Windows 10: Unmountable boot volume - chkdsk /r does not solve issue

Discus and support Unmountable boot volume - chkdsk /r does not solve issue in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I got an ASUS zenbook with windows 10 installed. When I turn it on it shows the BSOD error "unmountable boot volume". It keeps on re-starting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Erdinger, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Erdinger Win User

Unmountable boot volume - chkdsk /r does not solve issue

Hi,
    I got an ASUS zenbook with windows 10 installed. When I turn it on it shows the BSOD error "unmountable boot volume". It keeps on re-starting forever and never display any "repair computer options".

To try and solve I created an Windows10 image on a usb device and tried to run the repair from that. This is not working since the laptop is freezing after I press "System Restore" or "Automatic repair". The only thing that works is the command prompt option. I ran the chkdsk /r command two times and it seems to run ok (checks all files) but are not able to provide an error log afterwards. When I restart the computer it goes back to the BSOD-message and is rebooting constantly.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks,

:)

Erdinger, Feb 16, 2017

2. bsod Can't access desktop

Hi,

First follow this :

Troubleshoot blue screen errors

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-blue-screen-errors

That may help you resolve the problem or get to a point that it can be resolved by someone a little more technical. If needed as a friend or relative or seek tech support

from a local shop.

The more serious error if you are still getting it is the 0x000000EF CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED.

If you are only getting the 0x000000ED Unmountable_Boot_Volume use :

Bug Check 0xED: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

BCCode: ED 0x000000ED <-- read this though its likely hardware error

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Use the Windows Disk as made in my previous post then Command Prompt to run :

(Where C: is the drive Windows is on.)

Chkdsk C: /f /r

(spaces after k , C: , and /f such as Chkdsk C: /f /r using just one space each time)

Rob - SpiritX

Rob - SpiritX

SpiritX MS MVP, Feb 16, 2017
  3. Octorant Win User
    NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM error repair Windows 10.

Since the ?mid-November 2017? update, my desktop system intermittently goes to black screen with filesystem error. I ran chkdsk overnight after reboot. Now it fails to boot. Initially I got an 'unmountable boot volume' error. I created a USB media bootable.
    I ran repair, but it says it is unable to repair. System reboot now fails with 'stopcode: NTFS filesystem'. Repair does nothing, BIOS set to default values.

Is this disk (1TB WD, 1.5 years old) now trashed?

Octorant, Feb 16, 2017
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi Erdinger,

Do you see an option 'Startup repair' in the advanced options?
    If you do, run it 3 times with a reboot between each.

5. Erdinger Win User
    When I choose that option I get the message: "To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system, and then select System Restore"

When I restart I can't select between any OS. Either it keeps going back to the BSOD or it keeps loading Windows from the usb stick.

Erdinger, Feb 17, 2017
  6. axe0 New Member
    Could you try diskpart in the command prompt please and run following commands in order
    Code: diskpart list disk sel disk 0 list partition[/quote] Post a photo of the command prompt.

7. Erdinger Win User
    Hi,
    A new problem occured. Now I'm not able to run the command prompt at all. I boot up from the usb with the win10 image I created from Microsoft's website and can choose Advanced Troubleshooting but when this menu opens I get the message: To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system, and then select System Restore" every time.

Does it exist some other program that will allow me to run cmd from a usb ?

Erdinger, Feb 18, 2017
  8. axe0 New Member

9. Erdinger Win User
    I created a bootable USB with that image now and starter CMD but it has been stuck on this image for 20 minutes now.
    Unmountable boot volume - chkdsk /r does not solve issue [​IMG]

Erdinger, Feb 19, 2017
  10. Erdinger Win User
    Opened notepad and got this error btw.

Erdinger, Feb 19, 2017
  11. Erdinger Win User
    Finally got the disk part to work after waiting 30 minutes. See attached image.

Erdinger, Feb 19, 2017
  12. axe0 New Member
    Open macrium reflect and try 'Fix Windows boot problems' option.

13. Erdinger Win User

I cannot run Macrium Reflect. It will stop launching after I choose keyboard layout. After a while it asks me to end the process.

Erdinger, Feb 19, 2017
  14. axe0 New Member
    Given all the results, I would currently guess that the RAM may be faulty

Diagnostic Test
    RAM TEST

Run MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Note

MemTest86+ needs to be run for at least 8 complete passes for conclusive results. Set it running before you go to bed and leave it overnight. We're looking for zero errors here. Even a single error will indicate RAM failure.

Make a photo of the result and post it.

Addition:
    If errors show up you can stop the test, remove all sticks but 1 and test this single stick in each slot for 8 passes or until errors show, switch sticks and repeat.
    If errors show up and you see them a lot later, no problem, the errors don't affect the test.

15. Erdinger Win User
    Hi. I finally got Macrium Reflect to run but with errors. See attached pictures.

Erdinger, Feb 20, 2017
Thema:

1. Unmountable boot volume - chkdsk /r does not solve issue - Similar Threads - Unmountable boot volume

2. Unmountable boot volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unmountable boot volume: Unmountable boot volume https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unmountable-boot-volume/0a612465-960b-44be-ad9e-c68d9cb94c12
  3. Unmountable boot volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unmountable boot volume: Unmountable boot volume https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unmountable-boot-volume/e3de52a9-ffbf-4347-a088-882dbc4b14a2
  4. Unmountable boot volume

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unmountable boot volume: I've tried Installing a game and my laptop asked for a restart and I clicked on Restart Now. After that, I got Your pc ran into a problem screen with stop code: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.My laptop kept on restating again and again just the Acer logo and Blue screen immediately....
  5. Unmountable boot volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unmountable boot volume: How to overcome this error blue screen appears and restarts again and repeating again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unmountable-boot-volume/10422cf3-e96b-4048-b980-62475e4f4d9f
  6. Unmountable Boot Volume

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unmountable Boot Volume: I'm receiving a blue screen saying the device ran into a problem and needs to restart. It stays up for a bit then restarts, over and over again. The QR code provided does not lead to any results, unfortunately. The error says UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. I've tried hard resets...
  7. Unmountable Boot Volume

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unmountable Boot Volume: I'm receiving a blue screen saying the device ran into a problem and needs to restart. It stays up for a bit then restarts, over and over again. The QR code provided does not lead to any results, unfortunately. The error says UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. I've tried hard resets...
  8. Unmountable boot volume issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unmountable boot volume issue: I have seen the previous post about this and I am unable to access any advanced options or menus only able to press f9 and enter automatic system repair so those will not work[IMG]...
  9. Unmountable Boot Volume

Unmountable Boot Volume: I get the message Stop Code - UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME Screen says "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" This is a Dell Optiplex 990 that originally came with Windows 7....
  10. UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME

UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME: bonjour wue faire quand l'ordinateur donne pour code d'arrët : UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unmountable-boot-volume/65c9e58f-915d-4922-916b-bcba37fecc85