Windows 10: Unplayable FPS Drops after a Windows Update

Discus and support Unplayable FPS Drops after a Windows Update in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; HI all, I hope this is the right area for this. If it isn't let me know and I'll cross post/post it there instead! Also, sorry if this is long, I tend... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/xxYEZUSxx, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Unplayable FPS Drops after a Windows Update

HI all, I hope this is the right area for this. If it isn't let me know and I'll cross post/post it there instead! Also, sorry if this is long, I tend to get kinda wordy, I'll have a TLUnplayable FPS Drops after a Windows Update :DR at the bottom. In accordance with the rules, I searched for problems like mine but so far have found nothing that could help. I did, however, see that many people are having issues, including performance issues, after the last few updates.

On June 2nd of this year, I downloaded KB4556803 as I was trying to add a new Destiny 2 overlay tool for Xbox game bar. To download it, the app store told me I needed an update in order to use it. So I did, and that is where my issues started. Since then every single game runs at about 20 frames from the normal 60 that i get. I am on an ASUS Laptop, 60hz screen, NVIDIA GTX 1650, 16gbs of RAM, i5-9300H CPU 2.4GHZ. Not sure what else I can add spec wise that will help but let me know and I will add it. At first I thought it was just a problem with Destiny 2, a game known to have random FPS drop problems, and so I ignored it for the time as I could just play on xbox. The next game I played was Borderlands 2, and I'm not sure if its just cause its an older game or not, but I think it was getting slightly above 30fps. So I couldn't exactly tell if something was wrong, maybe due to being acustomed to 30fps for so long. Obviously I should have checked sooner so I could have rolled back the update, but a lot of this stuff is sill newish to me. And, after a long day of staring at a screen for work, the last thing I wanted to do was mess with a computer some more.

So I pushed it off until today, June 12th. I attempted to run the Witcher 3, and it was hitting under 20 for frames making it unplayable. It's well past the 10 days (couldn't they give us a few more weeks for this?) to roll back the previous one, now update KB4557957 is installed and the only one I can uninstall is that one. I tried to uninstall 7957, which I was able to do, but it gave me an error when I tried to uninstall 6803. I unfortunately do not have a back up I can restore to, but maybe this is the kinda problem I needed to have in order to get a backup drive and do regular backups.

Things I have tried to fix this so far:

1. I have updated and reinstalled the Graphics driver already.
    2. I have messed with all in game settings, I at least know how all that stuff works. Nothing was changed from how I had it running prior to the update. I can play most games on High to a custom hybrid of med to high and will have no problems maintaining 60FPS.
    3. I went through NVIDIA Control panel and checked my settings.
    4. Tried seeing if shutting Game Bar off would help, it didn't.
    5. I've talked it through with one of my more PC savvy friends and he really wasn't sure what else I could do except for a fresh install of Windows 10 or something called a DDU (something I'd like to avoid completely if possible, it is out of my comfort zone). A fresh windows install is a last resort, I wanted to see if there are any other options.

TLUnplayable FPS Drops after a Windows Update :DR: Prior to KB4556803, no issues. After the update, major issues. It only seems logical that it is the cause, and KB4557957 did not fix it. Has anyone else experienced this? What are my options? If you think an update down the road could fix this, I am not opposed to waiting it out. I have a backlog on Xbox One to work on.

Additionally, I'd need a backup drive to properly save everything the way I have, which would require me to spend some money I'd rather not spend at the moment. But it could be repurposed into the back up drive after, so I will do it if need be. Second, I have horrendous internet at home, were talking barely 5mbps at 3am type bad. I have a friends I can go to where I'd be able to redownload things.

Any and all information, tips, and help are greatly appreciated. If you made it to here, thank you so much for your time.

submitted by /u/xxYEZUSxx
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/xxYEZUSxx, Jun 16, 2020
  2. LoveWanda Win User

Windows 10 fall update - gaming/fps drop

Hello!

Today i got the windows fall updated.
    i played just fine most of the day, i noticed my pc acts a bit slower but it didn't really bother me.
    Then out of nowhere, my fps in overwatch dropped, was really unplayable, i updated my drivers etc. it was a mess, didn't work.
    I decided to re-roll back, everything went back to be perfect, no fps drop, everything worked just fine.
    Then.. my pc decided to update the april update once again. and i did..
    AND boom, fps drop all over the place. can't play at all.
    It mostly happens in Overwatch.
    so i re-rolled again and disabled updates, work just fine, no issues.
    Any idea what to do?

LoveWanda, Jun 16, 2020
  3. drop fps every game

Hi,

You can check Preeti Patel's answer on this
    link
    . Some users found her answer helpful. We suggest that you also try to follow the steps she provided and let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Lov Dollente, Jun 16, 2020
  4. Unplayable FPS Drops after a Windows Update

FPS drop on Windows 10

what is the model of your laptop. What graphic drivers do you have installed? Can you list a game or two where you measured the FPS drop?

Kevin C [MSFT], Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

Unplayable FPS Drops after a Windows Update

1. Unplayable FPS Drops after a Windows Update - Similar Threads - Unplayable FPS Drops

2. Massive fps drop after Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Massive fps drop after Windows update: After installing the latest Windows update KB5034467 the game installed Rainbow Six Siege, which I've been playing for years is simply unplayable. It was working just fine before, medium graphic settings and getting over 100 fps.AFTER the update, I'm getting 3-4 fps. How is...
  3. Massive fps drop after Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Massive fps drop after Windows update: After installing the latest Windows update KB5034467 the game installed Rainbow Six Siege, which I've been playing for years is simply unplayable. It was working just fine before, medium graphic settings and getting over 100 fps.AFTER the update, I'm getting 3-4 fps. How is...
  4. Roblox unplayable fps drops to zero

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Roblox unplayable fps drops to zero: Okay so I stopped playing Roblox for two weeks and when I come back the game is completely unplayable I join one game and it barley loads then when it loads my FPS is at zero then it goes back to normal and zero every 1/3 secs like my cpu percent goes 1700 and my ping goes up...
  5. Roblox unplayable fps drops to zero

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Roblox unplayable fps drops to zero: Okay so I stopped playing Roblox for two weeks and when I come back the game is completely unplayable I join one game and it barley loads then when it loads my FPS is at zero then it goes back to normal and zero every 1/3 secs like my cpu percent goes 1700 and my ping goes up...
  6. fps drops after latest update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    fps drops after latest update: hi I'm on version 20h2 with the latest update and when I tried to play a game like any game the fps will just drop to 30 or 10 in some cases when it is normally on 60 cpu: i5 3470 Gpu: Gforce gtx 960 4gb Ram:16gb ddr3 1600mhz btw all the latest nvidia drives are installed...
  7. fps drops after update

fps drops after update: Hello! I mainly play csgo. It used to run in 60 fps. Yesterday, there was a small update. After the update, the fps keeps dropping to 5-15 constantly. I tried to revert that update but I couldn't because windows will only allow me to revert versions and I can't do that...
  8. FPS drop after newest windows update

FPS drop after newest windows update: after updating my computer to the newest windows update, some games that ran smoothly is now having some big FPS drops how can i fix this? submitted by /u/oofnibbaaa [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h0w4wq/fps_drop_after_newest_windows_update/
  9. FPS DROPS AND TEARING AFTER THE UPDATE

FPS DROPS AND TEARING AFTER THE UPDATE: So i finally did that update that was popping up the whole time and ever since i have been getting fps drops in games like rocket league and cs how do i fix that and if that cant happen how do i go back to the previous version of the windows submitted by /u/DGodSpeed...
  10. Really big Fps Drop after Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Really big Fps Drop after Windows update: Hello there, I was playing WoW and Overwatch with the fixed and problemless 60 FPS. Yesterday there was an Windows Update done on my PC and my FPS doesn't go above 10 right now. I reconstructed Windows from fresh thinking that would fix the issue, but it still continues...