Windows 10: Unplug hard drives to get Windows 10 upgrade to behave

Discus and support Unplug hard drives to get Windows 10 upgrade to behave in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If you are trying to upgrade to Windows 10, but keep getting the cyptic error code of 80070002, it could be time to open your box and unplug some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Borg 386, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Borg 386 Win User

Unplug hard drives to get Windows 10 upgrade to behave

Unplug hard drives to get Windows 10 upgrade to behave - TechRepublic

:)

Borg 386, Aug 9, 2015

2. Tried to install Windows 10, got error C1900101-20004

After many months with the same issue, I finally took the advice of several folks on this board. Specifically I unplugged my second internal hard drive (I believe this was the issue) and the DVD player. Once I did that the upgrade was fairly quick. My
    guess is that most people don't have two hard drives and that the upgrade software gets confused by it. Either that or a driver for the DVD player or hard drive wasn't available until Windows 10 was installed and could connect to download it. Either way, surprising
    that Microsoft still hasn't fixed that given my computer is less than 2.5 years old.

Anthony Philipp, Aug 9, 2015
  3. Mike_67 Win User
    External drive doesn't start at Win 10 boot

Hello,

I have a Western Digital external hard drive that has begun to act up with Windows 10. When I turn on my computer, all internal drives come up and everything behaves as expected. The external drive does nothing. No lights, doesn't spin up....nothing.
    If I unplug the power cord and plug it back in it spins up and a File Explorer window opens so I can get to the files on the drive. Everything works as expected, Device Manager says the drive is working normally, driver is up to date, etc. Next time I start
    my computer, I have to disconnect and reconnect the power again to get the drive to start.

I'm guessing a setting has changed but I don't know where to begin to look. A little help please.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike_67, Aug 9, 2015
Thema:

Unplug hard drives to get Windows 10 upgrade to behave

1. Unplug hard drives to get Windows 10 upgrade to behave - Similar Threads - Unplug hard drives

2. Disabling backup and unplugging my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disabling backup and unplugging my external hard drive: Hello, so recently I stopped my scheduled backup with Backup and Restore Windows 7 since November 2020 because my external hard drive is broken. When I want to turn off the backup option in Backup and Restore Windows 7, there's no button that stop and disable the backup. And...
  3. Sharing a hard drive for Windows 10 Upgrade?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing a hard drive for Windows 10 Upgrade?: Hello, Following problem, can I share my SSD? I only have one to transfer Windows to the new PC but it has all my data from the old PC on it. The NVme SSD is not compatible with the old PC. Is there any way I can share the SSD? Festplatte für Windows 10 Upgrade teilen?
  4. Upgraded hard drive for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgraded hard drive for Windows 10: Hello, I replaced an old HDD drive with SSD drive. I had a Windows 7 home edition on old hard disk. Now I am trying to re-use the same product key on Windows 10 installed fresh on new SSD. It is not allowing me to enter. Because it has different format and number of...
  5. Upgrading hard Drives

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading hard Drives: This is a custom built PC I want to buy a new system board & add a bigger SSD to my system an load my OS from it instead of the HDD. I have a digital licensefree upgrade in 2016 How does one go about this process? Am I able to reinstall my OS to a new drive and keep my...
  6. Internal hard drive not getting detected after upgrading the computer to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal hard drive not getting detected after upgrading the computer to Windows 10: Just "upgraded" and that term hardly fits to Win 10 from 7, and now my computer does not recognize an 8TB internally mounted hard drive. What's the fix? Tried MiniTool partition wizard free version, and it can't even find the drive. Thanks again for all you do to make life...
  7. New Hard Drive - Windows 10 Upgrade

New Hard Drive - Windows 10 Upgrade: I have a Lenovo G580 laptop that came with Windows 8 originally installed. After the Windows 10 release, I upgraded. The hard drive has been slowing down, so decided to replace with a SSHD. Before doing that, I did the Windows 10,1903 update, then I created a Windows...
  8. upgrade to windows 10 with multiple hard drives

upgrade to windows 10 with multiple hard drives: i know its been asked before, but most of the related posts on the subject are almost 2 years old - millenia in computing terms so im looking to upgrade to windows 10 from 7 - instigated by experiencing an oculus VR headset and touch controllers over the weekend and reading...
  9. Upgrading to Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive

Upgrading to Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive: A friend of mine currently has Windows 7 installed and wants to get a new hard drive and then upgrade to Windows 10. Whats the current way to do this? 59709
  10. Machine not behaving since upgrading to Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Support
    Machine not behaving since upgrading to Windows 10.: This is an interesting one, and I am not certain it is a Windows 10 issue, just looking for advice. A friend of mine has a machine that I upgraded to windows 10, you know, that whole - you only have a few weeks left to get a free upgrade bit. Seemed like good advice at the...