Windows 10: Unknown user added to sign in screen

Discus and support Unknown user added to sign in screen in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Yesterday, upon re-starting my computer after a windows software update, I noticed that there was a new user on my sign in screen. I clicked on it and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by CamZoom, Apr 17, 2020.

1. CamZoom Win User

Unknown user added to sign in screen

Yesterday, upon re-starting my computer after a windows software update, I noticed that there was a new user on my sign in screen. I clicked on it and it "set up" account, prior to me logging out and signing in to my own admin account. I tried deleting the new user through settings but it was back upon next sign in. Tried again and same thing. Ideas?

:)

CamZoom, Apr 17, 2020
  2. Explorer9 Win User

force default user account to always be selected on sign-in screen

A PC has Windows 10 (version 1703, build 15063.726) installed on it. A person named Robert has a user account on it, named Robert. A person named Jennifer has a user account on it, named Jennifer. The user accounts Robert and Jennifer are "Standard" type accounts. There is a third user account, named Adm, and it's type is "Administrator".

The PC specs are: laptop, brand Asus, model X550CA, cpu Intel Celeron 1007U 1.50GHz, 8 GB RAM DDR3, 500 GB HDD 5200 RPM, 120 GB SSD.

Windows 10 default behavior, case 1 - the Robert and Jennifer user accounts are both password protected

1. Jennifer turns PC on.
    2. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Robert is shown.
    3. At the sign-in screen, Jennifer clicks on the account Jennifer in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types her password and presses Enter.
    4. Jennifer clicks on the "Start" button on the taskbar, clicks on the "Power" button, then clicks "Shut down".
    5. Robert turns PC on.
    6. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Jennifer is shown.
    7. Robert clicks on the account Robert in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types his password and presses Enter.

Windows 10 default behavior, case 2 - the Robert user account is password protected, the Jennifer user account is not password protected

1. Jennifer turns PC on.
    2. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Robert is shown.
    3. At the sign-in screen, Jennifer clicks on the account Jennifer in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then clicks on the "Sign-in" button.
    4. Jennifer clicks on the "Start" button on the taskbar, clicks on the "Power" button, then clicks on "Shut down".
    5. Robert turns PC on.
    6. Windows 10 signs in automatically into the Jennifer user account.
    7. Robert clicks on the "Start" button, clicks on the "Jennifer" button, then clicks on "Sign out".
    8. At the sign-in screen, the button "Sign in" for the user account Jennifer is shown.
    9. Robert clicks on the account Robert in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types his password and presses Enter.

Question 1

Is it possible for Robert to change Windows 10's default behavior, to the behavior described below?

1. Robert or Jennifer turns on the PC.
    2. At the sign-in screen, the password field for the Robert user account is shown, even if Jennifer was the last person to sign-in and then click on "Shut down" from the "Start" menu.

Question 2

If the answer to question 1 is yes, then what settings does Robert have to make, in order to get the behavior described at question 1?

Changing "dontdisplaylastusername" is not the solution

By changing the "dontdisplaylastusername" registry DWORD from 0 to 1, Robert doesn't get the behavior described at question 1. After setting "dontdisplaylastusername" to 1, Robert has to type both his user account name, and his password, at the sign-in screen. Robert wants to type only his password, at the sign-in screen, and nothing else.

Why does Robert want to change the default behavior

The reasons Robert would like to change to the behavior described at question 1:
    • he is the owner of the PC;
    • he uses his PC frequently, Jennifer uses his PC rarely, therefore it makes sense that Robert should have one less click to do in order to sign in;
    • he doesn't want to click on something in order to get at his password field, he wants to press the power button on the PC and then type his password (doesn't want unnecessary intermediate steps between pressing the power button and typing his password).

Explorer9, May 23, 2020
  3. Steve_809 Win User
    Unknown User Account created after upgrading to windows 10. It comes back if I delete it.

Original Title: Unknown User Account

Hello,

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 I am seeing an account that I did NOT create. So I deleted it by going into Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > User Accounts > Manage Accounts then I click on the unknown user account and delete it. That said.... It
    comes back. I have also followed the below suggestions from other posts and still does not seem to work.

Let’s try simple steps and check if the user account is detecting and try removing it.

• Press Windows key + R, type netplwiz and press Enter.

• Check if the user account is appearing on the list.

• Click on user account and click on Remove. (If user account appear on the list).
    Please advise.

Thank you

Steve_809, May 23, 2020
  4. Unknown user added to sign in screen

How to sign in to Windows 10 as different User

Hi,

There are several ways that you can do to switch between your 2 accounts, such as going through
    Start menu, through Ctrl +
    Alt
    + Delete screen, through Sign-in
    screen or through Task Manager. For us to isolate the issue, we would like to ask the following questions:

• Are you connected to a domain or managed by Windows Server?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your system settings prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow these steps to switch user account:

• Click/tap on your desktop to make it the current focused (active) window, and press
      Alt + F4 keys to open Shut Down Windows window.
    • Click on the drop down menu and select Switch user.
    • You will now be taken to the lock screen to unlock.
    • It will show you the sign-in screen to select and sign in to the account you want to switch to.

We will wait for your response.

Janeane Cru, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Unknown user added to sign in screen

1. Unknown user added to sign in screen - Similar Threads - Unknown user added

2. Unknown user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown user: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-unknown-user-account-on-security-tab/3c4a47ee-586e-4065-9367-a715f696d1fbIf this desktop.ini entry is a legitimate file, why not give it a user name in the security tab that would not make us think it's some...
  3. Unknown user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown user: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-unknown-user-account-on-security-tab/3c4a47ee-586e-4065-9367-a715f696d1fbIf this desktop.ini entry is a legitimate file, why not give it a user name in the security tab that would not make us think it's some...
  4. Unknown user

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unknown user: Hello! Today I checked the security of an application in the properties menu and noticed a strange one namely two unknown accounts that do not have permission and I want to ask if this is okay? I also looked at someone else's machine but there was only one and with...
  5. Unknown user

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unknown user: I was curious about the version of my windows so I checked and I found a user that I haven't heard of under the "this product is listed under microsoft software license terms " is this normal or is my system compromised I did not create this user. [ATTACH]...
  6. Unknown user on login screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unknown user on login screen: I've just installed Windows 10 pro on a self build computer. My login screen shows 4 users which I will call Bill, Ben, Little Weed and Richard. Local users in computer management shows the following accounts; Bill, Ben, Little Weed, Administrator, default account, guest and...
  7. Unknown user

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unknown user: I want to share a folder to other LAN-computers. Have Windows10 Home with all updates. When checking the users for that shared folder I discovered an unknown user ... how do I remove this guy? 147606
  8. Unknown User

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unknown User: Is WDAGUtilityAccount a user that Microsoft uses? If so how do they use it? 99404
  9. unknown user

unknown user: My daughter just tried to turn on her computer, she got a strange user name asking for password. The user name is jamey jamme ,, whats going on . if a password is enterd it says to go to account.live.com. but cant pas log in screen.. abd cant do it anyway because we dont have...
  10. Unknown User

Unknown User: Hi, I having errors in Event Viewer related to DCOM regarding permissions. I have been trying to find those APPID in Regestry and changing Ownership, and giving "Full Rights" to Administrator. On that Permissions Screen there is a Unknown User {1-xxxxx}. I think this...