Windows 10: Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed)

Discus and support Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows version 21H1 19043-985 Windows 10 Pro 64bit I am running a WD RED 10GB RAID 1 mirror on an unmanaged external enclosure. Enclosure specs are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JDubbedN, Jun 10, 2021.

1. JDubbedN Win User

Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed)

Windows version 21H1 19043-985 Windows 10 Pro 64bit I am running a WD RED 10GB RAID 1 mirror on an unmanaged external enclosure. Enclosure specs are here HUR5-SU31C , 2 Bay USB 3.1 Type-C Specs - Mediasonic Forum I've had this enclosure connected to a Windows 10 machines for several months now with no hiccups. It acts as my Plex library. A couple days ago after I performed a Windows update, the drive started to disconnect when attempting to write data to it. I checked out device manager and it showed Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed). I can toggle the power on the enclosure but as soon as I try to write something to it or even delete something explorer freezes and disconnects the enclosure. So I moved it over to another machine, running same windows version and it works fine. I can write and delete to it and no problems, no freezes, no disconnects. While the drive is in the Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed) state, I uninstall the driver, rescanned hardware and it pops up again as Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed). The only way I can get it to recognize it to power cycle the enclosure but the problem occurs again. If I reboot the computer sometimes the drive will be recognized and sometimes it won't. Since the enclosure works in another computer I assume there is something wrong with the specific machine. I have 2 other external drives connected to it, an external WD 12GB and a smaller 4GB 3rd party external enclosure, all working fine. I've tried switching usb ports but same result. I don't believe the cable is bad because it works fine on another machine with the same usb cable. Any suggestions? - - - Updated - - - I am going to try this and will report back if it does not fix it. USB drive or flash problems? How to cleanup and remove old USB storage drivers | TechSpot Forums

:)

JDubbedN, Jun 10, 2021
  2. JDubbedN Win User

Windows version 21H1 19043-985 Windows 10 Pro 64bit

I am running a WD RED 10GB RAID 1 mirror on an unmanaged external enclosure. Enclosure specs are here HUR5-SU31C , 2 Bay USB 3.1 Type-C Specs - Mediasonic Forum

I've had this enclosure connected to a Windows 10 machines for several months now with no hiccups. It acts as my Plex library. A couple days ago after I performed a Windows update, the drive started to disconnect when attempting to write data to it. I checked out device manager and it showed Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed). I can toggle the power on the enclosure but as soon as I try to write something to it or even delete something explorer freezes and disconnects the enclosure. So I moved it over to another machine, running same windows version and it works fine. I can write and delete to it and no problems, no freezes, no disconnects.

While the drive is in the Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed) state, I uninstall the driver, rescanned hardware and it pops up again as Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed). The only way I can get it to recognize it to power cycle the enclosure but the problem occurs again. If I reboot the computer sometimes the drive will be recognized and sometimes it won't.

Since the enclosure works in another computer I assume there is something wrong with the specific machine. I have 2 other external drives connected to it, an external WD 12GB and a smaller 4GB 3rd party external enclosure, all working fine. I've tried switching usb ports but same result. I don't believe the cable is bad because it works fine on another machine with the same usb cable.

Any suggestions?

Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed) [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to try this and will report back if it does not fix it.

USB drive or flash problems? How to cleanup and remove old USB storage drivers | TechSpot Forums

JDubbedN, Jun 10, 2021
  3. EdTittel Win User
    a request for device descriptor request failed

Maybe it's time to step back from the current efforts, and start over. I suggest you read over this excellent tutorial and try all of its steps: [Solved] Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) for Windows 10 - Driver Easy. The one that may provide you with some easy relief is the one where you uninstall the device whose descriptor is failing, reboot, and see what happens when device enumeration recurs during boot-up. If you're lucky, it will fix itself.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jun 10, 2021
  4. Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed)

Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

Hello Usman,

I'm Independent Advisor and Microsoft MVP, here to help you with your question.

See if this step-by-step fix helps you:

https://www.kapilarya.com/unknown-usb-device-de...

Let us know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Kapil Arya [Directly], Jun 10, 2021
Thema:

1. Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed) - Similar Threads - Unknown USB Device

2. Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed)

in Windows 10 Support
    Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed): Windows version 21H1 19043-985 Windows 10 Pro 64bit I am running a WD RED 10GB RAID 1 mirror on an unmanaged external enclosure. Enclosure specs are here HUR5-SU31C , 2 Bay USB 3.1 Type-C Specs - Mediasonic Forum I've had this enclosure connected to a Windows 10 machines for...
  3. unknown USB Device Device Descriptor fail

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    unknown USB Device Device Descriptor fail: hello i am having an issue with my pc not recognizing keyboards i have tried different usb ports and different keyboards even tried reinstalling the keyboard drivers via device manager i have tried lots of different troubleshooting techniques and my pc doesn't recognize an...
  4. what causes Unknown USB Device Set Address Failed and how to fix it.

what causes Unknown USB Device Set Address Failed and how to fix it.: [ATTACH] Issue: USB stick works intermittently on HP ProDesk 600 G5 Win 10 ver 20H2, but works fine on other PCs. steps tried: Tried all USB ports available on the computer. Also tried USB 3.0 port Removed all USB components within device manager restarted Windows, no...
  5. Unknown USB Device Set Address Failed error code 43

Unknown USB Device Set Address Failed error code 43: When i connect my headphones to my pc windows detects it as a unknown usb device although sound still comes through. I probably know what caused the driver issue. It probably was phone driver because i had downloaded it one night and the next morning the issue appeared....
  6. Unknown USB Device(Device descriptor Request Failed)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unknown USB Device(Device descriptor Request Failed): Hello, community. I get this error if my Nec USB 3.0 controller is connected(and there are no devices plugged into it). Chipset is D720200, please anyone help. imgur.com/BsBv0Zl submitted by /u/L1NKKGG [link] [comments]...
  7. Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed

Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed: Product: HP Elitebook 8760w Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit Fresh install of Windows 10 Pro partly as an attempt to rule out whatever issues that would rule out. In Device Menu, "Universal Serial Bus controllers", there is "Unknown USB Device Device...
  8. Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed) when attaching hard drive

Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed) when attaching hard drive: I am attempting to attached a hard drive to my Windows 10 Dell Latitude E5470 laptop using a USB cable. When I plug it in I am seeing a "USB Attached SCSI (UAS) Mass Storage Device" followed by a "Unknown USB Device (Set Address Failed)" error. I've tried - Rebooting...
  9. unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed)

unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed): Hi as above currently there is no usb device connected and I'm getting that error message even though when tested both usb ports work. The only thing that doesn't work is the 2 in 1 keyboard buts thats not usb. I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, updating, rolling back...
  10. Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed): Hello, I just finished my exams today and wanted to play again with my Madcatz TES+ Fightstick, the last time i used it, it worked flawless but this time the moment i plugged the usb i got this pop up with the warning . 1. Tried sfc/scannow. 2. Tried USB power systems. 3....