Windows 10: Unplugged external speakers, plugged them back in, now they're missing from Playback...

Discus and support Unplugged external speakers, plugged them back in, now they're missing from Playback... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I bought a Laptop a few months ago and it's been working very well until today. I unplugged my speakers to move my laptop and when I plugged them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CoryFTL, Jan 30, 2019.

1. CoryFTL Win User

Unplugged external speakers, plugged them back in, now they're missing from Playback...

I bought a Laptop a few months ago and it's been working very well until today.

I unplugged my speakers to move my laptop and when I plugged them back in they just weren't working. Confused by this I plugged my speakers into both my phone and an old iPad and the speakers worked. I've searched everywhere and every 'solution' that comes up says to look in playback devices and ensure "Show Disabled Drivers" and "Show Disconnected Devices" is enabled and then to enable the speakers. The speakers don't appear from playback devices after doing this. Then I thought to try a pair of headphones and that didn't work either.

I've updated my sound driver, restarted the laptop and that didn't work. I then tried uninstalling the sound driver entirely and downloading the latest one I could find from Dell (the Laptop manufacturer), restarted the laptop and that didn't work either.

:)

CoryFTL, Jan 30, 2019
  2. Arul_D Win User

Computer Won't Auto Change the Playback Device When Headphones Plugged In/Out

Hi Michael,

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

Is the issue specific to only Headphones/ Does External Speaker play when plugged in?

I suggest you to try resetting the default device as shown in the steps given below and check if the issue persists.

• Plug in the Headphones in the machine.

• Go to Start and Control Panel.

• Select 'Hardware and Sound'.

• Click 'Change system sounds'.

• Click 'Playback' tab. (It should then show you your headphones in the list).

• Select your proper Headphone device from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.

• Now unplug your Headphones and select speakers from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.
    Hope it helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arul_D, Jan 30, 2019
  3. Disable beep sound when plugging/unplugging laptop charger

I would suggest you to follow the steps and check if it helps.

Disable the PC Speakers and check if it helps.

• Right click on Sound Icon in the task bar and go to Playback devices.
    • Select Speaker and click on properties.
    • Go to Levels tab, and mute (or you can reduce it) PC Speaker and check if it helps.

Vanan Iyer, Jan 30, 2019
  4. goozletc Win User

Unplugged external speakers, plugged them back in, now they're missing from Playback...

Sound stays in integrated speakers when plug speakers/headphones

In previous versions of Windows (Windows XP, Windows 7 etc) when I plug a device in the headphone port, like headphones or external speaker, the sound would automatically switch to the external device. And when I unplug the device the sound would automatically
    switch back to the integrated speaker. I did not have to go into the playback devices and st the default.

I keep reading Microsoft bragging that Windows 10 is the same as previous versions only better. This annoying problem is a step backwards.

Please fix it with a software update.

goozletc, Jan 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Unplugged external speakers, plugged them back in, now they're missing from Playback... - Similar Threads - Unplugged external speakers

2. Windows will not boot with d and/or e drive plugged in but if I unplug them from the...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows will not boot with d and/or e drive plugged in but if I unplug them from the...: Windows will not boot with d and/or e drive plugged in but if I unplug them from the motherboard then plug them back in when windows gets to the login screen then they will work fine. I am using win10. System is i7 4790 8GB ddr3 @ 1600mhz & a 6700xt on a gigabyte h81m board....
  3. External Speakers Not Detected As Separated Playback Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Speakers Not Detected As Separated Playback Device: I'm having a problem where 1 of my laptop's internal speakers is broken and making static noises. The only way I found to make the noise disappear is by muting the speakers through the sound settings.So I thought if I'm using a pair of external speakers, I can just mute the...
  4. External Speakers Not Detected As Separated Playback Device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Speakers Not Detected As Separated Playback Device: I'm having a problem where 1 of my laptop's internal speakers is broken and making static noises. The only way I found to make the noise disappear is by muting the speakers through the sound settings.So I thought if I'm using a pair of external speakers, I can just mute the...
  5. External Speakers Not Detected As Separated Playback Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Headphones wont work after unplugging them and plugging them back in.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Headphones wont work after unplugging them and plugging them back in.: I've had this problem for about a month now and I cant find a fix for it. When ever i plug them in after startup a message will appear asking what I plugged in but if I unplug them after that they just wont work. Most fixes I've seen says to go to the control...
  7. unplug and plug back in looses ethernet connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unplug and plug back in looses ethernet connection: I updated my second computer from Win 8.1 to 10 20H2 now, when I unplug my ethernet cable from modem for about 3-5 seconds, the internet won't come back in? Also, the mouse freezes up a lot. I updated the Lan drivers for windows 10 if I restart the computer, everything is...
  8. Unplugging my headphones and plugging them back in causes my computer to switch to it's...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unplugging my headphones and plugging them back in causes my computer to switch to it's...: I have a Dell g7 model 7588 and my headphones and jack worked fine until today. Whenever I restart my computer I can use my headphones fine but as soon as I unplug and re-plug them my computer switches to it's speakers even when the headphones are plugged in. In my audio...
  9. External Speakers not Showing up in Playback

External Speakers not Showing up in Playback: Hi, I have a Sony external speaker which works fine with my laptop (Windows 10) when I connect it using Bluetooth. However, I would like to use the speakers with my 3.5mm male to male jack lead, but when I plug the lead into the headphone socket on my laptop and then the...
  10. No sound & speakers missing in Playback Devices

No sound & speakers missing in Playback Devices: I have no sound on my new Windows 10 PC. Things I've tried: 1) Uninstalled and reinstalled sound drivers with multiple restarts 2) Checked power is connected 3) Checked speakers are connected via the green jack There's another fix I was trying in the Playback Devices...