Windows 10: unreadable .doc files - how to open them correctly, offline, for free?

Discus and support unreadable .doc files - how to open them correctly, offline, for free? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I tried to view some documents in Wordpad, and they couldn't be displayed properly. since .doc is a Word format, I tried Word, but to my horror I see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by multitaskbars, Jan 19, 2021.

1. unreadable .doc files - how to open them correctly, offline, for free?

I tried to view some documents in Wordpad, and they couldn't be displayed properly.
    since .doc is a Word format, I tried Word, but to my horror I see that I have to upload every file I want to use to OneDrive in order to be allowed to look at it myself ... what fresh hell is this? I knew surveillance capitalism was getting out of hand, but ****ing yikes!! anyway, I clicked yes and still it wouldn't respond and actually display my file anywhere. -- in any case this is not a solution

on Win ME I was able to write and save .doc files freely and easily in Wordpad.
    on Win 7 I was able to open old Wordpad .docs in a 'viewer'(-only) program and copy-paste content into a new Wordpad RTF to save them in a current format, converting files on an as-needed basis.
    on Win 10 I can't even merely open them correctly anymore.
    (what I'd consider a solution is restoring the function I had on Windows ME and Windows 7: 1. correct formatting. 2. offline access to my files. 3. free access to my files)

- Wordpad can, after a fashion, display the bulk of the raw text, but I lose some of the beginning and all of the formatting.

- DOC Viewer Free from the Microsoft store just does the loading symbol then crashes when it tries to open the file

- tenforums threads I've found on this issue only offer solutions for .DOCX format, or provide defunct links to old compatibility software that may or may not have been useful.

a third-party offline DOC to RTF converter would do ...if there's one that works!

- MultiDoc Converter batch converts and says 'ok' to every file, but only RTF and TXT files are converted, .doc files are created as a set of identically sized blank documents.

- Doxillion Document Converter fails: "not a valid .doc file"

I don't see where I can get any properties details that says which kind of .doc file it is, what it was compatible with.

:)

multitaskbars, Jan 19, 2021
  2. A8dude Win User

Word docs unreadable

Had been working on Word earlier. Came back to open up a document and couldn't do so. Then found out that every Word doc I clicked on that there was a similar problem.

I get the following message:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\WINWORD.EXE

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

A8dude, Jan 19, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Mark PDFs, images, and Office files as offline in Google Drive Beta

Source: https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com...nary-beta.html

Brink, Jan 19, 2021
  4. unreadable .doc files - how to open them correctly, offline, for free?

How can I get Office 2019 (NOT 365) to open files in offline folders when not connected to the Internet?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Is your computer connected to any Domain Network?

I suggest you to follow the below steps to remove the offline files and clearing the cache and check if you are able to access the files if not connected to the internet.

Before trying the below steps, I suggest you to take a backup of all the files in the Offline Folder.

• Open Sync Center > Click on Manage Offline Files on the left and select
      Disable Offline Files > Restart the computer once.
    • Then, click on the Start Menu > Search for
      Command Prompt > Right-click on Command Prompt > Click on
      Run As Administrator.
    • Once the Command Prompt is up and running, type the following commands one by one and hit
      Enter.

cd c:\Windows

takeown /f csc /r /a /d y > NUL

icacls csc /grant Administratorsunreadable .doc files - how to open them correctly, offline, for free? :(F) /t /l /q

• Then, delete the folders under C:\Windows\CSC >
      Restart the computer once > Enable Offline Files again and check if you are able to access the files.

For reference, you may also refer Can't open
    files offline when you use Offline Files and Windows Information Protection

If your computer is connected to a Domain Network and If you are still facing the same issue after trying the above troubleshooting steps, then I suggest you to post your query in
    IT Pro TechNet forums, where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge
    on Offline Files.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jan 19, 2021
Thema:

unreadable .doc files - how to open them correctly, offline, for free?

1. unreadable .doc files - how to open them correctly, offline, for free? - Similar Threads - unreadable doc files

2. word offline free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    word offline free: I purchased office home and student 2019 in 2019 and notice that although the licenses for perpetuity support only lasts mainstream till 2013 and total support for free when this expiration date arrives in 2025. What is my best option to get word offline free or he closest...
  3. word offline free

in Windows 10 Gaming
    word offline free: I purchased office home and student 2019 in 2019 and notice that although the licenses for perpetuity support only lasts mainstream till 2013 and total support for free when this expiration date arrives in 2025. What is my best option to get word offline free or he closest...
  4. Files not opening correctly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files not opening correctly: I accidentally set my .txt files to open with notepad, now I can't get it to change. I've tried resetting my default app's, when i click Open With -> It only shows Notepad, Word, Paint, and some others, and I don't know how to reset it to the default....
  5. Offline Files not working correctly

Offline Files not working correctly: I have a Windows 10 machine at home which I use as my file server since it's on most of the time. Other Windows 10 client machines on my home network have their user folders such as Documents, Music etc... pointed to this file server. In trying to make the 'Documents' folder...
  6. How to open DOC/X files in older version of Word

How to open DOC/X files in older version of Word: Hello For the past few years, my Windows opened a DOC/X file in Word 2003 instead of e.g. Word 2016 (when I double-clicked a DOC/X file). Every 2-3 weeks Windows would change the file association of DOC/X files to Word 2016, but when I run Word 2003 manually (or use Detect...
  7. unreadable files

unreadable files: after a accidentle format of my second internal drive.the recuverd files i get from :recuva:,,easeus and undelete the files are all unreadable or only got the letter y like this yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy,,can someone help me please its driving me mad...
  8. How can i stop pdf files being opened with word which makes them unreadable?? thank you

How can i stop pdf files being opened with word which makes them unreadable?? thank you: When I open pdf files, it automatically opens word and they are converted. it makes the document unreadable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-stop-pdf-files-being-opened-with-word/95476748-859f-4038-9386-3945a7e677a7"
  9. how to open this doc as word doc?

how to open this doc as word doc?: This document was originally opened as a notepad document, so it opens that way always. I would like to change it to a Word document. Is that possible?...
  10. Files Unreadable

Files Unreadable: Hello all, I was using 32 gb usb for my backups on my old computer that I no longer have. When I purchased a new computer and restored the backups to it, I discovered that 2/3 of my music files were not in ITunes and most of the documents were in an unreadable form ( more...