Windows 10: Unrecognised password

Discus and support Unrecognised password in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My Acer laptop does not recognise the password I have used for the last two years to open the computer. Luckily I had a pin number which was... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by SJM2, Feb 27, 2018.

1. SJM2 Win User

Unrecognised password

My Acer laptop does not recognise the password I have used for the last two years to open the computer. Luckily I had a pin number which was recognised. I would like to have a password too (in case the pin is suddenly not recognised either) but can't find out how to register a new password since Windows says I don't know the old one. Since I am the only one to use the laptop and it is in a secure location, a password is really not necessary and it is very frustrating to be locked out of my own computer.

:)

2. unrecognised password to access computer

Hello Mark, thanks for the speedy answer. I really thought I'd cracked it, followed your steps right down to typing in new password and hint ... then a message came up saying "an error occurred while wizard was attempting to ... etc" - so disappointing!
    I tried three times in case it was just a glitch but no luck. When I looked at the TravelDrive on MyComputer, it said it contains "userkey.psw" ... but I couldn't open it in any way. Any way to get round this? Susan

SusanMartineauSU, Feb 27, 2018
  3. windows 10 password unrecognised

Hi Janzell,

Thank you for the reply.

Are you using the same account as loptop or a different account on the desktop?

As I have mentioned above you need to go to laptop, open a browser and then try to log in. Check if you are able to log into the Microsoft account.

Microsoft account FAQ:

Get The Answers You Need From The Microsoft Support Page

If it is a password issue, then you need to reset the password.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Feb 27, 2018
  4. debsawyer Win User

Unrecognised password

Did you set up a Microsoft account? If you did, use the password from the Microsoft account.

debsawyer, Feb 27, 2018
  5. Ben Myers Win User
    Make sure the caps lock is off.

Ben

Ben Myers, Feb 27, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @SJM2

One other thing to check is the keyboard language. If you have multiple input languages available (I use ENG UK and ENG US, for example) you'll see (and be able to change) the input language near the bottom right of the sign-in screen.

It you use the " £ $ or @ characters in the password, the US/UK keyboards would type something other that what is shown on the key if the wrong input language was selected.

You can click on the 'eye' icon at the end of the password box to see the password in plain text and check you have typed it as you intended.

7. mrgeek Win User

After two tears, you must be positive. Use Bree's idea of 'view' password icon so you can verify what you type in.

Unrecognised password [​IMG]

mrgeek, Feb 27, 2018
  8. Try3 Win User

Unrecognised password

Before you try changing anything, use the existing account to create an additional password-protected Admin-level local account. That will ensure that you can get back into the computer with access to all its existing files if you do end up with any problems with your existing user account.

There's a useful tutorial at Account - Add in Windows 10

Creating a spare password-protected Admin-level local account is always a useful precaution to take even in the absence of any problems or confusion about existing accounts.

Do write the new account's password down somewhere secure - there is no need to consider the facility that local accounts have to create a 'Password reset disk' because that is just a glorified alternative to a piece of paper.

Denis

9. SJM2 Win User
    Hi there Denis, Many thanks for the suggestion for creating alternative account - I followed the vg tutorial and it worked like a dream. What a great idea. The only minor problem is that the alternative me can't open my Picasa , it just says Can't find any photos. Yes I know Picasa is out of date but haven't found anything so simple and good to use. Anyway, it's not that important, the great thing is that I'm assured access to the laptop. Regards, Susan

SJM2, Mar 2, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    @sjm, the 'new you' has a new user folder of it's own to use. The photos and all your other documents and files are in the 'old you's user folder. Open File Explorer and look for C:\Users\<youroldname>. Inside there you'll find the Documents, Pictures, Music etc. folders belonging to the old you. Just copy all the files you want over to the same folders in your new user folder.

You did follow Denis' suggestion in full? You did make the new you an administrator? You'll need to be in order to go into another user's folders.

Thema:

Unrecognised password

1. Unrecognised password - Similar Threads - Unrecognised password

2. Receiver Dongle for Microsoft Keyboard and mouse is coming up unrecognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Receiver Dongle for Microsoft Keyboard and mouse is coming up unrecognised: Ive had the keyboard/mouse for over a year and not a problem, past 2 weeks it kept disconnecting saying unrecognized USB, its stopped working all together now. i dont want to buy and new mouse/keyboard how do i repair the USB dongle?...
  3. Receiver Dongle for Microsoft Keyboard and mouse is coming up unrecognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Receiver Dongle for Microsoft Keyboard and mouse is coming up unrecognised: Ive had the keyboard/mouse for over a year and not a problem, past 2 weeks it kept disconnecting saying unrecognized USB, its stopped working all together now. i dont want to buy and new mouse/keyboard how do i repair the USB dongle?...
  4. Unrecognised charge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unrecognised charge: I have just found out there a recurrent charge to my credit card for HK$78 every month. The last charges detailsMSFT *<E0500QXZ0B>PURCHASE ID: Z62LBMW7WWZQ 9999999999Can you please check and terminate it.Please contact me at *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  5. Unrecognised charge

Unrecognised charge: I have just found out there a recurrent charge to my credit card for HK$78 every month. The last charges detailsMSFT *<E0500QXZ0B>PURCHASE ID: Z62LBMW7WWZQ 9999999999Can you please check and terminate it.Please contact me at *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  6. storage drive saying unrecognised configuration please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    storage drive saying unrecognised configuration please help: so had 2 storage drives hdd in a pooled configuration i removed the pool from pc and removed the hard drive after doing so i went to install the removed pool drive into a new pc and now it is saying the storage space is the same as when it was pooled ie 1536gb but the storage...
  7. Windows 10 Auto Repair Loop and Unrecognised Password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Auto Repair Loop and Unrecognised Password: Good afternoon,I'm going through the advice for dealing with the Windows 10 Automatic repair loop. The diagnostics states "couldn't repair your pc try advanced..." but I can't open in safe mode option 5 without going round the same loop. I also can't undertake advanced...
  8. Windows 10 Auto Repair Loop and Unrecognised Password

Windows 10 Auto Repair Loop and Unrecognised Password: Good afternoon,I'm going through the advice for dealing with the Windows 10 Automatic repair loop. The diagnostics states "couldn't repair your pc try advanced..." but I can't open in safe mode option 5 without going round the same loop. I also can't undertake advanced...
  9. Windows 10 Auto Repair Loop and Unrecognised Password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. 21H1 Update - Unrecognised User Login Passwords & Missing User Data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    21H1 Update - Unrecognised User Login Passwords & Missing User Data: I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this issue. Windows 10 21H1 Update got processed on a Dell tower PC last Wednesday (7th July). The result was an inaccessible computer as the user was not able to login with his local accounts' normal passwords. The user does not...