Windows 10: UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DRIVE after Windows Update rebooted PC

Discus and support UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DRIVE after Windows Update rebooted PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I am a Linux software developer which is not to say I'm wholly unknowledgeable about Windows but I haven't done much "desktop support" since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cmshowers, May 31, 2018.

1. cmshowers Win User

UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DRIVE after Windows Update rebooted PC

Hello,

I am a Linux software developer which is not to say I'm wholly unknowledgeable about Windows but I haven't done much "desktop support" since Windows XP. Someone in my household has a Windows 10 PC which they left on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning it had the following blue screen message: "Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC". I'm fairly confident that Windows Update restarted the PC over night. If I click the "Exit and continue to Windows 10" button, I will get a blue screen with the error "UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DRIVE" before it automatically reboots and tries the automatic startup repair.

I've booted the PC with a live Ubuntu disc and Linux has no problem mounting the partitions. I've examined the drive contents and while I don't really know what to look for, there seem to be all the normal folders (Windows, Program Files, etc) and even has the registry files in WINDOWS/System32/config and a backup under RegBack. So I can conclude that the error message "UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DRIVE" is not accurate.

I have also used the command prompt you can get to after the automatic startup repair fails and done all of the things that are often suggested including:
    chkdsk /f d:
    bootrec.exe /fixboot
    bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
    sfc /SCANNOW

The chkdsk passes without a single issue reported. The bootrec commands are kind of a ludicrous suggestion since the PC is booting to the recovery menu which means the MBR and boot loader are functioning (and the PC is indeed MBR, not UEFI). The system file checker is the most interesting one as it does 100% of the Verification phase and then immediately fails with the error "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation".

I made an image of the PC and have reproduced all these issues in a virtual machine so I know there are no hardware issues preventing me from fixing the issue. It's not a big deal for me to reinstall Windows on the PC but I have become obsessed with figuring out this problem of a totally mountable UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DRIVE.

If anyone has further suggestions or knows where there are logs I can look at for more clues to the problem, please respond!

Thank you for your time,
    Chris Showers

:)

cmshowers, May 31, 2018
Thema:

UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DRIVE after Windows Update rebooted PC

1. UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DRIVE after Windows Update rebooted PC - Similar Threads - UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DRIVE

2. PC keeps rebooting after the last update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC keeps rebooting after the last update: After the last Windows 10 update my PC keeps rebooting, it lasts for hours and nothing seems to be working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-keeps-rebooting-after-the-last-update/edc3d4c5-0bd3-4912-829c-1cf7a135e7d5
  3. Unmountable boot error

Unmountable boot error: Hello! My laptop has been getting the blue screen with the “unmountable boot error” when I try to start it up. I made USB drive of the windows media installation to try to fix it but it doesn’t show up. Ive tried changing the boot order & tried using F9 to select it but it’s...
  4. How to unmount drive?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to unmount drive?: I mounted Anniversary Update.iso and successfully upgraded Win10. I further updated from 393.0 to 393.10. In both instances afterwards, the empty drive remained. How do I unmount it? Context menu offered no option. Disk Management doesn't list it at the top panel. While...
  5. PC not booting after an update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    PC not booting after an update: I been running 10 for about a week and this morning it rebooted for an update. Now I have message" reboot and select proper boot device or insert media in selected boot device and press any key" *Sad I tried the Windows 10 dvd I made but all it seems to do is install...
  6. Unmountable boot volume

Unmountable boot volume: Hello all, Currently at my wits end with my Acer Aspire E1-570 so I'm turning to you for help! The problem begin with a plain black screen and only a cursor visible. My girlfriend was using the laptop at the time so I am unsure as to how we got here. I was able to open...
  7. Problem to solve unmountable boot volume error with flash drive boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem to solve unmountable boot volume error with flash drive boot: Hello everyone I have a Samsung laptop using Windows 10 and a couple of days ago a blue screen with an unmountable boot volume error showed up after booting, saying the computer would be restarted.After restart a loading recovery option message shows up with the samsung...
  8. Unmountable boot error loop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unmountable boot error loop: Hey everyone. I am running Windows 10 on a Lenovo T520 computer. My problems began when I was having issues with my computer being slow after the most recent Windows update. I decided to rollback my build. I did so, and then upon logging in, my taskbar would freeze and...
  9. PC reboot loop after update to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    PC reboot loop after update to Windows 10: Good morning everyone, I was using a machine with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, and it was working perfect till the day I upgraded to Windows 10. First, I had a few problems during the update, probably due to the not updated (with the last drivers) nVidia card. My specs:...
  10. Inaccessible Boot Drive after Update?

in Windows 10 Support
    Inaccessible Boot Drive after Update?: Since yesterday (15 Jan 2018) I started to encounter this issue. At first I did not know what caused it, but this morning (16 Jan) it happened again and this time I was prompted to restart my PC for a hardware update. When I restart my PC, Windows tells me that my Boot SSD...