Windows 10: Unlocking locked files help

Discus and support Unlocking locked files help in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Opened folder and was presented with multiple documents that had a "locked padlock" covering part of the file icon. Also the following message when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by The Cosmo, Sep 7, 2017.

1. The Cosmo Win User

Unlocking locked files help

Opened folder and was presented with multiple documents that had a "locked padlock" covering part of the file icon. Also the following message when I attempted to open the file:
    "You need permission to perform this action."
    "You require permission from "everyone" to make changes to this file."
    I am the administrator and have no user named "everyone".
    I do not have the password.
    How do I unlock these files?
    Thanks, Cosmo

:)

The Cosmo, Sep 7, 2017

2. MY N96 VIDEO & AUDIO FILES LOCKED.

hi, my preloaded n96 video and audio files are locked after i press the reset option. how to unlock the files. please help.

anilkumartvm, Sep 7, 2017
  3. Windows 10 automatically locks the unlocked BitLocker encrypted USB drive

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, it didn't fix my issue. First of all, there is no "turn off auto bit lock", but there is "turn off auto-unlock" or "turn on auto-unlock", and my settings show "auto-unlock" is turned off. Secondly, I don't want my
    USB drive to "auto-unlock", but I do want it to stay "unlocked" after I manually unlock it. However, the problem I am having now is that when I unlock the USB drive and open a file, then after being idle for a while, Windows will automatically lock the drive,
    so I cannot save the changes I have made to the file until I unlock the drive again.

Penguin360, Sep 7, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Do you mean a padlock that looks like this?

Unlocking locked files help [​IMG]

That means the file is encrypted with EFS encryption. Encrypt or Decrypt a Folder or File

If you didn't backup the encryption keys then the files are not accessible and you can not get them back. If the padlock looks different please post a picture so we can understand the issue.

As an aside "Everyone" means just that - any user - you don't have a specific user called "Everyone".

lx07, Sep 7, 2017
  5. The Cosmo Win User
    Ix07,
    Yes, that's exactly what it looks like.
    Files belonged to a former employee. I am curious why her user ID didn't show up.
    Is there anyway short of reformatting to delete these files as there is a total of 230G?
    Thanks, Cosmo

The Cosmo, Sep 7, 2017
  6. Wiley Coyote, Sep 7, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    If the former employee's log in is still available you may have more control if you can log in as them (you may need to reset their password and promote them to an administrator first).

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unlocking locked files help - Similar Threads - Unlocking locked files

2. Unlock File locked by OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unlock File locked by OneDrive: Hi,I backed up my OneDrive to an external Harddrive. The Onedrive Account was deleted and now when I try to open a file from my external Harddrive I cannot access it anymore. Each file has a golden lock on it. Does that mean it is encrypted?Any suggestions on what to do?Best...
  3. Unlock File locked by OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unlock File locked by OneDrive: Hi,I backed up my OneDrive to an external Harddrive. The Onedrive Account was deleted and now when I try to open a file from my external Harddrive I cannot access it anymore. Each file has a golden lock on it. Does that mean it is encrypted?Any suggestions on what to do?Best...
  4. Locked account and unlocking it

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Locked account and unlocking it: I was wondering that if you guys can unlock my account and can you send an email to me so that i can unlock it because i didnt do anything at all but it says that i did something wrong for it to lock but please either send me an email to verify my account unlockage the...
  5. screen lock unlocking

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    screen lock unlocking: hi there i was wondering if anyone could help me unlock a oppo a73 screen lock please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-lock-unlocking/cebbeb6c-5f9b-41f6-b426-22b8cc497235
  6. Unlocking files locked with BitLocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unlocking files locked with BitLocker: After an update to my Windows 10 Pro edition, I no longer have access to the files in the Documents folder on my C drive. I had previously encrypted these with BitLocker but now it is showing that BitLocker is turned off and logging in to my user account no longer unencrypts...
  7. Need help locking/unlocking fn key.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need help locking/unlocking fn key.: My fn key has no light. I do not have a fn lock button. None of the shortcuts work. When I open BIOS, there is no "Action Keys Mode." Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-lockingunlocking-fn-key/c9ebdb3c-7da5-472f-bed6-7e23b84319a9
  8. Lock and unlock screen

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Lock and unlock screen: What is the real purpose of locking and unlocking the screen different also metro more difficult to get around? Awesome the person before me wanted to know back grammar correction spelling tell him to go to Grammarly: Free Writing Assistant https://www.grammarly.com...
  9. Files Locked; unable to unlock

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files Locked; unable to unlock: Hi: A while back, I was messing with some stuff I probably shouldn't have, particularly with BitLocker feature on Windows 7. I just recently got a new computer running Windows 10 and some files still are "locked" and cannot be viewed. I've tried everything I could but have...
  10. how to unlock locked files?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to unlock locked files?: how to unlock locked files and folders,...? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/how-to-unlock-locked-files/929b04f4-efe0-41f9-bc72-8f2ad6962e16"