Windows 10: "Unknown USB Device" error message - how to identify device?

Discus and support "Unknown USB Device" error message - how to identify device? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just got this error message. I haven't added any new USB devices, and I don't think any have gone bad. So, to do trouble-shooting,Is there any way to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by x509, Oct 1, 2017.

1. x509 Win User

"Unknown USB Device" error message - how to identify device?

I just got this error message. I haven't added any new USB devices, and I don't think any have gone bad. So, to do trouble-shooting,Is there any way to enumerate USB logical ports and the devices that are attached? I haven't added any new USB devices, and I don't think any have gone bad. So, to do trouble-shooting,

Any way to link physical USB ports with logical USB ports, for "extra credit." *Smile

:)

x509, Oct 1, 2017
  2. 93tid Win User

How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

My favourite is MP3Tag, google it.

93tid, Oct 1, 2017
  3. pichs Win User
    How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

What are third party tag editors?

pichs, Oct 1, 2017
  4. "Unknown USB Device" error message - how to identify device?

Hi x509.

Not answering your questions but last time I had this I simply unplugged and reinserted each one until I found issue. One of my scanners which was powered on was giving the error. Once I determined I powered off and powered on. Worked fine so not sure why it was reporting Unknown.

Caledon Ken, Oct 1, 2017
  5. spunk Win User
    Press the Win Key+X choose Device Manager. Here, Right click the USB Device with the Yellow Flag, and Uninstall it. Now right click Any device and choose Scan For Hardware Changes, if the yellow flag still comes back, then Right click it again and choose Properties go to the Details Tab, and this should tell you more. If not, under Property, take the Drop down menu and choose Hardware ID copy the first line then paste it into Google to find out what it is.

spunk, Oct 1, 2017
  6. x509 Win User
    Great answer. Thanks. I'll do this tomorrow morning.

x509, Oct 1, 2017
  7. When a device connects to a plug and play bus (like usb) there's a bus h/w handshake between the upstream controller and downstream device. Upon a successful handshake, the device sends Windows its device descriptor. Windows uses the device descriptor to id the device and search for a driver. If the handshake fails or windows can't receive the descriptor for any other reason, windows can't recognize it and it's "Unknown"

Hi @spunk
    Googling the h/w id of an unknown device won't help. The vendor id within a h/w id should be a non-zero value. However, by definition, vendor id in an unknown device = 0000. I believe you'll find the h/w will start USB\VEN_0000 So h/w id won't help for an unknown device
    @x509
    To my knowledge, no way to map usb connector on m/b to a physical usb port on computer. However, you can use USB Tree Viewer to see the hierarchical connection of usb devices which might help you determine the device now appearing as Unknown

Here are some things to try. You can

If you identify the unknown device, and it continues a problem

• Try different usb ports
    • Try different usb cable
    • As @Caledon Ken noted, power off device. Connect it then power up

ComputerGeek, Oct 1, 2017
  8. Steve C Win User

Select the offending device in Device Manager the choose View Devices by Connection. This might give you some clue to which device is causing problems.

Steve C, Oct 1, 2017
  9. spunk Win User
    Unplug each USB device you have separately, one at a time. Scan For Hardware Changes, if the yellow flag goes away when you unplug that device, then that is the now Known device.

spunk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. "Unknown USB Device" error message - how to identify device? - Similar Threads - Unknown USB Device

2. unknown usb device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unknown usb device: unknown usb device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unknown-usb-device/98b3560d-7dd4-4b49-9156-f074adc42492
  3. How to identify bluetooth 'unknown device'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to identify bluetooth 'unknown device': I have a new Windows 11 desktop computer. Everything has been updated -- operating system, drivers, etc.. When I find devices I get quite a few 'unknown devices' and ones that have strange names that aren't identifiable as anything I have, e.g., headset & speaker. This was...
  4. How to identify bluetooth 'unknown device'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to identify bluetooth 'unknown device': I have a new Windows 11 desktop computer. Everything has been updated -- operating system, drivers, etc.. When I find devices I get quite a few 'unknown devices' and ones that have strange names that aren't identifiable as anything I have, e.g., headset & speaker. This was...
  5. Unknown USB Device error constantly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown USB Device error constantly: My USB flash drive started giving me errors today on both my computers and I was able to fix all but one of them. "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. Code 43. The USB set address request failed." I tried updating my BIOS, uninstalling all...
  6. Unknown usb device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unknown usb device: So when i first got my pc everything was fine then suddenly my keyboard and mouse wouldnt work in any of the usb ports except 1. I did every fix possible expect updating my bios. So my question is i were to update it from the default bios my board came withasrock b450 pro4 to...
  7. Unknown USB Device

Unknown USB Device: I got a new Windows 10 update, after installing it I noticed that my microphone doesn't get detected. I uninstalled the update and went back to the version where my microphone still worked. I've tried uninstalling the drivers for it but it still doesn't work. Everything I've...
  8. Fix Unknown USB Device error message on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Unknown USB Device error message on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]We all use a number of USB Devices every day. From plugging in our phones for charging to using our Pen Drives, we are making the use of USB Drives. But sometimes, a Windows computer throws an error of Unknown USB [...] This post Fix Unknown USB Device error...
  9. Unknown device identifier finds uninstalled device

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Unknown device identifier finds uninstalled device: Unknown Device Identifier v9.01 finds a GTX560 that I just replaced with a GTX1060 in my system. How do I find & delete what it is keying on? 116456
  10. identify unknown device

identify unknown device: hi, I performed a fresh install of w10 on my sisters HP DV6 laptop, everything works but device manager shows 1 unknown device, is there anyway to find out what it is, I've installed all the drivers from the manufacturer 66351