Windows 10: Unmark a partition as "active"

Discus and support Unmark a partition as "active" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, i have windows 10. I have a 120 gig ssd and another hard drive of 2 terra.b. . I was looking at my discs in Disc Management and i saw one has the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TrinaForeman, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Unmark a partition as "active"

Hi, i have windows 10. I have a 120 gig ssd and another hard drive of 2 terra.b. . I was looking at my discs in Disc Management and i saw one has the word "active" included along the line where it says Healthy system, boot, crash dump, active, Primary Partition. The ssd only had Healthy system, primary partition I was thinking it may need the word "active" so i clicked on "active" now it is added to the list of Healthy. Is this wrong to do????? I do not know how to make the word "active " go away back as there seems to be no option. Unmark a partition as "active" 3aaedd52-0d45-48f5-99db-12271e7b1793?upload=true.png

:)

TrinaForeman, Feb 13, 2020

2. unmark a partition as "active"

Hello Bob,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

Please be informed that marking a partition as active on a basic disk means that the computer will use the loader (an operating system tool) on that partition to start the operating system. An active partition is a partition on a hard drive set as the bootable
    partition that contains the operating system. So it is not advisable to configure anything related to boot partition.

Please follow the below steps to unmark the partition as active:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• Type in diskpart and press Enter.
    • To identify which disk you need to work with. Type the command: list disk.

This will list all the drives connected to your computer.

• To select the disk enter the command: select disk n

"n" will correspond to the disk # for the ssd you are referring to.

• To list all the partitions on the disk enter the command:
      list partition

• To select a partition use: select partition n

Substitute "n" correctly and it will select the particular partitions on that drive.

• To unmark the current partition as active use the command line:
      inactive

• Exit the command prompt using command:
      exit

• Reboot the system to let the changes happen.

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further assistance, we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Feb 13, 2020
  3. unmark a partition as "active"

After changing to active partition my computer doesn't boot so what can I do now?

Ayush Chandra, Feb 13, 2020
  4. BobBerndt Win User

Unmark a partition as "active"

unmark a partition as "active"

Hi, i have windows 10. I have a 120 gig ssd and another hard drive of 2 terra.b. . I was looking at my discs in Disc Management and i saw one has the word "active" included along the line where it says Healthy ( system, boot, crash dump, active, Primary
    Partition). The ssd only had Healthy (system, primary partition) I was thinking it may need the word "active" so i clicked on "active" now it is added to the list of Healthy. Is this wrong to do????? I do not know how to make the word "active " go away
    (back) as there seems to be no option. Do i need to find one please help Bob.

Original title: Disc Management

BobBerndt, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

Unmark a partition as "active"

1. Unmark a partition as "active" - Similar Threads - Unmark partition active

2. Change active EFI partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change active EFI partition: Hello,I am trying to update the BIOS on my laptop but it says 'esp disk space not enough'. I noticed that I have 2 efi system partitions: one is 1 GB and is on the SSD where the OS is installed. This is completely free. The other is 100 MB and is on an HDD and this seems to...
  3. Change active EFI partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change active EFI partition: Hello,I am trying to update the BIOS on my laptop but it says 'esp disk space not enough'. I noticed that I have 2 efi system partitions: one is 1 GB and is on the SSD where the OS is installed. This is completely free. The other is 100 MB and is on an HDD and this seems to...
  4. Test on unmark as answer

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Test on unmark as answer: This is a testing thread, should be deleted. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/test-on-unmark-as-answer/bded52d3-b679-44e9-98d6-bca593c2e21e
  5. Change system/active partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change system/active partition: Hello, I would like to get rid of Disk 0 from my computer and change my new ssd drive Disk 1 / C:. Can I just mark the new ssd as active where windows 10 is installed and that will work? [ATTACH]...
  6. Marked the wrong partition as active

in Windows 10 Support
    Marked the wrong partition as active: While trying to solve a different problem i followed an article: You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive from Setup, 0xc1900104 In which i went into disk managment and marked a different partition as active which does not have an OS, how can i revert back to the other...
  7. After unmarking partition my computer doesn't boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After unmarking partition my computer doesn't boot.: The partition containing windows 10 was made "active" which was later unmark as guided by Sayan_Ghosh in his reply to BobBerndt dated February 6, 2016. After unmarking partition my computer doesn't boot, kindly guide what to do now...
  8. Active partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Active partition: i am trying to set an active partition but my computer shows 7 partitions. How do I know what one to set as active? 68686
  9. What is an active partition?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What is an active partition?: hi again, By accident I've partitioned my external HHD as active (by fiddling around with the Disk Manager), and it seems I can't undo it. Can that cause any damage to the bootup? I hope not. My system should boot up from the C: drive, as far as I know, and C: is an...
  10. Can't unmark Read only from folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't unmark Read only from folder.: Hi there, I cant make a folder to full access. It remains as READ only always, when I try to unmark the square mark. Its like there in all of my files and folders. Do anything special to do to make them full access other than unmarking read only ? Thank You. 12513

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unmark a partition as active