Windows 10: unmovable files while shrinking

Discus and support unmovable files while shrinking in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; hi im trying to shrink my c drive but because of unmovable files i cant shrink beyond 6GB i have already disabled page files, hibernation and system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kianosharian, Feb 7, 2020.

1. unmovable files while shrinking

hi

im trying to shrink my c drive but because of unmovable files i cant shrink beyond 6GB i have already disabled page files, hibernation and system restore and did the cleanup but still i cant go beyond 6GB.thank you.

:)

kianosharian, Feb 7, 2020
  2. qinada Win User

my disk drive is not shrink beyond the point

You cannot shrink Unmovable files via disk management, but you can directly directly

shrink partition with unmovable files
    by AOMEI Partition Assistant. It is a freeware for Windows 10/8/7 that can easily shrink a volume or partition beyond the point where the unmovable files are located without the need to manually disable the unmovable
    files.

qinada, Feb 7, 2020
  3. raman Win User
    Shrink failed in windows 10 due to The last unmovable file appears to be: \$BitMap::$DATA

I am using Windows 10 OS and have 800gb of free space in Volume C: of my 1TB Hard disk. i only have C: drive and a recovery drive. I am trying to do a partition but it's failing due to unmovable files.

1. chkdsk has been run- no issues
    2. error checking - no erros
    3. Cleanup disk - done
    4. defragment - done - 0% fragmented
    5. finally triggered Shrink- - shrink upto 800gb of free space available - triggere for 300gb but failed due to many reasons

First i encountered System Volume information for which i turned off System restore , then hibernate then internet files - which are taken care of.
    but now i get the error :
    The last unmovable file appears to be: \$BitMap::$DATA

How could i resolve this?

Thanks in Advance

raman, Feb 7, 2020
  4. unmovable files while shrinking

Cannot shrink C: partition: Not enough space

Try launching the Event Viewer to see which individual files are blocking the partition shrink.

1. Once again, attempt to shrink the partition. You should get the "There is not enough space" error.
    2. Launch Windows' Event Viewer application.
    3. In Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs > Application.
    4. Find and Click a recent log of type Warning. It should have the message, "Error: during volume shrink initiated on volume Windows (Cunmovable files while shrinking :) we failed to move a movable file extent." (screenshot)
    5. The Diagnostic details will give you the name of the "last unmovable file"
    6. Delete this file (Simply send to recycle bin. I did not need a hard delete).
    7. Try shrinking your volume again.
    8. Repeat steps 2-7 until you successfully shrink your partition. (In my case, I had to do this 3 times, as I had 3 pdf files in my local Google Drive that were for some reason stuck as 'unmovable'.).
    9. Restore your deleted files.

CAUTION:
    Make sure you know what you are deleting! In my case, I knew that these pdf files were:

1. Not system files
    2. Easy to download again if they became lost

misterschmitz, Feb 7, 2020
Thema:

unmovable files while shrinking

1. unmovable files while shrinking - Similar Threads - unmovable files while

2. Shrink volume size error. The last unmovable file appears to be: \$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shrink volume size error. The last unmovable file appears to be: \$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA: I want to partition my C: drive, but the available shrink volume size is very less even when is have around 900GB of free storage. I have already tried disabling the header, pager and system recovery file. It didn't work.The error in event viewer is given as: The last...
  3. Shrink volume size error. The last unmovable file appears to be: \$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shrink volume size error. The last unmovable file appears to be: \$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA: I want to partition my C: drive, but the available shrink volume size is very less even when is have around 900GB of free storage. I have already tried disabling the header, pager and system recovery file. It didn't work.The error in event viewer is given as: The last...
  4. Server 2019 - Cannot shrink a volume beyond the point where unmovable files are located

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Server 2019 - Cannot shrink a volume beyond the point where unmovable files are located: Apparently the steps for disabling System Protection are not valid on Server 2019. I have performed the first two steps successfully, but method 3 does not work on 2019. Is there a way to disable System Protection so I can successfully shrink my C drive beyond 50%..?? I still...
  5. Server 2019 - Cannot shrink a volume beyond the point where unmovable files are located

Server 2019 - Cannot shrink a volume beyond the point where unmovable files are located: Apparently the steps for disabling System Protection are not valid on Server 2019. I have performed the first two steps successfully, but method 3 does not work on 2019. Is there a way to disable System Protection so I can successfully shrink my C drive beyond 50%..?? I still...
  6. I am unable to shrink partition due to Eset unmovable files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am unable to shrink partition due to Eset unmovable files: This is the defrag that I getA volume shrink analysis was initiated on volume Windows-SSD C:. This event log entry details information about the last unmovable file that could limit the maximum number of reclaimable bytes. Diagnostic details: - The last unmovable file...
  7. I am unable to shrink partition due to Eset unmovable files

I am unable to shrink partition due to Eset unmovable files: This is the defrag that I getA volume shrink analysis was initiated on volume Windows-SSD C:. This event log entry details information about the last unmovable file that could limit the maximum number of reclaimable bytes. Diagnostic details: - The last unmovable file...
  8. Latest working fix for "Cannot shrink a volume beyond the point where any unmovable files...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest working fix for "Cannot shrink a volume beyond the point where any unmovable files...: Trying to shrink C on my travel laptop to install WIndows 11 preview. Disk Management won't shrink at all due to error in title. I tried disabing Hibernation, System Restore, Virtual Paging File, Disk Cleanup. Then tried Partition Wizard which previously could do this with...
  9. How to defragment and move unmovable files?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to defragment and move unmovable files?: Hi, I want to "consolidate" (put together) all unmovable files (all those whose names start with $) in the very beginning of C: and then close to that piece I want to put pagefile.sys. The thing is that no program I know not only offers to MOVE them but also DOES it. Disktrix...
  10. Volume not shrinking due to an unmovable file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Volume not shrinking due to an unmovable file: My laptop has 512GB SSD. I want to shrink my C: drive. It has over 300GB free but I can only shrink upto 91,508 MB . I have disabled system restore, hibernation and stopped page files from being created. I checked the Application logs to see which file caused defrag...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. you cannot shrink beyond unmovable files

2. what unmovable files are blocking shrinking