Windows 10: Unlocked Bitlocker but drive is still Write Protected - Urgent Help Required

Discus and support Unlocked Bitlocker but drive is still Write Protected - Urgent Help Required in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have a Customer with Windows 10 I believe 1909 computer that has been bitlockered. Unfortunately due to updates I think my customer is no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Brent Stobbs, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Unlocked Bitlocker but drive is still Write Protected - Urgent Help Required

Hello,

I have a Customer with Windows 10 I believe 1909 computer that has been bitlockered. Unfortunately due to updates I think my customer is no longer able to log in to the computer, after entering their password, it just sits there logging them in, so I need to do some troubleshooting.

Unfortunately the customer is on the other side of the world to me, so it is a bit time consuming, however I was able to talk them through booting to Windows PE and unlocking the Hard Drive with the AD stored Bitlocker Password. We are now able to see all the files on the hard drive.

At this stage I should be able to manipulate files on the hard drive to do some trouble shooting, any commands we run on the computer to change anything on the hard drive is met with "The Media is Write Protected"

We have tried:

* Disabling the protectors on the disk: manage-bde -protectors -disable c:

* Deleting the protectors: manage-bde -protectors delete c:

* Turning off Bitlocker: mangae-bde -off c:

* Changing the ReadOnly attribute in Diskpart

I am assuming this has something to do with a policy being set that disables writing to a disk that is not protected, but I cannot get to the registry of the computer to change that.

Please throw as many suggestions as you feel like at me. What can I try next?

:)

Brent Stobbs, Jul 13, 2020
  2. Ratandeep Win User

Unlock BitLocker protected drive, forgot password

Hello Clifford,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft community.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue.

You can use "BitLocker Drive Encryption" to help protect your operating system drive (the drive where Windows is installed), a fixed data drive (such as an internal hard drive), or a removable data drive (such as a USB flash drive).

I would suggest you to refer the following articles and check if it helps.

Refer:

Unlock a BitLocker-protected drive

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/unlock-bitlocker-protected-drive

BitLocker recovery keys: Frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/bitlocker-recovery-keys-faq

(Also holds good for Windows 10)

Note: Please do not perform reset or factory reset at present.

I hope this information helps.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you

Ratandeep, Jul 13, 2020
  3. Bitlocker making removable media Write Protected

I work for a company who handles secure data. We use bitlocker to encrypt the drives on all company machines, as well as all removable storage devices (USB Flash drives, External Hard Drives, ETC.). This works seamlessly for all built in storage, but for
    removable media, it is forcing write protection on the drives after encryption, even after the drive is unlocked using the Bitlocker passcode. We still want to maintain the enforcement of encrypting anything that may contain private company data, including
    all removable storage devices, but want to still be able to write to them after they are encrypted. Is this normal? Is there any way to have all removable storage devices encrypted but disable write protection once they are unlocked?

Thanks!

DanielBrent2113, Jul 13, 2020
  4. Unlocked Bitlocker but drive is still Write Protected - Urgent Help Required

BitLocker key cannot unlock the disk. Neither can i reinstall cause the drive is blocked

Hi Havard,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Did you try to unlock the drive using the Bitlocker application in Windows 10?
    • If yes, did you get any error message while trying that?

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if that helps:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to try unlocking the drive using the Bitlocker facility available in Windows 10 and check if you are able to unlock it successfully. If you are getting any error message with says “Application not found”, then I would suggest you
    to refer the article provided in the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/unlock-bitlocker-protected-drive

Method 2:

I would suggest that you try the steps mentioned in the link below and check if it helps resolve your issue.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For
    added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following link to view the article “How to back up and restore
    the registry in Windows” from the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/322756

(Applies to Windows 10)

For more information regarding BitLocker, you may refer the article "BitLocker Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)" from this link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831507.aspx

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jul 13, 2020
Thema:

Unlocked Bitlocker but drive is still Write Protected - Urgent Help Required

1. Unlocked Bitlocker but drive is still Write Protected - Urgent Help Required - Similar Threads - Unlocked Bitlocker drive

2. URGENT HELP REQUIRED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    URGENT HELP REQUIRED: ASUS XM407MA screen at boot-up. How can I remedy this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/urgent-help-required/247576f8-41c4-4167-b52c-af1ad0de713a
  3. URGENT HELP REQUIRED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    URGENT HELP REQUIRED: ASUS XM407MA screen at boot-up. How can I remedy this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/urgent-help-required/247576f8-41c4-4167-b52c-af1ad0de713a
  4. URGENT HELP REQUIRED

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. The drive protected by Bitlocker is already unlocked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The drive protected by Bitlocker is already unlocked: Hi,I get the "The drive protected by Bitlocker is already unlocked" message trying to open a drive that looks locked but its not.If I right click the drive and select "Open in new window" the drive opens in a new window.So it is unlocked, but File Explorer think it is...
  6. The drive protected by Bitlocker is already unlocked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The drive protected by Bitlocker is already unlocked: Hi,I get the "The drive protected by Bitlocker is already unlocked" message trying to open a drive that looks locked but its not.If I right click the drive and select "Open in new window" the drive opens in a new window.So it is unlocked, but File Explorer think it is...
  7. Does reinstalling windows unlock the bitlocker protected drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does reinstalling windows unlock the bitlocker protected drive?: I have Windows 10 installed in my laptop.My D drive is Bitlocker protected.If I reinstall Windows 10, would the Bitlocker protected drive will be unprotected or unlocked?...
  8. Does reinstalling windows unlock the bitlocker protected drive?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Does reinstalling windows unlock the bitlocker protected drive?: I have Windows 10 installed in my laptop.My D drive is Bitlocker protected.If I reinstall Windows 10, would the Bitlocker protected drive will be unprotected or unlocked?...
  9. urgent help required

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    urgent help required: I was working on a file in my download folder abd suddenly all the files and documents have vanished and I didnt delete them . I have no backup and there were many important files . Please help .I was working on a file in my download folder abd suddenly all the files and...
  10. Deny Write Access to Removable Drives not Protected by BitLocker

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Deny Write Access to Removable Drives not Protected by BitLocker: How to: Deny Write Access to Removable Drives not Protected by BitLocker Allow or Deny Write Access to Removable Drives not Protected by BitLocker in Windows You can use BitLocker Drive Encryption to help protect your files on an entire drive. BitLocker can help block...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to remove write protection from a flash from a computerwhich had not created it

2. butlocker encrypted drive unlocked but write protected