Windows 10: Unrecognized external Hard drive

Discus and support Unrecognized external Hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 4TB hard drive that was previously setup in a Shuttle OMNINAS KD20 NAS with another 4Tb drive. In the NAS they were setup as JBOD. One day you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by philbr41, Oct 10, 2019.

1. philbr41 Win User

Unrecognized external Hard drive

I have a 4TB hard drive that was previously setup in a Shuttle OMNINAS KD20 NAS with another 4Tb drive. In the NAS they were setup as JBOD. One day you could see the files on the drives, the next day you couldn't. I pulled both drives and attempted to recover the files using an Orico SATA HDD Docking Station connected to my laptop.
    The first drive was visible to Windows but the file were not. I used EaseUS Data Recovery Software to recover most of the files on the disk. The second drive, however, when inserted in the docking station just runs and never stops. The drive light on the docking station just keeps blinking like something is attempting to read from the disk and never stops. Windows 10 does not recognize the disk either in computer management or file explorer.
    I have used the docking station to work on other drives recently without problems so I don't suspect a problem with it. I rebooted my laptop to see if that had anything to do with it but without success.
    Is there anything else I can do to try and get the drive recognized in Windows? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

:)

philbr41, Oct 10, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Oct 10, 2019
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Oct 10, 2019
  4. Unrecognized external Hard drive

External Hard Drive

To address your concern, here are the troubleshooting steps that you can try. Follow the steps below:

Uninstall and reinstall the external hard drive program.

• In the Settings app, go to System.
    • Go to Apps & features and locate the external hard drive program.
    • Uninstall the program and go to the manufacturer's website to reinstall the updated version.
    Uninstall and reinstall the Paragon driver software.

• Following the same steps mentioned above, locate the software in Apps & features
      and uninstall it.
    • After uninstalling the software, go to the manufacturer's website to reinstall it.
    To further isolate your concern, we'd also like to verify if the OneDrive app is enabled on your PC.

You can hit us back for additional help.

Kind regards.

Jennifer Cha, Oct 10, 2019
Thema:

Unrecognized external Hard drive

1. Unrecognized external Hard drive - Similar Threads - Unrecognized external Hard

2. Unrecognized Hard Drive Partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unrecognized Hard Drive Partition: So I went to defrag my drives the other day and saw this new volume that I'm not sure about. Does anyone have any info as to what this might be? I have system recovery disabled and I tried wiping the restore points thinking it was something like that but it's still in my...
  3. external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external hard drive: What external hard drive do you recommend for back-up on Dell Inspiron 3671. I do not want to save to the cloud. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/c23fb5c0-2b97-457d-81ca-3a824c7e6f1a
  4. External hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive: When I plug in my hard drive I get a message (F:\is not accessible.) Access is denied. Why, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/7469afee-e3f1-4499-9926-b55a995943bb
  5. external hard drive

external hard drive: Why is windows not recognizing my external hard drive, its fn 2019 this s should be plug and play your os is garbage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/8a51c6c8-175f-4d84-b6e7-84ab2697752f
  6. external hard drives

external hard drives: Earlier this week windows did an update and since then it is failing to recognise some of my external hard drive, also windows keeps crashing and re-booting, everything was working fine until update...
  7. unable to install external bacck up hard drive - "UNRECOGNIZED" error

unable to install external bacck up hard drive - "UNRECOGNIZED" error: I have a up to date Windows 10 OS on a Del desktop. I am unable to install a new Seagate 10TB external storage Backup plus Hub. After I plug in the USB to the correct USB 3.0 port, the external drive temporarily appears in the PC Device Manager List as a Disc Drive that...
  8. External hard drive

External hard drive: How can I open the contents of my exteral G-drive USB on my windows 10 HP laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/6d746bbd-2b6d-42d5-9112-955e1ed8bcb5
  9. external hard drives

external hard drives: I have two external hard drives I used on two different computers. On both computers I backed up all information onto the external hard drives before installing windows 10 on both computers. I was running windows 7 on both computers before the installation. On both computers...
  10. Win 10 update - external hard drive unrecognized

Win 10 update - external hard drive unrecognized: Hello, I hope someone can help me. Microsoft just updated the Win 10 installation on my main computer and now my WD My Passport 4TB hard drive is not recognized. It shows as "Local Disk (H*Smile" in Windows Explorer, and in Disk Management it shows as being empty and the file...