Windows 10: Unrecognised folders under 'user' how to safely delete?

Discus and support Unrecognised folders under 'user' how to safely delete? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello My account is 'Lenovo' all the others i never use, they're all empty. I noticed the folders 'default.migrated' and 'UpdatusUser', i've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by grimmrace, Aug 30, 2015.

1. grimmrace Win User

Unrecognised folders under 'user' how to safely delete?

Hello

My account is 'Lenovo' all the others i never use, they're all empty.

I noticed the folders 'default.migrated' and 'UpdatusUser', i've never seen them before how do i remove them?

I'd also like to remove public and the hidden 'default' folder if it's possible?

Unrecognised folders under 'user' how to safely delete? [​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

Note: Is it normal for it to say 'windows 8' when i have 10 installed?

:)

grimmrace, Aug 30, 2015

2. Is it safe to delete the Pictures folder under my User acct?

Is it safe to delete the Pictures folder under my User account?

I copied my Pictures folder from my C:\ drive to an internal SATA drive E:\.

I want to delete the Pictures folder under my User account C:\Users\carol\Pictures , but I don't know if this is safe and advisable to do under Windows 10. I don't want to create problems for myself.

Or ... should I simply delete the contents of the Picture folder and leave the folder?

francealot, Aug 30, 2015
  3. Todd_S_88 Win User
    Is it safe to delete the Pictures folder under my User acct?

I would recommend to do your second option of deleting the contents in the folder, but leave the folder itself. Since it is a default folder in your profile you could run into issues if the folder is deleted if applications try to do something assuming
    that it is still there (which worst case scenario you could just remake the folder, but helps avoid a headache).

Todd_S_88, Aug 30, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

I've had the folder Default.migrated a few times after an upgrade, I have always removed it without any issues. The folder UpdatusUser is unknown to me, check first what it contains before removing it.

The functionality of Windows requires user folders Default (hidden by default) and Public. You should not remove these folders. Default contains files for the default user profile, the base profile used when creating new user accounts, and the Public is to store files meant to be available for all users on your PC. These folders are system folders and should not be removed even if the PC has only one account and you would never create any additional accounts.

Your system drive is called Windows8_OS because you or another user of that computer has named it so. You can right click the C: drive and rename it as you wish.

5. Edwin New Member
    'UpdatusUser' is an account folder that Nvidia Update Service creates for various reasons.
    You would need to uninstall the service to remove the folder.
    Disk Cleanup would most likely take care of it.

Edwin, Aug 30, 2015
  6. grimmrace Win User
    Thank you guys very much, I managed to remove the updatusfolder by uninstalling an Nvidia update program which wasn't needed, seemed to have removed that folder by default too.

With regards to default.migrated I simply right clicked and deleted it (assuming that was ok?).

I won't touch he hidden default folder thanks to your explanation as to what it does, however can I really not delete public ? I will never have a 2nd account or share this laptop ever, it's for my own personal use (sorry for the OCD behaviour).

grimmrace, Aug 30, 2015
  7. Kari Win User
    If the Public folder's existence really bothers you why don't you just hide it?

8. Unrecognised folders under 'user' how to safely delete?

Most people that don't like to see certain folders would rather have it visible if there. The issue is getting rid of it so it's not visble and not even there.

orlbuckeye, Aug 30, 2015
  9. Kari Win User
    My recommendation to hide the Public user folder is solely based on the fact that it is a system folder. However possible it is to remove it, I personally would rather hide and forget it than remove it. In all honesty I cannot see how the existence of this folder would be a problem.

10. That's if you know what it is. Lots of people hated Metro eventhough Windows 8.1 allowed you hide it. They still complained in these forums.

orlbuckeye, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unrecognised folders under 'user' how to safely delete? - Similar Threads - Unrecognised folders under

2. Deletion of Default folder under Users folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deletion of Default folder under Users folder: I'm using windows 11 and accidentally deleted a Default folder under Users, no system backup was performed prior to these. The Default folder is permanently deleted any chance to restore it back. Will it effect already created users??Any suggestion would be more then helpful...
  3. Deletion of Default folder under Users folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deletion of Default folder under Users folder: I'm using windows 11 and accidentally deleted a Default folder under Users, no system backup was performed prior to these. The Default folder is permanently deleted any chance to restore it back. Will it effect already created users??Any suggestion would be more then helpful...
  4. Is it Safe to Delete a User from the Users Folder? + More Issues.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it Safe to Delete a User from the Users Folder? + More Issues.: Hello, I'm encountering a storage issue on my computer. There are 2 additional user folders that I need to remove. The reason for this is that these folders are consuming a significant amount of space. These users had been running Virtual Machines and have amassed a massive...
  5. Is it Safe to Delete a User from the Users Folder? + More Issues.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it Safe to Delete a User from the Users Folder? + More Issues.: Hello, I'm encountering a storage issue on my computer. There are 2 additional user folders that I need to remove. The reason for this is that these folders are consuming a significant amount of space. These users had been running Virtual Machines and have amassed a massive...
  6. Is it Safe to Delete a User from the Users Folder? + More Issues.

7. How to remove a user folder under C:\Users\. ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove a user folder under C:\Users\. ?: First show the picture of the folders under "C:\Users\.":My question is, "How can I delete the file named TEMP and TEMP.MSI?"A. The current profile situation:I have only 2 user-account in the computer now, which is "Default" and "HsuChaChuen".This information is checked in...
  8. How to remove a user folder under C:\Users\. ?

How to remove a user folder under C:\Users\. ?: First show the picture of the folders under "C:\Users\.":My question is, "How can I delete the file named TEMP and TEMP.MSI?"A. The current profile situation:I have only 2 user-account in the computer now, which is "Default" and "HsuChaChuen".This information is checked in...
  9. Is it safe to delete this folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to delete this folder?: I have a Google folder in my C:\Users\[myname]\AppData\Local folder. I briefly had Chrome installed when I first got my current laptop, but then uninstalled it and I'm not sure if this folder is just a leftover product of that. Is it at all safe to delete to delete this...
  10. Which folders under AppData are safe/OK to delete?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Which folders under AppData are safe/OK to delete?: Hi. This questions really pertains to this one right here -> “Microsoft Community” and here -> “Microsoft community forum”. Now I am just wondering which one of the four folders under AppData are safe to delete? Screenshot is below. Please help. [ATTACH]...