Windows 10: UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DRIVE after Windows Update rebooted PC

Discus and support UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DRIVE after Windows Update rebooted PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I am a Linux software developer which is not to say I'm wholly unknowledgeable about Windows but I haven't done much "desktop support" since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cmshowers, May 31, 2018.

1. cmshowers Win User

UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DRIVE after Windows Update rebooted PC

Hello,

I am a Linux software developer which is not to say I'm wholly unknowledgeable about Windows but I haven't done much "desktop support" since Windows XP. Someone in my household has a Windows 10 PC which they left on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning it had the following blue screen message: "Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC". I'm fairly confident that Windows Update restarted the PC over night. If I click the "Exit and continue to Windows 10" button, I will get a blue screen with the error "UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DRIVE" before it automatically reboots and tries the automatic startup repair.

I've booted the PC with a live Ubuntu disc and Linux has no problem mounting the partitions. I've examined the drive contents and while I don't really know what to look for, there seem to be all the normal folders (Windows, Program Files, etc) and even has the registry files in WINDOWS/System32/config and a backup under RegBack. So I can conclude that the error message "UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DRIVE" is not accurate.

I have also used the command prompt you can get to after the automatic startup repair fails and done all of the things that are often suggested including:
    chkdsk /f d:
    bootrec.exe /fixboot
    bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
    sfc /SCANNOW

The chkdsk passes without a single issue reported. The bootrec commands are kind of a ludicrous suggestion since the PC is booting to the recovery menu which means the MBR and boot loader are functioning (and the PC is indeed MBR, not UEFI). The system file checker is the most interesting one as it does 100% of the Verification phase and then immediately fails with the error "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation".

I made an image of the PC and have reproduced all these issues in a virtual machine so I know there are no hardware issues preventing me from fixing the issue. It's not a big deal for me to reinstall Windows on the PC but I have become obsessed with figuring out this problem of a totally mountable UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DRIVE.

If anyone has further suggestions or knows where there are logs I can look at for more clues to the problem, please respond!

Thank you for your time,
    Chris Showers

:)

cmshowers, May 31, 2018
Thema:

UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DRIVE after Windows Update rebooted PC

1. UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DRIVE after Windows Update rebooted PC - Similar Threads - UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DRIVE

2. unmountable boot drive ntfs blue screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unmountable boot drive ntfs blue screen: About a month ago I've bought a brand new 2in1 with windows 11 pro 21h2 preinstalled. Today windows update prompt me to install v23h2 and I accepted. The installation frozen on restart at 73%. I shut it down and on restart it reversed the changes and booted again with v21h2....
  3. Unmountable Boot Volume everytime after update anything.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unmountable Boot Volume everytime after update anything.: I just bought a new laptop recently that comes with Windows 10. My previous laptop, an old refurbished laptop can run Windows 10 normally and still running well after every regular Windows Update. But my new laptop crashed and booted up into BSOD after a single driver update....
  4. Unmountable Boot Volume everytime after update anything.

Unmountable Boot Volume everytime after update anything.: I just bought a new laptop recently that comes with Windows 10. My previous laptop, an old refurbished laptop can run Windows 10 normally and still running well after every regular Windows Update. But my new laptop crashed and booted up into BSOD after a single driver update....
  5. Monitor for unmounted drives after a reboot in Windows Server various version

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor for unmounted drives after a reboot in Windows Server various version: Our IT has our Windows Patches Automated. But sometimes very infrequently we have a system reboot and one of the virtual drives does not get remounted. Our SAN gurus did not see any errors and the asked Microsoft about any known patches which there are none. So we would like...
  6. Monitor for unmounted drives after a reboot in Windows Server various version

Monitor for unmounted drives after a reboot in Windows Server various version: Our IT has our Windows Patches Automated. But sometimes very infrequently we have a system reboot and one of the virtual drives does not get remounted. Our SAN gurus did not see any errors and the asked Microsoft about any known patches which there are none. So we would like...
  7. Monitor for unmounted drives after a reboot in Windows Server various version

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Windows unmounts my D: drive on reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows unmounts my D: drive on reboot: Windows keeps unmounting my D drive on reboot.How can I get it to keep it mounted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-unmounts-my-d-drive-on-reboot/f6e21781-287a-48f6-a49d-2a60f2a1d133
  9. Windows unmounts my D: drive on reboot

Windows unmounts my D: drive on reboot: Windows keeps unmounting my D drive on reboot.How can I get it to keep it mounted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-unmounts-my-d-drive-on-reboot/f6e21781-287a-48f6-a49d-2a60f2a1d133
  10. Unmountable boot volume on Cold boot, But reboot and it starts fine

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unmountable boot volume on Cold boot, But reboot and it starts fine: After my computer has been off overnight maybe 6 hours when I turn it back on it will just sit at the windows loading screen and after 5min it will blue screen with "unmountable boot volume" But the problem is If I reboot or shut off and turn back on it boots right into...