Windows 10: "Unknown USB device needs more power than the Port can Supply"

Discus and support "Unknown USB device needs more power than the Port can Supply" in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This notification keeps showing up after I plug my mouse into the usb port of my surface pro 2017 but only when I plug my mouse in it. I can still use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/dgknx, Apr 12, 2020.

1. /u/dgknx Win User

"Unknown USB device needs more power than the Port can Supply"

This notification keeps showing up after I plug my mouse into the usb port of my surface pro 2017 but only when I plug my mouse in it. I can still use my external ssd or connect my phone without a problem on the same usb 3.0 port.

What I don't get though, the mouse worked perfectly fine on my laptop until two days ago. I once got it to work again for like 30 minutes after deinstalling all usb drivers but then it started again.

I tried the mouse on other laptops and it works just fine. If I connect the mouse to an usb hub and then plug it in, it works too.

I also get the message "the USB Controller is in a failed state" when I try to do the windows usb diagnosis. I just hope my usb port still works and that it's more of a software problem.

Would really appreciate any help

submitted by /u/dgknx
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/dgknx, Apr 12, 2020
  2. SerionPK Win User

Power Surge on the USB port - "Unknown USB Device needs more power than the port can supply"

I need help, every-time i connect my headphones it says (Power Surge on the USB port - "Unknown USB Device needs more power than the port can supply".) I really have no idea why my PC is acting like this. It was working fine for the past 2-3 months, i
    haven't messed with the PC settings so i really dont know why this happend. However my mouse and keyboard work fine. Its just the headphones.I dont think its the headphones problem as it was working fine and it looks in great condition. Please do reply as
    soon as possible if you do have the fix. Thank you.

SerionPK, Apr 12, 2020
  3. jjtyler Win User
    USB port not working

I have an HP Pavilion dv6604nr laptop. I have 3 USB ports, 2 located on the left side and one located on the right side near the power supply port. For some reason, one of the USB ports on the left hand side will not recognize anything that is plugged
    into it. I have done all the steps and suggestions that is posted on this site, and still can't get it to work. The message I get is "The last USB device that was connected has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it." It shows in the Device Manager
    as Unknown USB Device(Port Reset Failed). When I have a USB device plugged into the non-working port, it shows up in the Devices and Printers folder, but the device does not work. I am at my wits end. Can anyone help me or suggest any other things to try?
    Oh, I am running Windows 10 pro.

jjtyler, Apr 12, 2020
  4. Scramjet Win User

Power surge on the USB port

Hi All,
    I just upgraded my computer case to a full tower. The Phanteks Enthoo Pro Series PH-ES614P_BK.
    Since I did that when I cold boot my computer I get the error pop on the screen: " Power surge on the USB port Unknown USB Device needs more power than the port can supply". There is no indication in the Device Manager that there is a problem and the 2x USB 3.0 and 2x USB 2.0 drive slots on front panel are working perfect.

I have tried several Google fixes but still happening *Sad I am still searching.
    The only thing that is different from my older tower is the USB 3.0 cable which I plugged into a USB connector on the motherboard Asus Z270 TUF Mark 1.
    Attaching a pic of error on screen.

"Unknown USB device needs more power than the Port can Supply" [​IMG]

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Scramjet, Apr 12, 2020
Thema:

1. "Unknown USB device needs more power than the Port can Supply" - Similar Threads - Unknown USB device

2. CD Burner causing error "Unknown USB Device needs more power than the port can supply."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CD Burner causing error "Unknown USB Device needs more power than the port can supply.": I have a Lenovo laptop running Windows 11 Build 22631. I rip thousands of CDs into my collection. I have always used Pacific Digital burners, but they have started to not work very well with Win11. I found a new Yamaha CRW 2200ix Firewire burner and decided to give it a try....
  3. CD Burner causing error "Unknown USB Device needs more power than the port can supply."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CD Burner causing error "Unknown USB Device needs more power than the port can supply.": I have a Lenovo laptop running Windows 11 Build 22631. I rip thousands of CDs into my collection. I have always used Pacific Digital burners, but they have started to not work very well with Win11. I found a new Yamaha CRW 2200ix Firewire burner and decided to give it a try....
  4. How to NOT make a USB port supply power during startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to NOT make a USB port supply power during startup?: Hello Everyone,Please how do I ensure that, at startup, the USB ports either individual or all of them do not supply power until startup is complete?...
  5. How to NOT make a USB port supply power during startup?

How to NOT make a USB port supply power during startup?: Hello Everyone,Please how do I ensure that, at startup, the USB ports either individual or all of them do not supply power until startup is complete?...
  6. How to NOT make a USB port supply power during startup?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. all my usb ports say unknow usb device needs more power than port can supply yes iv tried...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    all my usb ports say unknow usb device needs more power than port can supply yes iv tried...: all my usb ports say unknow usb device needs more power than port can supply yes iv tried diffrent cords and devices dose not mater what it is all same thing...
  8. all my usb ports say unknow usb device needs more power than port can supply yes iv tried...

all my usb ports say unknow usb device needs more power than port can supply yes iv tried...: all my usb ports say unknow usb device needs more power than port can supply yes iv tried diffrent cords and devices dose not mater what it is all same thing...
  9. Unknown USB Device in Empty Port

Unknown USB Device in Empty Port: Following a clean install of Windows Version 20H2 (Build 19042.867), I received an error message that Windows did not recognize the last USB device connected. Within Device Manager, the device status was reported as: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported...
  10. Error "Power Surge on USB Port" unknown device

Error "Power Surge on USB Port" unknown device: Hello! I have been getting this problem since the last update. All I have connected to the usb ports are keyboard, printer and WD mybook. The printer an Epson Stylus Photo PX700w, the WD Mybook 500gb, both have their own power supplies. I have recently upgraded my...