Windows 10: unmuting sound

Discus and support unmuting sound in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I can't hear sounds through my external speakers. Down in the bottom right hand corner of my screen is a little icon showing a speaker with an X next... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Paul Ciotti, Apr 11, 2021.

1. unmuting sound

I can't hear sounds through my external speakers. Down in the bottom right hand corner of my screen is a little icon showing a speaker with an X next to it. In the past I have unmuted the sound by clicking on the X. But now clicking on it does not unmute it. I also can't get any sounds through my headphones when I plug them into the front of my computer in the speaker jack.

My computer does have a near useless internal speaker which is still working but the sound quality is poor and the volume low. What I need to do is turn off the internal speaker and turn back on the speaker jack so I can use my external speakers again. I am sure this is a simple matter of clicking on something somewhere. But I have no idea where.

Any ideas? Clicking on the unmute button doesn't work. It stays muted.

:)

Paul Ciotti, Apr 11, 2021
  2. Jacee Win User

Windows has started unmuting sound on bootup.

Have you tried this?:

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Click on Hardware and sound.
    3. Click the Change system sounds link
      Uncheck startup sound

unmuting sound [​IMG]

Jacee, Apr 11, 2021
  3. unmute microphone in taskbar

Hi Ruth,

This issue might have been caused by a misconfigured settings or incompatible driver. For us to unmute the microphone, please follow these steps:

• At the system tray, right-click on the volume icon.
    • Select Recording devices.
    • On the Sound window, make sure that you are on the Recording tab.
    • On the list of recording devices, double-click on your microphone device.
    • Properties window will open. Click on Levels tab.
    • Increase the Microphone slider to maximum.
    • Click the speaker icon next to it to unmute the microphone.
    • Click on Apply, and then click on OK to save changes.

Let us know how it goes.

Janeane Cru, Apr 11, 2021
  4. WTweb Win User

unmuting sound

Prevent websites from unmuting sound in Windows 10

I have the sound muted in windows 10. Certain websites, CNN in particular, have some way to turn on the system sound. This shouldn't be possible but its happening regularly with Google Chrome. Any suggestions how to prevent a website from unmuting the
    windows system sound?

WTweb, Apr 11, 2021
Thema:

unmuting sound

1. unmuting sound - Similar Threads - unmuting sound

2. My computer will not unmute and I have tried troubleshooting the sound restarting it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer will not unmute and I have tried troubleshooting the sound restarting it...: I have tried to unmute it using buttons I’ve tried restarting it I’ve done the troubleshooting Audio nothing is working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-will-not-unmute-and-i-have-tried/3fa2fce3-676e-4604-9bb3-bc0746a79a11
  3. My computer will not unmute and I have tried troubleshooting the sound restarting it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer will not unmute and I have tried troubleshooting the sound restarting it...: I have tried to unmute it using buttons I’ve tried restarting it I’ve done the troubleshooting Audio nothing is working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-will-not-unmute-and-i-have-tried/3fa2fce3-676e-4604-9bb3-bc0746a79a11
  4. How to change sound setting to automatically unmute sound when a headphone wired or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change sound setting to automatically unmute sound when a headphone wired or...: I have two HP laptops. The older one is running Windows 10 Pro and the newer one is running Windows 11 home. On both of them I keep the sound muted unless I need to hear something. However, on the older one, it automatically unmutes the sound when I connect a Bluetooth...
  5. How to change sound setting to automatically unmute sound when a headphone wired or...

How to change sound setting to automatically unmute sound when a headphone wired or...: I have two HP laptops. The older one is running Windows 10 Pro and the newer one is running Windows 11 home. On both of them I keep the sound muted unless I need to hear something. However, on the older one, it automatically unmutes the sound when I connect a Bluetooth...
  6. Application Foundry VTT v10 sound mutes when FOCUSED, unmutes when UNFOCUSED!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Application Foundry VTT v10 sound mutes when FOCUSED, unmutes when UNFOCUSED!: Hello all. New to this forum so please let me know if I screw up somehow. I am running Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22621 Build 22621. I am using the VTT software Foundry. A few months ago, it started to exhibit this bizarre behavior: https://youtu.be/v1MZ1qxKwSY That's right. When...
  7. Application Foundry VTT v10 sound mutes when FOCUSED, unmutes when UNFOCUSED!

Application Foundry VTT v10 sound mutes when FOCUSED, unmutes when UNFOCUSED!: Hello all. New to this forum so please let me know if I screw up somehow. I am running Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22621 Build 22621. I am using the VTT software Foundry. A few months ago, it started to exhibit this bizarre behavior: https://youtu.be/v1MZ1qxKwSY That's right. When...
  8. Sound muting and unmuting automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound muting and unmuting automatically: My new PC keeps muting the sound and unmuting it automatically. I have searched forums and websites, but none have the answer. How do I stop this from happening?...
  9. Sound muting and unmuting automatically

Sound muting and unmuting automatically: My new PC keeps muting the sound and unmuting it automatically. I have searched forums and websites, but none have the answer. How do I stop this from happening?...
  10. Sound muting and unmuting automatically

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging