Windows 10: Unplug HDD when installing Windows 10 on my SSD?

Discus and support Unplug HDD when installing Windows 10 on my SSD? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey everyone! I just ordered my first custom PC (I'm not very handy, so I didn't want to take the risk of fucking it up when building it myself and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Truly_Valiant, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Unplug HDD when installing Windows 10 on my SSD?

Hey everyone!

I just ordered my first custom PC (I'm not very handy, so I didn't want to take the risk of fucking it up when building it myself and the store I ordered from isn't too expensive when it comes to assembling the PC). When it arrives, I will have to install Windows 10 myself, though.

I heard that some people suggest unplugging the HDD while installing Windows 10 on the SSD, but others say it's not necessary. Both the SSD and HDD are completely new, so no data can be wiped, and they're both 1 TB, so it's not that obvious which drive is which when selecting which drive to install Windows to.

What do you guys think? I'm just stressed out about unplugging the HDD because I'm not handy and I don't know enough about the PC to know what to unplug. Any tips?

submitted by /u/Truly_Valiant
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Truly_Valiant, Nov 21, 2020
  2. yafyofa Win User

do you still need to unplug your hdds when instaling windows 10 to your SSD ?

I have Samsung ssd 850 evo for OS

and onother 4 hdds for games and media etc

if I want to do a clean install of windows 10 to my ssd

do I need to unplug the hdds so windows will not put some files to these hdds

during the instlation of windows 10 ?

yafyofa, Nov 21, 2020
  3. [SOLVED] HDD not shown in BIOS after re-installing windows 10

Thanks for the quick reponse, but what you suggested is not really helpful for my situation.

I have fixed the problem myself:

I didn't unplug my SSD during the installation of windows on the hdd. This caused that there was no efi- and recovery partition on the hdd. The solution is to first turn off the laptop completely. After that unplug the ssd, only leave the media on which
    you want to install windows on. Install windows from a bootable device and follow the steps. A tip is to install windows on a unallocated space, windows will than create all the partitions on its own. After that everything is fine!

FonsHoutman, Nov 21, 2020
  4. Ztruker Win User

Unplug HDD when installing Windows 10 on my SSD?

Installing Windows 10 on HDD, then on SSD

Skip the HDD step. Go directly to SSD. Win 10 will install and activate on the SSD with no problems.

Ztruker, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

Unplug HDD when installing Windows 10 on my SSD?

1. Unplug HDD when installing Windows 10 on my SSD? - Similar Threads - Unplug HDD installing

2. Confused With SSD And HDD Installation of Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Confused With SSD And HDD Installation of Windows: I have a laptop with SSD and HDD in it. My drivers look like this[ATTACH] how Can i know weather windows is installed in SSD or HDD ? I am also using Intel Optane Memory which looks like this [ATTACH] As you can see i have one SSD and one HDD how can know where is...
  3. unplugged my SSD and HDD, installed windows onto a new SSD, unplugged new SSD and plugged...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    unplugged my SSD and HDD, installed windows onto a new SSD, unplugged new SSD and plugged...: submitted by /u/aaronjusmith [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jmrku0/unplugged_my_ssd_and_hdd_installed_windows_onto_a/
  4. Windows Doesn't Start When A HDD is Unplugged

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Doesn't Start When A HDD is Unplugged: Hi, i have Windows 10 Enterprise Installed on a ssd one of my HDD hard drives is kind of broken and makes my pc lag a lot so i tried unplugging it to fix the problem anfter i unplugged it my pc wouldn't start and i would get an error about booting i don't remember the...
  5. Installation of Windows 10 with SSD and HDD disks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installation of Windows 10 with SSD and HDD disks: I'm confused with all this partitions and i want to know how to delete all partitions if i have an ssd and hdd submitted by /u/thanos997 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i8wgs4/installation_of_windows_10_with_ssd_and_hdd_disks/
  6. HDD to SSD change, Want to install Windows 10 in SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD to SSD change, Want to install Windows 10 in SSD: Hello There, I have purchased a laptop Model: 81DE(Lenovo Ideapad330-15IKB U) with preinstalled genuine windows in it activated by digital lisense. Now I have installed SSD drive and want to install Windows 10 into the SSD drive, How to install windows 10 into that drive??...
  7. Install Windows on SSD with bootloader on HDD

Install Windows on SSD with bootloader on HDD: I have Dell Inspiron 7566 with built-in Toshiba HDD which had three partitions: C:/ for Windows 10 , U:/ for Ubuntu 18.04 and D:/ for other stuff. Ubuntu was installed in UEFI mode and on every boot computer loaded to GRUB and asked which system it should start. Recently I...
  8. Windows 10 reason for reading HDD when installed in SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 reason for reading HDD when installed in SSD: Hi everyone, I have Windows 10 installed on an SSD drive, everything is installed on the SSD except my games libraries wich are on a HDD. It has the fall update installed (and all updates available also installed). For some reason windows is constantly reading the...
  9. Installing Windows 10 on HDD, then on SSD

Installing Windows 10 on HDD, then on SSD: I have recently upgraded my PC from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit to Windows 10 (because I took advantage of the free upgrade offer last year), but have created an ISO file for a full install as I want to fully install Windows 10 by itself. My plan is, if the install works and...
  10. Windows installed on my HDD instead of my SSD?

Windows installed on my HDD instead of my SSD?: Just downloaded Windows 10 and noticed both my "windows" folder and "old windows" folder are located in my HDD. How can I transfer windows 10 to my SSD? Windows 8 was originally on my SSD, I don't understand why it installed on my HDD. I'm not really a tech wiz but...