Windows 10: Unknown user ? in Windows root

Discus and support Unknown user ? in Windows root in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I have had a problem with a nasty virus on my computer a month ago and had it fixed by re-installing Windows 10 and resetting my computer... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Jadee Blue, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Unknown user ? in Windows root

Hello,

I have had a problem with a nasty virus on my computer a month ago and had it fixed by re-installing Windows 10 and resetting my computer completely.

Now I seem to be having some of the same problems before I got completely shut out of my computer and I noticed that there is an unknown user ? computer program ? that seems to be taking permission from my files;

I will insert a screenshot. Please also note that I have McAfee anti-virus software I really wish HP hadn't put it on my computer and that I have run several scans that tell me I am virus free. Can someone please help me? Unknown user ? in Windows root f812f538-ec54-4a6f-9a7e-c5e0f4fa6e18?upload=true.jpg

:)

Jadee Blue, Aug 11, 2020
  2. Steve_809 Win User

Unknown User Account created after upgrading to windows 10. It comes back if I delete it.

Original Title: Unknown User Account

Hello,

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 I am seeing an account that I did NOT create. So I deleted it by going into Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > User Accounts > Manage Accounts then I click on the unknown user account and delete it. That said.... It
    comes back. I have also followed the below suggestions from other posts and still does not seem to work.

Let’s try simple steps and check if the user account is detecting and try removing it.

• Press Windows key + R, type netplwiz and press Enter.

• Check if the user account is appearing on the list.

• Click on user account and click on Remove. (If user account appear on the list).
    Please advise.

Thank you

Steve_809, Aug 11, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Unknown user

<Okänd kontakt> is just Swedish for <Unknown contact>

When an unknown account is listed in permissions it's usually due to the file or folder having had permissions for a user account on this PC that has since been deleted. Or, if the drive is an external drive that is used by several machines, an account that exists on another PC.

Either way, as the unknown user doesn't exist on this PC then having it listed in permissions doesn't grant access to any account that actually exists.

4. Kreij Win User

Unknown user ? in Windows root

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Aug 11, 2020
Thema:

Unknown user ? in Windows root

1. Unknown user ? in Windows root - Similar Threads - Unknown user root

2. Unknown user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown user: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-unknown-user-account-on-security-tab/3c4a47ee-586e-4065-9367-a715f696d1fbIf this desktop.ini entry is a legitimate file, why not give it a user name in the security tab that would not make us think it's some...
  3. Deleted unknown user hkey classes root, windows broke

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted unknown user hkey classes root, windows broke: Hi! So i did something stupid. At the permissions of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, I deleted the unknown user s-1-15-.....I later realized I shouldn't have done that. My windows broke, i cant access folders and files, cant get to start, to recovery or start or anything else. I wanted to...
  4. Deleted unknown user hkey classes root, windows broke

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted unknown user hkey classes root, windows broke: Hi! So i did something stupid. At the permissions of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, I deleted the unknown user s-1-15-.....I later realized I shouldn't have done that. My windows broke, i cant access folders and files, cant get to start, to recovery or start or anything else. I wanted to...
  5. Deleted unknown user hkey classes root, windows broke

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Unknown user

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unknown user: Hello! Today I checked the security of an application in the properties menu and noticed a strange one namely two unknown accounts that do not have permission and I want to ask if this is okay? I also looked at someone else's machine but there was only one and with...
  7. Unknown user

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unknown user: I was curious about the version of my windows so I checked and I found a user that I haven't heard of under the "this product is listed under microsoft software license terms " is this normal or is my system compromised I did not create this user. [ATTACH]...
  8. Unknown user

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unknown user: I want to share a folder to other LAN-computers. Have Windows10 Home with all updates. When checking the users for that shared folder I discovered an unknown user ... how do I remove this guy? 147606
  9. Unknown User

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unknown User: Is WDAGUtilityAccount a user that Microsoft uses? If so how do they use it? 99404
  10. Various BSODs, unknown root cause

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Various BSODs, unknown root cause: I have been getting various BSODs on my new build, running the latest drivers and BIOS from the manufacturer of my mobo, Gigabyte. I have RMA'd the mobo once, and it was returned with no repairs. I have reinstalled windows, verified that the drive works with HDtune and sfc. I...