Windows 10: Unpredictable BSODs and system instability possibly due to memory or motherboard

Discus and support Unpredictable BSODs and system instability possibly due to memory or motherboard in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I've been having some inconsistent problems with my PC. Since I live in university dorms and haven't gone around to bringing my PC with me, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GJankauskas, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Unpredictable BSODs and system instability possibly due to memory or motherboard

Hello,

I've been having some inconsistent problems with my PC. Since I live in university dorms and haven't gone around to bringing my PC with me, I mostly just use it on the weekends. I've built this system last year and the main weakpoints are the cheap 16GB 2400MHz memory modules and a relatively cheap B350 mITX motherboard. The motherboard in paticular had problems before related to the memory slots, but after trying to either get it replaced or repaired, they found no obvious problems with it. Funny enough, after they supposedly did nothing to it, the PC worked fine for the better part of the year, until it started having unpredictable but plentiful BSODs with varying stop codes each time. However most of those codes we're related to memory.

I've tried both memtest x86 and the Windows 10 memory diagnostic tool, both show no errors. So I suspect the motherboard more than the RAM. But I'd like to figure out if the minidumps can tell me more before I look to mess around with the RAM slots or think about replacing the motherboard.

I've had a modest overclock on both the CPU and GPU before these problems, but now I'm running stock clocks everywhere.

Here are two minidumps from two BSODs in quick succession: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoOBWADyktCshfNa-XBbejAPpEwEKw

Thanks.

:)

GJankauskas, Dec 14, 2018

2. System Reserved Memory issue

Hi Rowan,

The reduction in available system memory depends on the configuration of the following:

• The devices that are installed in the computer and the memory that is reserved by those devices
    • The ability of the motherboard to handle memory
    • The system BIOS version and settings
    • The version of Windows 10 that is installed
    • Other system settings

As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest that you check your system for memory problems.

Here's how:

• Type mdsched.exe in the search bar and select the best match.
    • When prompted by the User Account Control, enter an admin user name and password, and click
      Yes.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run it.

Let us know how it goes.

Aileen Alf, Dec 14, 2018
  3. Choice of memory and motherboard... a bit stuck...

No one who got some suggestions on this one, huh?

I've found out that the Asus M3A78-T needs to be flashed, so then that motherboard is excluded from my list. Which motherboard and memory should I then go for? Any suggestions?

minstreless, Dec 14, 2018
  4. Unpredictable BSODs and system instability possibly due to memory or motherboard

Persistent BSOD ntoskrnl.exe

Ok understood CW. Could it be possible that even though the memory used is in the QVL list for the motherboard that it would still cause BSODs? I don't really feel like futzing with Memtest so would next steps be updating to latest BIOS, installing all RAM and then retesting?

RyanTScott, Dec 14, 2018
Thema:

Unpredictable BSODs and system instability possibly due to memory or motherboard

1. Unpredictable BSODs and system instability possibly due to memory or motherboard - Similar Threads - Unpredictable BSODs system

2. BSOD and general instability Windows 10 - possible memory issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD and general instability Windows 10 - possible memory issue?: So I'm having something similar to this thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-bsod/9fbc0959-be75-4541-b1c8-0ba69be3073c But I do not have the technical chops to make proper sense of the dump logs, which I've put here:...
  3. BSOD and general instability Windows 10 - possible memory issue?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD and general instability Windows 10 - possible memory issue?: So I'm having something similar to this thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-bsod/9fbc0959-be75-4541-b1c8-0ba69be3073c But I do not have the technical chops to make proper sense of the dump logs, which I've put here:...
  4. BSOD and general instability Windows 10 - possible memory issue?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows BSOD Crashing Unpredictably

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows BSOD Crashing Unpredictably: Good dayMy PC is crashing unpredictably and increasing in frequency over the past few months. It happens more often when I play Dota 2 Legion TD Reborn arcade games.It crashes seldomly on low loads or idle but it still does, unpredictably.I get WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR as the...
  6. Windows BSOD Crashing Unpredictably

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows BSOD Crashing Unpredictably: Good dayMy PC is crashing unpredictably and increasing in frequency over the past few months. It happens more often when I play Dota 2 Legion TD Reborn arcade games.It crashes seldomly on low loads or idle but it still does, unpredictably.I get WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR as the...
  7. BSODS possibly related to faulty memory? SYSTEM MEMORY MANAGEMENT ERROR

BSODS possibly related to faulty memory? SYSTEM MEMORY MANAGEMENT ERROR: Hi, I once again ask the lovely members here for some guidance.My PC has been behaving strangely these past few months. Software silently crashing without error messages, chrome tabs here and there dying, things like that. The perhaps oddest behaviour is when some...
  8. Instability Due to Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Instability Due to Updates: Hi Every time there is a Windows 10 Update I experience some form of instability By the time it takes to complete surely they are not updates but re installs some times it takes as long as 60 min I think the problem is trying to use the same program for Phones and &...
  9. Memory Integrity is not starting due to a possible incompatibility

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Memory Integrity is not starting due to a possible incompatibility: Hi all, I have a new laptop HP Probook 450 G6 with Win10 1903, all stock without any further software accept HP stuff. It is not possible to start the memory integrity feature. I tried it with the ui switch under core isolation, but got the message that "it is not possible...
  10. BSOD due to memory management

BSOD due to memory management: Hello, For a couple days now i seem to be running into a bsod whenever i play overwatch. It seems like it only does it when i play the competitive game modes which has a higher package send/recieve amount but nothing else triggers this. I have tried updating my drivers, i...