Windows 10: Unknown Space taking up huge amount of space in external hard drive

Discus and support Unknown Space taking up huge amount of space in external hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The SSD external harddrive has 4TB space capacity, using around 27gb of space, but there is/are unknown files occupying space. I have tried all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by XingweiHong, May 15, 2022.

1. Unknown Space taking up huge amount of space in external hard drive

The SSD external harddrive has 4TB space capacity, using around 27gb of space, but there is/are unknown files occupying space. I have tried all possible solutions, deleting folders, show hidden files, etc. I even tried reformat it, however, when I start to transfer files back in as a backup from my main laptop, this issue always happen. I saw the transfer of files, but the folders inside the SSD is empty, but it takes up space as unknown. I know this is not an issue as it wasn't a problem for another external hard drive of mine. I am using window 10 Home

:)

XingweiHong, May 15, 2022

2. Windows is taking up too much hard drive space.

Hi Trisha,

Windows might have been accumulated large drive space due to installed apps, temporary files, or etc. For us to identify which item mostly accumulates your drive space, we suggest that you check it here:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Storage, and then press Enter.
    • Under Local Storage, click on This
      PC (CUnknown Space taking up huge amount of space in external hard drive :).
    • On this window, you will see which item mot accumulate your drive space.

We also recommend that you follow the steps given on this article on how to
    free up drive space in Windows 10
    . Click on every drop down to view the steps.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Janeane Cru, May 15, 2022
  3. Freeing up space on hard drive

Windows 7 has a nasty problem of eating up all disk space in the following two folders:

• C:\Windows\Logs\CBS
    • C:\Windows\Temp
    You can delete the contents of both directories without impact. Some files will not be able to be deleted because they are in use. You can skip those, and should not try to delete them.

Additionally, there are many common methods that you can try to free up hard drive space on your Windows 7.

Otherwise reading:

What's Taking up Space on My Hard Drive and How to Free up Space

PeterPeng3, May 15, 2022
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Unknown Space taking up huge amount of space in external hard drive

System Taking Like All of my space ._.

Windows File Explorer is not great at finding out where your hard drive space is being used . . .

• Click HERE to download a small free utility Called TreeSize.
    • Run that utility as Administrator
    • Point it to your C Drive
    • Let the list of files/folders build
    • Expand out the folder(s) that are taking all your hard drive space
    • Please provide a screenshot of the resulting window in order for us to make a better analysis of what is happening with your system and suggest a remedy

DaveM121, May 15, 2022
Thema:

Unknown Space taking up huge amount of space in external hard drive

1. Unknown Space taking up huge amount of space in external hard drive - Similar Threads - Unknown Space taking

2. WindowsApps Folder taking huges amount of space

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    WindowsApps Folder taking huges amount of space: hello i notice a computer our compagnies that have a 256 GB HDD the windowsApps Folder is taking 190 GB of space some apps are not even installed like HiddenCityMysteryofShadows or DisneyMagicKingdoms etc...the folder is present with different version.so how can i remove...
  3. WindowsApps Folder taking huges amount of space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WindowsApps Folder taking huges amount of space: hello i notice a computer our compagnies that have a 256 GB HDD the windowsApps Folder is taking 190 GB of space some apps are not even installed like HiddenCityMysteryofShadows or DisneyMagicKingdoms etc...the folder is present with different version.so how can i remove...
  4. WindowsApps Folder taking huges amount of space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unknown Space taking up huge amount of space in external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown Space taking up huge amount of space in external hard drive: The SSD external harddrive has 4TB space capacity, using around 27gb of space, but there is/are unknown files occupying space. I have tried all possible solutions, deleting folders, show hidden files, etc. I even tried reformat it, however, when I start to transfer files back...
  6. Unknown Space taking up huge amount of space in external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown Space taking up huge amount of space in external hard drive: The SSD external harddrive has 4TB space capacity, using around 27gb of space, but there is/are unknown files occupying space. I have tried all possible solutions, deleting folders, show hidden files, etc. I even tried reformat it, however, when I start to transfer files back...
  7. Windows 'system and reserved' taking up a huge amount of space in an unknown location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 'system and reserved' taking up a huge amount of space in an unknown location: I tried to install a large game, and I realized my computer was running out of space. When went to the Storage Settings, I saw that 145 GB of my Local Disk C I only have Disk was being used up out of 167 GB. When I clicked on show more categories, 86.4 GB was being used up by...
  8. Huge file taking up space

Huge file taking up space: Is this file safe to delete? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/huge-file-taking-up-space/0ce72527-8b32-41c1-b280-0d8b45cf4a73
  9. WSL take huge amount of disk space??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WSL take huge amount of disk space??: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/6razyboy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e7t8lq/wsl_take_huge_amount_of_disk_space/
  10. PCDr taking a huge amount of space in the ProgramData folder

PCDr taking a huge amount of space in the ProgramData folder: I've seen another thread in this forum regarding PCDr (a folder within the ProgramData folder) and a couple of answers suggesting it could be either Dell software or malware. I have a Dell desktop myself, and I looked a bit more carefully at the contents of this folder when I...