Windows 10: Unplugging DisplayPort cables while monitor on and running. Damage?

Discus and support Unplugging DisplayPort cables while monitor on and running. Damage? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; So today I started my computer up and only 1 of my 3 monitors working. Nvidia control panel claimed my gpu could only support 1 monitor which was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Danielzxzx, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Unplugging DisplayPort cables while monitor on and running. Damage?

So today I started my computer up and only 1 of my 3 monitors working. Nvidia control panel claimed my gpu could only support 1 monitor which was false. What fixed it for me was I simply unplugged the 3 displayport cables for my 3 monitors and plugged them back in.

My question is though is how safe is it to unplug these cables while the monitors are on? Only the center one actually displayed something while the others had no signal but the center one was still pulled out. What kind of damage can it do?

:)

Danielzxzx, Aug 19, 2015

2. Windows 10 - Can't change resolution after waking from sleep

I also have the same problem, and the only way that I can change resolution is like this...unplugging the monitor cable and plugging it back in.

This stareter when I updated to windows 10.

NikolaSarić, Aug 19, 2015
  3. Scandalon Win User
    Windows 10 - Can't change resolution after waking from sleep

I am experiencing very similar behavior. I have a two monitor setup, one connected via DVI and the other via Displayport. I am running Windows 10 Pro x64, Nvidia driver 355.60, on a EVGA GTX 960. It hasn't happened in a while, but just this morning when
    my computer woke from sleep, the Displayport connected monitor (native 1920x1200) was running at 640x480 with no way to change it in the display settings. The DVI connected monitor (native 1920x1200) was showing the correct resolution.

I was able to resolve it by unplugging the Displayport cable and plugging it back in. No idea why this is happening. It never occurred when I was running Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with the same exact hardware setup.

Scandalon, Aug 19, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

Unplugging DisplayPort cables while monitor on and running. Damage?

Can't damage anything, at worst you'll have to restart computer for it to display again.

CountMike, Aug 19, 2015
Thema:

Unplugging DisplayPort cables while monitor on and running. Damage?

1. Unplugging DisplayPort cables while monitor on and running. Damage? - Similar Threads - Unplugging DisplayPort cables

2. DisplayPort cable broke my monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DisplayPort cable broke my monitor: So I bought a brand new display cable today, I plugged it in to my graphics card, it worked until I plugged in my second monitor cable, which is hdmi to the graphics card as well and then the screen had tore all the way to the top, including flickering on the main monitor, I...
  3. DisplayPort cable broke my monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DisplayPort cable broke my monitor: So I bought a brand new display cable today, I plugged it in to my graphics card, it worked until I plugged in my second monitor cable, which is hdmi to the graphics card as well and then the screen had tore all the way to the top, including flickering on the main monitor, I...
  4. DisplayPort cable broke my monitor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Dual 2560x1440 Monitors using DisplayPort Cable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual 2560x1440 Monitors using DisplayPort Cable: I have two identical HP EliteDisplay E273q 27-Inch LED Monitors. HP Probook Laptop HP usb-c Dock Adapter Intel UHD Graphics 350 My trouble is that when I use the dock which has two DisplayPort ports - one monitor shows up at 2560x1440 while the other gets stuck at...
  6. network cable unplugged

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    network cable unplugged: W10 18363.535 just updated computer #3 today and noticed afterwards while trying to connect to network, I get the "network cable unplugged" message. Did the usual re-plugging, changed the cable, same results. Finally worked over to the network adapter and after a while...
  7. Ethernet unplugged - > not connected/cable unplugged

Ethernet unplugged - > not connected/cable unplugged: Like the title says, it says ethernet unidentified and then unplugged all within 2 seconds and it keeps happening again, and again, I can fix this by going to adapter properties then qos packet scheduler - > configure - > advanced and change speed & duplex to 10mbps half or...
  8. Windows 10 External Monitor with DisplayPort Cable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 External Monitor with DisplayPort Cable: Hello!! I have a Lenovo M715q. I am trying to connect a ThinkVision E24 External monitor to the computer. It does not recognize it or detect it. I've updated all of the Drivers. The monitor only has a VGA and DisplayPort Cable Input. I have a DisplayPort to...
  9. Network cable unplugged

Network cable unplugged: Hopefully this is the right section to post this. I have just moved into a new home and i am having issues connecting to the internet through a wired connection. Wfi works but id rather use the wired connection since i have it . The house is wired for Cat 5e. I have an ASUS...
  10. Displayport versions and cables

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Displayport versions and cables: I have an Acer XB270HU (displayport only) display that I was driving happily with a pair of 780s in SLI, but now I've built a new rig based on a Gigibyte GA-Z270X Gaming 5. I'm so far only using motherboard video, but while I can put HDMI out to a different monitor, I can't...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can you unplug displayport while the monitor is on

2. unplug displayport while monitor on

3. is it safe to unplug displayport monitor while computer is running?

4. can unpluggin a displayport while on damage a monitor