Windows 10: Unrecoverable files - files locked in cache?

Discus and support Unrecoverable files - files locked in cache? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Good Morning! I have lost files on Google drive, and while working with Google support, I have been able to download a few missing excel files,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dellis81, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Dellis81 Win User

Unrecoverable files - files locked in cache?

Good Morning!

I have lost files on Google drive, and while working with Google support, I have been able to download a few missing excel files, however not able to able open. The error message states "Excel cannot open the file name ~$DailyPrices.xlsx because the file format or file extension is not valid." As I have corresponded with Google, their claim is the file is in my local computer cache. I don't know what that means, and question if I did, if it would really help?

Would anyone have suggestions on how I might be able to recover these files. These files were all downloaded from GoogleDrive, which have dates/times a few hours before the crash. They all have a file size of 1 KB, so maybe worthless anyway - but I would appreciate guidance.

thanks!

:)

Dellis81, Jul 20, 2019

2. Clear the 'cache' in file explorer for already used picture tags?

If you set some tags for your *.jpg pictures, the windows 10 file explorer shows them in the "details pane" on the right side.

Unrecoverable files - files locked in cache? [​IMG]

This list can get very long and with some wrong or no longer used entries.
    How can I clear this list / cache / suggestions?

Or how can I stop the file explorer to suggests already used Tags?

WTenNewbie, Jul 20, 2019
  3. John Fer Win User
    Cache Files

Hello,

To clean up cache or temporary files on your Windows system, we suggest checking out this
    article. This contains steps that you can perform to help you with your concern.

Let us know if this works for you.

John Fer, Jul 20, 2019
  4. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Jul 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Unrecoverable files - files locked in cache? - Similar Threads - Unrecoverable files files

2. Delivery optimization cache file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delivery optimization cache file: I want to tell you that I recently notice that delivery Optimisation cache files are showing in my file explorer recent access and recent access history and it is very annoying to me so I show the Microsoft website and simply removed them from my from my recent access and...
  3. Office File Cache

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Office File Cache: Greetings,I use powerpoint a lot. I have a huge amount of files in Office File Cache and I would like to delete them. What effect will that have on my current powerpoint presentations I use daily and have on my laptop? Also, is there a place where powerpoint temp files are...
  4. Files cached?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files cached?: I have written a fair number of .BAT files to do things on my computer. The .BAT file may create a file by redirecting the output of one command (such as DIR >>output.txt) and then tries to read that file, but the command to process the file gets an error "The process cannot...
  5. Browser Cache files

in Browsers and Email
    Browser Cache files: Hello,Before shutting down the computer, I run "CCleaner" to remove all 'coockies' and browser cache files.My default browser is 'Chrome', but most cache files are from 'Edge'.My question: When I start the computer (day after cleaning), internet is still not connected,...
  6. Browser Cache files

in Windows 10 Support
    Browser Cache files: Hello,Before shutting down the computer, I run "CCleaner" to remove all 'coockies' and browser cache files.My default browser is 'Chrome', but most cache files are from 'Edge'.My question: When I start the computer (day after cleaning), internet is still not connected,...
  7. Browser Cache files

in Browsers and Email
    Browser Cache files: Hello,My default browser is Google Chrome, and as a spare one I installed Firefox. I do not use built-in Edge or old internet browser, and I am the only user of my computer.Before making a long break, I open Ccleaner to make some cleaning and I find lot of cache files from...
  8. Browser Cache files

in Windows 10 Support
    Browser Cache files: Hello,My default browser is Google Chrome, and as a spare one I installed Firefox. I do not use built-in Edge or old internet browser, and I am the only user of my computer.Before making a long break, I open Ccleaner to make some cleaning and I find lot of cache files from...
  9. "Edge" Cache files

in Browsers and Email
    "Edge" Cache files: Hello,Although I have disabled "Edge" (I do not use it), by adding at the end of the folder in "System Apps" this "(old)". When I open "CCleaner" to clean cache files (and cookies) - there are lot of cache files from "Edge" - I recognize them by their icon.I am the only user...
  10. "Edge" Cache files

in Windows 10 Support
    "Edge" Cache files: Hello,Although I have disabled "Edge" (I do not use it), by adding at the end of the folder in "System Apps" this "(old)". When I open "CCleaner" to clean cache files (and cookies) - there are lot of cache files from "Edge" - I recognize them by their icon.I am the only user...