Windows 10: UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME error + Blank Screen when Booting from USB (After Windows Logo...

Discus and support UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME error + Blank Screen when Booting from USB (After Windows Logo... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; One day I was installing Autodesk Inventor (just an application). After 3 - 4 hours, I was too lazy to turn on my monitor and shut my Dell OptiPlex 990... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KreedMeng, Mar 18, 2019.

1. KreedMeng Win User

UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME error + Blank Screen when Booting from USB (After Windows Logo...

One day I was installing Autodesk Inventor (just an application). After 3 - 4 hours, I was too lazy to turn on my monitor and shut my Dell OptiPlex 990 the normal way (I know, very foolish of me), and just pressed and held the power button until it shut down.

So the 2 Causes are:

Unsafe Shut Down

Something Wrong with the Installation of the App

The next day when I booted up my computer I encountered the error "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you." with the stop code UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME. I searched the stop code online and found a guide.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/unmountable-boot-volume-windows/

The 1st solution was to wait it out, which I did by leaving it on overnight. It didn't work. The next suggested booting from a USB. I got my 3.0 USB and formatted it to fat32, then used windows media creation tool to install the media onto the USB. After that, I plugged it into my pc, changed the boot order with USB boot as the top priority, and started the boot. I was able to get to the windows 10 logo and the loading circles, but after that all I got was a blank screen. I did not observe any led lights flashing indicating the hard drive was being used, or if there was any activity. Waiting it out didn't work too. In addition, I did not see a secure boot option from my BIOS screen, so I assumed that wasn't the problem.

Note: I tried to boot into advanced recovery options, both booting from the USB and the hard drive I usually boot from, but to no avail. My method to access it was to turn my computer on and turn it off as soon as I saw the windows logo (I did this 2 times in total), then turn it back on and let the computer boot normally (At least, that's what multiple guides told me to do).

Note 2: My pc does not have any USB 3.0 ports, even though my USB is 3.0, could that be the problem?

I have one main question, and one that's related to it:

How do I fix my UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME error?

and

How can I make it so that booting from USB won't give a blank screen after the windows logo, so I can finish the steps on the guide linked above?

:)

KreedMeng, Mar 18, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Unmountable Boot Volume

Unmountable boot volume usually means a bad hard drive. Booting the XP CD and running chkdsk will sometime bring the computer back to life for a while, but eventually the drive will die.

newtekie1, Mar 18, 2019
  3. BSOD "Unmountable boot volume" and can't boot to the bootable USB

note: this is a content copy from my post in other forum site.

So I receive an update for "Windows 10 Creators" before doing the update I decided to create a recovery disc to a USB but only to find out I can't create one with error "Missing important files" so I
    googled and found a thread that suggest a steps... one of the step is to supply a command (in administrator level) a "reagentc /disable" this freezed my laptop and then windows crashes and restart. During the restart just after the Asus loading logo the BSOD
    with "unmountable boot volume" error code occurred I tried many restarts but same error being display.

With the "unmountable boot volume" error, I googled and found that I have to use a bootable USB to fix it (I don't have installation CD when I bought the laptop). I grabbed other laptop (with windows 10
    installed) and create a windows 10 bootable in USB. Go back to my damaged laptop I changed the boot sequence to boot in my USB but after the Asus loading logo the screen goes black and stuck there the installation which usually popups didn't displayed. I tried
    on the other laptop where I created the bootable USB to check if the USB is damaged but to my surprise the bootable USB actually works on the other laptop no black screen displayed.

I created the Windows 10 bootable USB using Rufus, then when the black screen is being displayed I tried to create again with the Windows Media Creation Tool which also display black screen.

At this point I'm not sure what to do to fix this... any idea is appreciated...

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup / PC.

Rain.bason, Mar 18, 2019
  4. Noela Tum Win User

UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME error + Blank Screen when Booting from USB (After Windows Logo...

UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME error

Hi Andre,

The challenge that you're experiencing when you got the error, UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME,
    is due to a damaged file system that failed to mount. It also means that sub-system in the machine failed to mount the boot volume. To isolate the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• When did you first encounter the issue?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • How did you upgrade the device to Windows 10?

You can also follow the steps that was shared by Michelle Her and
    Billion Debbarma on these threads to troubleshoot the issue:

Hope this helps and let us know if it works.

Noela Tum, Mar 18, 2019
Thema:

1. UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME error + Blank Screen when Booting from USB (After Windows Logo... - Similar Threads - UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME

2. Unmountable boot volume error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unmountable boot volume error: Is there any option to fix the unmountable boot volume code stop problem without losing our data https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unmountable-boot-volume-error/274bce51-a530-4515-9425-34e04174cebb
  3. Unmountable boot volume error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unmountable boot volume error: Is there any option to fix the unmountable boot volume code stop problem without losing our data https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unmountable-boot-volume-error/274bce51-a530-4515-9425-34e04174cebb
  4. Unmountable boot volume error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unmountable boot volume error: Hello can someone please help meI connected an external hard disk to my laptopMy laptop was still onThen my laptop power button didn't turn on anymoreAfter few minutesIt turned onBut the at the booting screenIt kept showing up the BSODStop code is : UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME My...
  5. Unmountable boot volume error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unmountable boot volume error: Hello can someone please help meI connected an external hard disk to my laptopMy laptop was still onThen my laptop power button didn't turn on anymoreAfter few minutesIt turned onBut the at the booting screenIt kept showing up the BSODStop code is : UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME My...
  6. Unmountable boot volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unmountable boot volume: How to overcome this error blue screen appears and restarts again and repeating again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unmountable-boot-volume/10422cf3-e96b-4048-b980-62475e4f4d9f
  7. USB installer boots to blank screen with Windows logo.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB installer boots to blank screen with Windows logo.: I've just built a new computer, and I'm trying to install windows 10 on it.I've created a USB windows installer from laptop,I can successfully boot to the USB drive but it does not start windows setup, only shows a blank, black screen, with a windows logo.Below are the system...
  8. Unmountable boot volume - Blue screen error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unmountable boot volume - Blue screen error: Hi, When I recently tried to restart my computer, it restarted, but the lockscreen froze. I turned it off, then powered it back on again, and I received a message saying 'Your PC ran into a problem' with the stopcode: Unmountable boot volume. It then straight away heads to...
  9. unmountable boot volume error

unmountable boot volume error: Windows 10 on startup displays brief message directing me to *?*/stopcode and error message "unmountable boot volume". Shortly after it displays "Automatic repair preparing" Then nothing....
  10. blue screen error, Unmountable Boot Volume

blue screen error, Unmountable Boot Volume: I have a blue screen error, Unmountable Boot Volume, and trouble shooting hasn't work. Turning laptop on and off a couple of times gets me to "automatic fix" is being prepared, but then the screen goes gray with only cursor showing. Ideas?...