Windows 10: Unknown USB Device (device descriptor request failed)

Discus and support Unknown USB Device (device descriptor request failed) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Fresh install of Windows 10 and the last driver I need to sort out is the above. I believe it is my powered USB 3 hub to which I plug in my keyboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by swarfega, Jul 28, 2015.

1. swarfega Win User

Unknown USB Device (device descriptor request failed)

Fresh install of Windows 10 and the last driver I need to sort out is the above.

I believe it is my powered USB 3 hub to which I plug in my keyboard and mouse. Technically it is working but I don't like seeing yellow triangles on devices.

So are there any fixes?

:)

swarfega, Jul 28, 2015

2. My Windows isnt detecting any of my USB Hubs

Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) is not working properly

Detected

Windows has detected a problem with Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed).

Device information

Name:
    Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

ID:
    USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\6&161B9FA8&0&4

Error code:

View device details

Completed

View details about Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) and check if there is a solution available.

Nope didnt fix it anyway seems like i need to do something about it i wonder if there was a missing file from the install ?

LiteGaming, Jul 28, 2015
  3. John Sarc Win User
    Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse stopped working

Hi Daniel,

To resolve error Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed), see this

link

Let us know how it goes.

John Sarc, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Nemix Win User

If it's a generic USB 2.0 Powered Hub then technically there's should be no drivers needed by Windows, if it's a USB 3.0 Hub then I'm unsure (since I don't own any USB 3.0 Hubs).

Might be a Windows bug, basically Windows can't find the description information to display the Hub's name in the Device Manager example: Generic USB Hub, Root Hub Device, etc....

I'm pretty sure everything is working as should, you're good minus the minor annoyance if all device connected through the USB Hub is recognized by Windows; if you right click Properties on the yellow triangle it probably says "The Device is working properly".

Nemix, Jul 28, 2015
  5. swarfega Win User
    Its working because I'm able to use the keyboard and mouse. I just like to tie things up nicely *Biggrin

swarfega, Jul 28, 2015
  6. Just installed windows 10 (was running 7 on Lenovo Y580) and keep getting the "device descriptor request failed" for my Seagate Backup Plus USB 3 external desktop drive. It's connected to my computer's USB 3 port. In device manager it shows the yellow triangle, and when I open Properties it says the device is working properly, but it doesn't show in File Explorer, my daily backup to it won't work, and the power light stays off. Tried updating the driver, but it says my driver is up to date (date on driver is 8-17-2015, version 10.0.10240.16461). Interestingly, if I unplug the USB cable I hear the tone telling me I've unplugged, and then when I plug it back in the power light comes on, windows recognizes it, the device manager name changes to "Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller 1.0 (Microsoft)", and all proceeds as normal. This does not happen on a warm boot (restart) or when I wake the computer from sleep. Only when I power it up in the morning. I suppose I could live with unplugging and replugging every morning, but it would nice to have it working correctly. Any ideas?

larryvogel, Sep 3, 2015
  7. Problem solved! Apparently Windows was booting too quickly, and the external devices were not detected before the boot was completed. I posted this same question on another forum, and someone suggested disabling the fast boot option in Power options. I did that, my machine boots a *little* slower (but still faster than in my old win 7), but the external drives are recognized just fine, scheduled backups happen as they should, and all seems fine.

larryvogel, Sep 5, 2015
  8. greybat Win User

On one of my machines - an old Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo motherboard - after upgrading to Windows 10, I could not plug in any USB2 Flash Drives nor Hubs to any USB2 ports. (I have separate PCI card for USB3, and it seems to be working fine). I received Device Descriptior Failed messages for everything, although the Mouse, Keyboard and UPS connections worked - presumably because they are USB 1.1 devices.

After messing around with various possible solutions, including upgrading Intel drivers to the latest versions (9.1.9.1006: 7/31/2013) , I suddenly found that, if I uninstalled the USB2 Host Controller (Intel N10/ICH7 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC) the flash drives were immediately recognized, and mounted and appeared in File Explorer. I have now disabled this controller, and everything works fine, although I am guessing that I get very slow speeds from the flash drives. Fortunately, I don't use them very often on that machine!

greybat, Nov 18, 2015
  9. hacer619 Win User
    I have the same problem with Bluetooth. My fix is to uninstall the USB enhanced host controller or usb root hub, then power off my laptop and then power on.

hacer619, Jun 19, 2016
  10. swarfega Win User
    Hi

This is an old thread which was posted while Windows 10 was in Beta and has long since been fixed.

Thanks for the thought though.

swarfega, Jun 19, 2016
  11. Kendragon Win User
    This issue has not been fixed. Iv'e had it since windows 10.

Kendragon, Aug 20, 2016
  12. mikerhode Win User
    Hi, just wanted to add, that this issue is still not fixed and I am facing this issue in Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit. My external HDD is giving the same error, I was using this hard drive for more than 3 years now...

Thanks

mikerhode, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unknown USB Device (device descriptor request failed) - Similar Threads - Unknown USB Device

2. Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed: Hello, I have a recurring issue regarding an unknown USB device on my laptop computer Lenovo Legion 5i. When this issue occurs, it disables my keyboard and prevents me from using any of the keyboard buttons, forcing the use of an external keyboard. All other functions of the...
  3. Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed): Hi, I bought a Madcatz Rat6 that worked fine for two days. In the midst of a game session, the mouse got disconnected and i recieve the error above in device manager. I'v uninstalled and updated all USB root & Generic Hubs. I have the RAT drivers installed from their website,...
  4. Unknown USB Device(Device descriptor Request Failed)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unknown USB Device(Device descriptor Request Failed): Hello, community. I get this error if my Nec USB 3.0 controller is connected(and there are no devices plugged into it). Chipset is D720200, please anyone help. imgur.com/BsBv0Zl submitted by /u/L1NKKGG [link] [comments]...
  5. Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed: Product: HP Elitebook 8760w Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit Fresh install of Windows 10 Pro partly as an attempt to rule out whatever issues that would rule out. In Device Menu, "Universal Serial Bus controllers", there is "Unknown USB Device Device...
  6. A request for the USB device descriptor failed. Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor...

A request for the USB device descriptor failed. Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor...: A request for the USB device descriptor failed. Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) When I connect my Tascam 202 MKVII cassette player to record through USB port using Windows 10 OS, the USB port shows this message and does not recognize the hardware....
  7. A request for the USB device descriptor failed. Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor...

A request for the USB device descriptor failed. Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor...: When I connect my Tascam 202 MKVII cassette player to record through USB port using Windows 10 OS, the USB port shows this message and does not recognize the hardware. May I please know, How to get rid of this issue? Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)...
  8. Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed): Hello, I have been facing a problem with my USB devices for the past few weeks. Whenever I connect a USB device (mouse, iPhone or even a USB), I get the error Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) Windows has stopped this device because it has reported...
  9. unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed)

unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed): Hi as above currently there is no usb device connected and I'm getting that error message even though when tested both usb ports work. The only thing that doesn't work is the 2 in 1 keyboard buts thats not usb. I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, updating, rolling back...
  10. Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed): Hello, I just finished my exams today and wanted to play again with my Madcatz TES+ Fightstick, the last time i used it, it worked flawless but this time the moment i plugged the usb i got this pop up with the warning . 1. Tried sfc/scannow. 2. Tried USB power systems. 3....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. gigabyte unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed)

2. windows phone device device descriptor faield

3. sculpt ergonomic desktop device descriptor request failed