Windows 10: Unplugging my headphones and plugging them back in causes my computer to switch to it's...

Discus and support Unplugging my headphones and plugging them back in causes my computer to switch to it's... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a Dell g7 model 7588 and my headphones and jack worked fine until today. Whenever I restart my computer I can use my headphones fine but as soon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/The_Shallomander, May 8, 2020.

1. Unplugging my headphones and plugging them back in causes my computer to switch to it's...

I have a Dell g7 model 7588 and my headphones and jack worked fine until today. Whenever I restart my computer I can use my headphones fine but as soon as I unplug and re-plug them my computer switches to it's speakers even when the headphones are plugged in. In my audio control panel the only input and output option is Speakers/Headphones (Realtek(R) Audio.) I tried updating and reinstalling the drivers and nothing changed. Please help!

submitted by /u/The_Shallomander
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/The_Shallomander, May 8, 2020
  2. Zack_L-P Win User

Extremely bizarre issue where headphones don't work after being unplugged and plugged back in

I was going through your suggestions, until I got to this part. When I got to step 16 on that list (create a new admin user account and see if the problem persists in that account), I tried that suggestion and created a test account. At first, when I plugged
    in my headphones they weren't working (same as my original problem). But then when I unplugged them a Windows notification message popped up in the bottom right, saying something along the lines of "an audio device was disconnected". I plugged my headphones
    back in and got the same kind of windows popup asking what type of device I just plugged in, and I selected the headphone option. After that, the headphones worked fine even when unplugged and plugged back in. Unfortunately, they are only working fine in that
    alternate user account, and not in my normal one.

So I guess that means that the problem lies somewhere in my account settings, but how on earth do I fix it?

Zack_L-P, May 8, 2020
  3. BigBill Win User
    Computer does not automatically switch to speakers when headphones unplugged

As the heading says, the computer does not automatically switch between the headphones and speakers when I plug the headphones in.

I can get it to switch, but I have to open the sound properties and set the headphones to the default device. Same thing when I unplug the headphones - I have to set the speakers to default.

This used to work just fine in Windows 7. I now have a fresh install on Windows 10 and it has been nothing but trouble.

Both speakers and headphone are hard wired. I have no other sound device on this computer. Speakers are plugged into the motherboard jack on the back, headphones on the jack on the front of the computer.

BigBill, May 8, 2020
  4. Arul_D Win User

Unplugging my headphones and plugging them back in causes my computer to switch to it's...

Computer Won't Auto Change the Playback Device When Headphones Plugged In/Out

Hi Michael,

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

Is the issue specific to only Headphones/ Does External Speaker play when plugged in?

I suggest you to try resetting the default device as shown in the steps given below and check if the issue persists.

• Plug in the Headphones in the machine.

• Go to Start and Control Panel.

• Select 'Hardware and Sound'.

• Click 'Change system sounds'.

• Click 'Playback' tab. (It should then show you your headphones in the list).

• Select your proper Headphone device from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.

• Now unplug your Headphones and select speakers from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.
    Hope it helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arul_D, May 8, 2020
Thema:

Unplugging my headphones and plugging them back in causes my computer to switch to it's...

1. Unplugging my headphones and plugging them back in causes my computer to switch to it's... - Similar Threads - Unplugging headphones plugging

2. My Headphones are plugged in, but aren't detected by the computer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Headphones are plugged in, but aren't detected by the computer.: I use a boot camp'd IMac and when I switched to windows for the first time, the computer detected the headphones easily, but after a few weeks, the computer just stopped detecting them, I know fully well that the headphones do in fact work and are plugged into the correct...
  3. My Headphones are plugged in, but aren't detected by the computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Headphones are plugged in, but aren't detected by the computer.: I use a boot camp'd IMac and when I switched to windows for the first time, the computer detected the headphones easily, but after a few weeks, the computer just stopped detecting them, I know fully well that the headphones do in fact work and are plugged into the correct...
  4. My Headphones are plugged in, but aren't detected by the computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cant switch between speakers and headphones without unplugging the headphones

Cant switch between speakers and headphones without unplugging the headphones: I cant find my speakers on the output devices, although when i plug out my headphones, they are automatically connected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-switch-between-speakers-and-headphones/e25db9b7-8303-42db-af28-0b2907bbafcc
  6. Headphones wont work after unplugging them and plugging them back in.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Headphones wont work after unplugging them and plugging them back in.: I've had this problem for about a month now and I cant find a fix for it. When ever i plug them in after startup a message will appear asking what I plugged in but if I unplug them after that they just wont work. Most fixes I've seen says to go to the control...
  7. Headphones only work when I start my computer with them plugged in, if I unplug them and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Headphones only work when I start my computer with them plugged in, if I unplug them and...: I found a few solutions online, and none of them worked. submitted by /u/vanhalen325 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kqz9eu/headphones_only_work_when_i_start_my_computer/
  8. Headphones only work after I restart my computer with them plugged in

Headphones only work after I restart my computer with them plugged in: I have an Acer laptop running windows 10 home with the Realtek 6.0.8904.1 driver. The computer also has 2 other main sound drivers: Intel display audio and NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device Wave Extensible WDB. I also have 2 other sounds drivers but those are both for my JBL 120TWS...
  9. My earphones only work if I start my computer with them plugged in, if I unplug they don't...

My earphones only work if I start my computer with them plugged in, if I unplug they don't...: I tested my earphones on other devices and even tried different earphones on my Dell laptop and the issue is the same. So it isn't the earphones being damaged or anything like that. The jack works because they function properly if I startup my laptop with them plugged in. But...
  10. Laptop not switching to headphones when I plug them in

Laptop not switching to headphones when I plug them in: Recently I've had an issue with my laptop where if I plug in headphones (ANY headphones) it will continue to play sound through my laptop's speakers. If I reinstall my audio driver with my headphones plugged in, however, the sound will play through my headphones until they...