getting an error.It started with an Opera browser update going wrong on 16/10Can't open user profile directory, because you lack sufficient...
  3. System Restore run out of disk space while restoring your files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore run out of disk space while restoring your files: Hello all,let me dive straight in. Searched for possible solutions here and on some other sites, tried a few solutions but still getting an error.It started with an Opera browser update going wrong on 16/10Can't open user profile directory, because you lack sufficient...
  4. System Restore run out of disk space while restoring your files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. unknown files in my system

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unknown files in my system: I cant find what files / programs occupies my system. Now, the system is almost full even though I havent save anything on it and I didnt do download much on the computer. I use this machine for emails and browsing only so it should not occupy the storage much....
  6. unknown files in my system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unknown files in my system: I cant find what files / programs occupies my system. Now, the system is almost full even though I havent save anything on it and I didnt do download much on the computer. I use this machine for emails and browsing only so it should not occupy the storage much....
  7. unknown files in my system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. System Restore space

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore space: Much much space do you allow for system restore points. Is there a general rule. Like to hear your thoughts on this. 180690
  9. Unknown files occupying space

Unknown files occupying space: My laptop has space issues. The SSD has 237 space capacity, using around 110gb of space, but there is/are unknown files occupying space. I have tried all possible solutions, deleted windows.old folder, deleted all system restore files, limited space usage by system restore,...
  10. File System restore

File System restore: Have new PC. Made mistake of syncing with old PC. This really messed up my file system by importing the old PC file system to new PC. Now I can't find anything in my file system structure. What should I do?F...