Windows 10: Unknown User as Owner

Discus and support Unknown User as Owner in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi guys, I have a peculiar issue with an unknown Owner of a folder. To be more precise, its on my external Drive, in a folder called My Backups. I use... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by witten1972, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Unknown User as Owner

Hi guys, I have a peculiar issue with an unknown Owner of a folder.
    To be more precise, its on my external Drive, in a folder called My Backups.
    I use Acronis on a disk to perform backups. Acronis is not installed.
    Path: ‪L:\My backups\Windows 10 Pro (C)
    Owner: S-1-5-21-4052398736-303783888-1690356549-1002

Unknown User as Owner [​IMG]

I entered "net users" in cmd.exe & the above account is not listed there.
    I have a built-in Administrator-, Guest-, Default-, WDAGUtility- and my current account.

The above Owner number does not appear in Regedit either.

Nor does it appear in Computer Management --> Local User Groups...

So who could this be, and is it safe to set it as a member of Administrators?

Ok, slight change of plans. I was going to post the above when I did a closer inspection of other folders & files in L:\My backups. ‪L:\My backups\Recovery Partition has yet another unfamiliar Owner!

Owners of the 5 backup folders:
    ‪L:\My backups\Data HP (E): Administrators (HP-PAVILION\Administrators)
    ‪L:\My backups\FACTORY_IMAGE (D): Administrators (HP-PAVILION\Administrators)
    ‪L:\My backups\Recovery Partition: S-1-5-21-2524673758-597247510-780583039-1001
    ‪L:\My backups\Windows 7 Pro: S-1-5-21-4052398736-303783888-1690356549-1002
    L:\My backups\Windows 10 Pro (C): S-1-5-21-4052398736-303783888-1690356549-1002

So I have to ask again, who could this be, and is it safe to set them all as a member of Administrators?

:)

witten1972, Sep 5, 2019
  2. Steve_809 Win User

Unknown User Account created after upgrading to windows 10. It comes back if I delete it.

Original Title: Unknown User Account

Hello,

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 I am seeing an account that I did NOT create. So I deleted it by going into Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > User Accounts > Manage Accounts then I click on the unknown user account and delete it. That said.... It
    comes back. I have also followed the below suggestions from other posts and still does not seem to work.

Let’s try simple steps and check if the user account is detecting and try removing it.

• Press Windows key + R, type netplwiz and press Enter.

• Check if the user account is appearing on the list.

• Click on user account and click on Remove. (If user account appear on the list).
    Please advise.

Thank you

Steve_809, Sep 5, 2019
  3. UNKNOWN USER PROBLEM

I wrote about this problem long ago, but it became locked up.

This UNKNOWN user typically comes from an external drive. The computer doesn't recognize the user, therefore UNKNOWN USER.

Click any folder

Click Security

Click Advanced

Click Change

Type Everyone

Click OK

Click Replace owner on sub-containers and objects. Makes everything the same by permissions.

Click Apply

Click OK (notification pops up)

Click OK to exit

Click edit

Click the UNKNOWN USER

Deny ALL

Click Remove

Click Apply

Click OK to exit

NO MORE UNKNOWN USER EVER AGAIN ON EXTERNAL DRIVES

MAVERICK HAWK 5, Sep 5, 2019
  4. Kreij Win User

Unknown User as Owner

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Sep 5, 2019
Thema:

Unknown User as Owner

1. Unknown User as Owner - Similar Threads - Unknown User Owner

2. Unknown user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown user: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-unknown-user-account-on-security-tab/3c4a47ee-586e-4065-9367-a715f696d1fbIf this desktop.ini entry is a legitimate file, why not give it a user name in the security tab that would not make us think it's some...
  3. Unknown user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown user: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-unknown-user-account-on-security-tab/3c4a47ee-586e-4065-9367-a715f696d1fbIf this desktop.ini entry is a legitimate file, why not give it a user name in the security tab that would not make us think it's some...
  4. owner user / temp user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    owner user / temp user: One day my PC decided to open in the temp user mode. Nothing else changed and I can still find all my photos, documents, and downloads, but, I have to click on them manually. The PC is for some reason opening to temp user. It is still functioning but without any of my stored...
  5. owner user / temp user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    owner user / temp user: One day my PC decided to open in the temp user mode. Nothing else changed and I can still find all my photos, documents, and downloads, but, I have to click on them manually. The PC is for some reason opening to temp user. It is still functioning but without any of my stored...
  6. owner user / temp user

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Unknown user

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unknown user: Hello! Today I checked the security of an application in the properties menu and noticed a strange one namely two unknown accounts that do not have permission and I want to ask if this is okay? I also looked at someone else's machine but there was only one and with...
  8. Unknown user

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unknown user: I was curious about the version of my windows so I checked and I found a user that I haven't heard of under the "this product is listed under microsoft software license terms " is this normal or is my system compromised I did not create this user. [ATTACH]...
  9. Unknown user

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unknown user: I want to share a folder to other LAN-computers. Have Windows10 Home with all updates. When checking the users for that shared folder I discovered an unknown user ... how do I remove this guy? 147606
  10. Unknown User

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unknown User: Is WDAGUtilityAccount a user that Microsoft uses? If so how do they use it? 99404