Windows 10: Unrequested Chrome Popup - Is it a phishing attempt when using Yahoo?

Discus and support Unrequested Chrome Popup - Is it a phishing attempt when using Yahoo? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I believed I had a good version of Chrome I obtained with the help of Forum members. I have had 3 attempts now by a page purporting to be a request to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by billz, Jun 28, 2017.

1. billz Win User

Unrequested Chrome Popup - Is it a phishing attempt when using Yahoo?

I believed I had a good version of Chrome I obtained with the help of Forum members. I have had 3 attempts now by a page purporting to be a request to update Chrome. Each time I instinctively click on it - then have second thoughts since I did not request it. and it wants to change files. Being Paranoid I have stopped in my tracks. and thought I could ask Forum members.

If I can I will try and get attached screen shots, showing my currrent Chrome Screen, The Chrome Pop-up, and the heading and tail end of a cookie policy Of MindSpark from a link on my Now original Chrome access page, bottom lefthand corner.

:)

billz, Jun 28, 2017
  2. ScottH830 Win User

Serious Exception Has Occurred

Again, what does this mean? Is this a Microsoft Windows popup? Is this a Chrome popup. What is it?

"Unhandled exception"

"A serious exception has occured."

"A PC checkup will exit."

"Try restarting the application".

Again, what does this mean?

What "Unhandled exception"?

What "A serious exception has occurred."

What "Try restarting the application."

Is this popup a malicious virus phishing my computer for a click?

ScottH830, Jun 28, 2017
  3. How to Turn off "Making sure it's you"

Has there been any resolution to this issue? My main question: Where is this popup coming from? Is it part of the OS or a phishing attempt? And, of course, how do we turn it off?

Thanks!

PeterKrausche, Jun 28, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

5. billz Win User
    Thank you Bree, I will give Malware Bytes a go.

billz, Jun 29, 2017
  6. simrick Win User
    simrick, Jun 29, 2017
  7. billz Win User
    simrik and Bree, I have just run the Malware Bytes Ad program from the Link given by Bree and it found 51 items which I have removed, I did notice that it had the Programs mentioned by simrik I will have to study these later, but for now I thank you both.
    I did use Malware bytes 5 years ago and it found items that My AVG subscription had missed probably, because I had inadvertently given them authority. I have been using AVG paid version - It is difficult to change when you get no apparent trouble.

billz, Jun 29, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

*Thumbs

Good. Now follow simrick's suggestions in the order given, with no restart after Rkill. And yes, you should run AdwCleaner again once Rkill has stopped processes that may be hiding things.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unrequested Chrome Popup - Is it a phishing attempt when using Yahoo? - Similar Threads - Unrequested Chrome Popup

2. unrequested single use code

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unrequested single use code: Recently my computer was hacked. I have had all of my banking information changed and had my computer professionally cleaned. However I am continuing to receive emails with single use codes. I have not requested these codes with the exception of one dated 7.31.23 at at 4:26...
  3. unrequested single use code

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unrequested single use code: Recently my computer was hacked. I have had all of my banking information changed and had my computer professionally cleaned. However I am continuing to receive emails with single use codes. I have not requested these codes with the exception of one dated 7.31.23 at at 4:26...
  4. unrequested single use code

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SPAM, Phishing and Attempted Fraud

SPAM, Phishing and Attempted Fraud: Well, the Phisheries Industry really has it sewn up this time! One creep has found a way to bypass my security of every new email going into Junk and getting into my Inbox. Applying "Phishing", relegating it to Junk, blocking it and reporting it as Phishing doesn't work. It's...
  6. Unwanted Windows Hello popups when using credit card in Chrome

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unwanted Windows Hello popups when using credit card in Chrome: Windows is interfering with my chosen payment and browser methods by popping up a Windows Hello box every time I try to pay by credit card in Chrome. How can I stop this from happening? It's really annoying....
  7. Chrome assigned as default email? Using Yahoo Mail

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome assigned as default email? Using Yahoo Mail: Novice here. Completely confused btw. Chrome is assigned as default email for W10. Actually using Yahoo Mail on AT&T Web browser. The to the point problem is that I am trying to send a zip file(containing photos) via Yahoo email and I cannot get it to attach to email...
  8. Infected by chrome-updates.win phishing site

Infected by chrome-updates.win phishing site: Hi, My computer has been infected by "https://chrome-updates.win/s.html" site. It can be caused a program which is not safe for my computer I installed. When I opened Chrome or a new tab, it directs me to this address. At first, that page opened with nothing, just white...
  9. Yahoo invasion in Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Yahoo invasion in Chrome: I feel certain it cam from some other program I install without paying attention, but I now have a problem in Chrome. Every time I open the program it goes to my home page as it should. However, for some reason it automatically opens a second tab for Yahoo Search. I do not...
  10. Chrome pop up. Is it for real or Phishing

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome pop up. Is it for real or Phishing: I've just had a pop up apparently from Chrome requesting me to click on links from the following address http(es,colon,slash,slash)support.google.com/chrome/?p=help&ctx=keyboard#topic=3227046 I am always dubious about being invited to click this or that as a necessity to...