Windows 10: Unplugging Surface Pro slows computer

Discus and support Unplugging Surface Pro slows computer in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; High Performance mode is activated and doesn't seem to change when unplugged, yet performance drops. Changing power settings doesn't seem to do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by couldusesomehelp, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Unplugging Surface Pro slows computer

High Performance mode is activated and doesn't seem to change when unplugged, yet performance drops. Changing power settings doesn't seem to do anything. What other settings can I change to make the laptop to stop limiting things when unplugged? I don't care about battery drain, I care about performance. Need help as being unplugged is a reason why a laptop is convenient.

Surface Pro 6 - 512GB / Intel Core i7 / 16GB RAM

:)

couldusesomehelp, Apr 17, 2019
  2. Roohi_Taj Win User

Surface Pro 3

Hi ChrisWaters3,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below information:

1. Does the battery drain out, if the tablet is not connected to peripherals?

2. Which version of Windows you are using? (To check, type: winver in start menu and hit enter.)

I understand how something like this can try your patience. This issue is an indication of faulty drivers or incompatible driver.
    However, I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

Method 1: Check the drivers.

Step1: Battery driver

1. Press Windows andR
      key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    3. Click on view on top > Select Show hidden devices.
    4. Expand the Batteries option from the list.
    5. Select the ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery> right click on the driver and click on
      Properties.
    6. Click on Driver tab > check if you have the option to
      Roll Back Driver.
    7. If yes, Roll back the driver or uninstall it and restart the computer.
    Uninstalling the driver will be automatically installed after the system is restarted. Check if the issue is fixed.

Step 2: Keyboard driver.

1. In the Device manager, go to ‘Other devices’, you will find
      Unknown devices.
    2. Double tap on the unknown device > click on
      Driver tab> click on update driver.
    3. Select browse my computer for driver software> Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers
    4. Select keyboard, then click ‘Next.
    5. Select HID Keyboard device and click finish.

Method 2: Run the toolkit.

Note: If your Surface is managed by your work or school, check with your organization's IT department before running the tool.

I would suggest you to run the toolkit provided by Microsoft on
    Fix common Surface
    problems using the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit

If the above steps, doesn’t fix the issue. I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the article on
    Surface Pro 3 Battery
    FAQ for the Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware update

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Apr 17, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Surface Tools for IT Update for Surface Pro and Surface Laptop

Source: Surface Tools for IT Update for Surface Pro and Surface Laptop Surface

Brink, Apr 17, 2019
  4. SirStiv Win User

Unplugging Surface Pro slows computer

Surface Pro 4 WiFi Slow Connectivity

Hello there,

After rattling my brains over what it may be I found my own solution.

I did the registry changes suggested on the internet - no fix

I did the driver rollback/uninstall/reinstall - no fix

I changed the wifi driver band from auto 2.4ghz/5ghz - no fix

What fixed it for me was going to my router settings and changing it from Long Preamble to short pre amble.

Went from 1mbps to 30mbps (my limit from where i am from)

Hope this helps. My router is a netgear.

-Steve

keyword search help: Surface Pro 4 slow internet , Surface Pro 4 slow wifi , Surface Pro Slow wifi

SirStiv, Apr 17, 2019
Thema:

Unplugging Surface Pro slows computer

1. Unplugging Surface Pro slows computer - Similar Threads - Unplugging Surface Pro

2. unplug computer in hibernate???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unplug computer in hibernate???: Are there any risks to any part of the computer when the power is unplugged in hibernation frequently each day?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unplug-computer-in-hibernate/579a1c12-df15-49de-af6e-2d6b1b02132b
  3. unplug computer in hibernate???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unplug computer in hibernate???: Are there any risks to any part of the computer when the power is unplugged in hibernation frequently each day?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unplug-computer-in-hibernate/579a1c12-df15-49de-af6e-2d6b1b02132b
  4. Surface pro 7 Speaker problem and slow booting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface pro 7 Speaker problem and slow booting: Hey guys, Continuing from my last post, this event was totally unplanned. Now that I have installed the correct device drivers but it doesn't seem to be working, now my Surface Pro 7 boots so SLOWLY. Plus, I've got the problem of my speakers. They now make a "popping"...
  5. Slow WIFI on Surface Pro 5th Gen

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow WIFI on Surface Pro 5th Gen: My wifi is extremely slow compared to my cell phone. Phone gets 400 mbps with speedtest.net, Surface Pro gets less than 100 mbps. I went through all the Microsoft recommendation with no change. I went looking for a new driver from Marvell and found none. My current...
  6. Help - surface pro 4 internet slow

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help - surface pro 4 internet slow: Hi, I have a Microsoft surface pro 4 machine. Last week I installed Panda Dome antivirus and Malwarebytes because I had some viruses like mail.Ru etc that kept coming back. I wanted to trial the product to possibly purchase it. So I activated the free VPN that comes along...
  7. Wi-Fi Extremely Slow When Computer is Unplugged

Wi-Fi Extremely Slow When Computer is Unplugged: Hello everyone, I have a very interesting and weird issue. When my pc is plugged in, I get excellent download speeds and a great connection. However, when I unplug the computer, I can't even load web pages. The connection still says it is very good. Here's my system info: OS...
  8. Surface Book 2 very slow if after charger is unplugged.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Book 2 very slow if after charger is unplugged.: Hello, This is a problem that has been bugging me for about two weeks. This problem started after Zoom crashed on my computer two weeks ago. Now whenever I unplug my laptop from my charger, the CPU speed is stuck at .38GHz for about 5 - 15 mins before it gets back to...
  9. Slow wifi on Surface Pro 6

Slow wifi on Surface Pro 6: Hi My Wifi is slow on my new Surface Pro 6. I get about 50Mbps (while on my phone I get 350 connected to the same wifi). I have read the disabling the bluetooth helps, and indeed it helps (still doesn't get the same speed as my mobile phone but reaches about 200). But I am...
  10. Surface Pro 5 (2017) Slow WiFi

Surface Pro 5 (2017) Slow WiFi: Hi. My surface pro 2017 model has started performing poorly on latest windows 10 build. On same wifi network I get over 200mbs via my phone compared to only 25mbs on the surface pro. Anyone else getting same?...