Windows 10: "Unknown" status under "Virus & Threat protection"

Discus and support "Unknown" status under "Virus & Threat protection" in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I am using Win 10 Home ver 1903 build 18362.959. I have a problem with Windows Security App: When I open the Windows Security window, under the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Jim9982, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Jim9982 Win User

"Unknown" status under "Virus & Threat protection"

Hi,

I am using Win 10 Home ver 1903 build 18362.959.

I have a problem with Windows Security App:

When I open the Windows Security window, under the "Virus & Threat protection", it reads "Unknown".

When I try to turn on the Real-time protection using "Virus & Threat protection settings", it automatically and immediately turns off without any messages.

On the Protection updates window, "Security Intelligence version", "version created on" and "latest update" entries all read "Not available". Checking for updates makes no changes.

Basic Checks:
    - I have no other antivirus software installed before or now.
    - Computer restarted several times. No change,
    - Windows update is executed: Reports "You're up to date", no flags,
    - "System File Checker" is executed and no flags,
    - DISM CheckHealth is executed and no flags,
    - Computer scanned with latest Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool: no flags,
    - I do not have "DisableAntiSpyware" or "DisableRealtimeMonitoring" entries in the registery ie under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\" etc.

Additional Checks:
    - "Security Center" Service is running, however I cannot Stop/Restart this service all options grayed out.
    - Executing "Get-Service windefend.Status" in PowerShell as admin gives "Running",
    - Executing " Get-MpComputerStatus" in PowerShell as admin gives "A general error occurred that is not covered by a more specific error code.",
    - Executing "MpCmdRun.exe -GetFiles, gives MpSigSub.log showing that signatures are upto-date.

Any help towards identifying the root-cause welcomed.

PS:
    - Please do not reply saying "reinstall windows": My question is to identify the root-cause. I know how to do "clean install of Windows".

- I am aware of: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-gui-malfunctioning/9c10fce2-89c0-4db4-97a2-023942e3724e
    Unfortunately, that does not help, as it is related to specific Asus tool which is not used on this computer.

Thanks,
    -Jim

:)

Jim9982, Aug 2, 2020
  2. graemea Win User

Persistent Threat Message in Virus & Threat Protection in Windows 10

Hi,

I have recently uninstalled CCleaner from my PC.

Under Current Threats in Virus & Threat Protection, I keep getting the message that there's a threat from App"Unknown" status under "Virus & Threat protection" :piriform_CCleaner.

I've tried the option to Remove this but even after a re-boot the message remains.

Can someone please suggest how to resolve this?

Thanks!

graemea, Aug 2, 2020
  3. virus and threat protection

My status is showing that Your virus and threat protection is managed by your organisation....

Is this an issue???

PankajKumar1991, Aug 2, 2020
  4. JCH54 Win User

virus and threat protection

Virus and threat protection has stopped and will not restart, Windows 10 ver 1709, antimalware client ver 4.12.16299.15 . SuperAntiSpyware installed.

I have tried most of the suggestions from the support pages, all have been ineffective. Any suggestions

Moved from: Virus and Malware / Windows Defender / Updating Virus and Spyware Definitions / Windows 10

JCH54, Aug 2, 2020
Thema:

1. "Unknown" status under "Virus & Threat protection" - Similar Threads - Unknown status under

2. Security Threats Under Virus & threat protection and Protection History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Security Threats Under Virus & threat protection and Protection History: I have Windows 10 Home 21H1 OS Build 19043.2251.Under Virus & Threat Protection there is PUA:Win32/Solvusoft. How do I remove this without me personally touching registries? I do not want to manually touch registries. I already deleted the file download that triggered this....
  3. Security Threats Under Virus & threat protection and Protection History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Security Threats Under Virus & threat protection and Protection History: I have Windows 10 Home 21H1 OS Build 19043.2251.Under Virus & Threat Protection there is PUA:Win32/Solvusoft. How do I remove this without me personally touching registries? I do not want to manually touch registries. I already deleted the file download that triggered this....
  4. Security Threats Under Virus & threat protection and Protection History

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Virus and threat protection.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Virus and threat protection.: I am unable to access the virus and threat protection in windows security. It says the IT administrator has blocked the virus page. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/virus-and-threat-protection/c5a65ada-4cd2-433a-9b43-ac39b275cc35
  6. Virus & threat protection

Virus & threat protection: I am trying to disable Real-time protection, but I must first turn off Tamper protection. But when I try to do that, it says "This setting is managed by your administrator". I have tried going to Registry editor and changing some things, but it didn't work.I also tried...
  7. Virus and threat protection

Virus and threat protection: hi guys I just temporary disable windows defender in win 11 as I was installing a pirated software and now my windows virus and security application wont work.... As soon as I click on virus and security A popup shows ....... Screenshot below help me make my win defender work...
  8. "Unknown" status under "Virus & Threat protection"

"Unknown" status under "Virus & Threat protection": Hi, I had asked this question more than a year ago, but I received zero feedback, so I want to try again: I am using Win 10 Home ver 20H2 build 19042.867. When I open the Windows Security window, under the "Virus & Threat protection", it reads "Unknown". When I try to...
  9. virus & threat protections

virus & threat protections: what should I do when virus & threat protection is managed by your organisation show to me.[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/virus-threat-protections/9a1b01a3-2888-4b53-9381-8cf72537d8c2
  10. virus and threat protections

virus and threat protections: when I open windows security , virus & threat protection is being managed by your organization, I don't have an organization https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/virus-and-threat-protections/40fdda5a-d544-4303-81d1-0b02ca6a1db5