Windows 10: Unresponsive Desktop/Startup Repair Frozen

Discus and support Unresponsive Desktop/Startup Repair Frozen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am having a really weird problem. I attempted to boot my computer up today, and I was greeted with a totally unresponsive desktop. No icons loaded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by trainut, May 22, 2017.

1. trainut Win User

Unresponsive Desktop/Startup Repair Frozen

I am having a really weird problem. I attempted to boot my computer up today, and I was greeted with a totally unresponsive desktop. No icons loaded except for the taskbar, and clicking anywhere on the taskbar does nothing. I tried a hard shutdown and I restarted to the same problem. I then tried Crtl+Alt+Del which did bring me to the usual menu, but selecting "Task Manager" would simply return me to the unresponsive desktop. I then selected "Log Out", and I was able to use the login screen to hold Shift while clicking "Restart" to get into the startup options. From here, I tried to boot in Safe Mode, and then with driver signatures disabled. Neither did anything.

So I went back to the startup options via Shift+Restart and tried to select "Startup Repair". It took me to the startup repair screen, where it prompts me to "choose an account to continue". I only have one account on the computer, and it is the only one listed. I pressed "Enter", and nothing happened. I tried to use the mouse, and nothing happened, I pressed "Esc", and nothing happened. I'm pretty sure it freezes here, because the Caps Lock light doesn't even come on or off if I press the key.

If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here are my specs:
    Dell XPS 8300 (0Y2MRG motherboard)
    Intel i5-2400 3.1GHz
    Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB (boot drive)
    WD Blue 7200rpm 1TB
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 8GB
    12GB Samsung/Micron DDR3 RAM

Thanks,
    Ben

:)

trainut, May 22, 2017

2. My windows mail (windows 10) is frozen

My windows mail (in Windows 10) opens but is frozen in the same spot and is unresponsive.

LarryFeipel, May 22, 2017
  3. Said reparing errors C drive, cannot log in. . Now cannot log in at all.

on startup said repairing C drive, now cannot log in at all, says username or password wrong, then sometimes says handle is invalid. Totally frozen up,

CharlesBeggs, May 22, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, best start by checking your disk drives.

Please download Kyhi's bootable DVD/external drive from the top of the Software and Apps section.

Boot your PC from that - you will see from the above it will appear as Win 10 + utilities.

Run HDTune, and use that to check your disks.
    Please post the result.

If the disks are ok, then do a memory check.

Do you have full backups?
    Do you have disk image sets?

dalchina, May 22, 2017
  5. trainut Win User
    My only other computer is a Mac - could I make a working boot drive from Disk Utility/OS X?

And I have one very old backup. I should have done it regularly. I guess this is my wake-up call.

trainut, May 22, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    If it can access the net, you can download the iso file. After that, you could burn it to a DVD or create a bootable USB drive, but I can't say how to do that with a MAC, I'm afraid.

dalchina, May 23, 2017
  7. trainut Win User
    OK, so I am now using a friend's Windows 10 machine. I am making the USB you suggested, as well as a Windows 10 repair/install USB. I am also cloning my SSD (which seems to be working fine plugged into his machine via a USB dock) to another hard drive, just in case.

When I get home, I will run the tool you suggested and post the results. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

trainut, May 23, 2017
  8. trainut Win User

Okay, the download link is not working. The website "toolslib.net" appears to be down.

trainut, May 23, 2017
  9. mrgeek Win User

Use the official Microsoft site, scroll down to 'Download tool now' and expand the info boxes below to understand your options - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

mrgeek, May 23, 2017
  10. trainut Win User
    I have actually already created this disk. The previous poster recommended one from a user on these forums with additional tools.

trainut, May 23, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, May 23, 2017
  12. trainut Win User
    Yeah the link's back up now. I made a DVD with the ISO. Results are in the next post.

trainut, May 24, 2017
  13. trainut Win User

HDTune found no damaged blocks:
    Unresponsive Desktop/Startup Repair Frozen [​IMG]

However, I do get two persistent errors every few minutes:

trainut, May 24, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unresponsive Desktop/Startup Repair Frozen - Similar Threads - Unresponsive Desktop Startup

2. Windows stops loading and becomes unresponsive not frozen unless pin is reset at startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows stops loading and becomes unresponsive not frozen unless pin is reset at startup: This seems like a pretty strange issue and took me a very long time to find any workaround for it, including a complete windows reinstall-in-place that did not affect the issue at all.When booting the PC up, I select my profile and enter my pin. Land on the desktop and the...
  3. Windows stops loading and becomes unresponsive not frozen unless pin is reset at startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows stops loading and becomes unresponsive not frozen unless pin is reset at startup: This seems like a pretty strange issue and took me a very long time to find any workaround for it, including a complete windows reinstall-in-place that did not affect the issue at all.When booting the PC up, I select my profile and enter my pin. Land on the desktop and the...
  4. why the taskbar gets frozen or unresponsive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why the taskbar gets frozen or unresponsive?: I have been encountering a problem where my taskbar becomes unresponsive, and I have to open Task Manager using Ctrl+Alt+Del. Subsequently, the taskbar returns to normal. I ran the System File Checker, which identified and successfully repaired some corrupted files. However,...
  5. why the taskbar gets frozen or unresponsive?

in Windows 10 Customization
    why the taskbar gets frozen or unresponsive?: I have been encountering a problem where my taskbar becomes unresponsive, and I have to open Task Manager using Ctrl+Alt+Del. Subsequently, the taskbar returns to normal. I ran the System File Checker, which identified and successfully repaired some corrupted files. However,...
  6. Unresponsive Taskbar + Frozen/Laggy Applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unresponsive Taskbar + Frozen/Laggy Applications: Hi all, I would be so grateful for any assistance with this issue. I have been experiencing an issue where my taskbar is unresponsive. This happens the first time that I boot my computer when it "wakes up" and even randomly when I am using the computer. When the taskbar...
  7. Unresponsive Taskbar + Frozen/Laggy Applications

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unresponsive Taskbar + Frozen/Laggy Applications: Hi all, I would be so grateful for any assistance with this issue. I have been experiencing an issue where my taskbar is unresponsive. This happens the first time that I boot my computer when it "wakes up" and even randomly when I am using the computer. When the taskbar...
  8. Unresponsive Taskbar + Frozen/Laggy Applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Unresponsive desktop on startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unresponsive desktop on startup: Hello I faced this weird glitch or don't know what it was but today I installed the KB KB4530684 update, Windows 10 1909 build 18363.535, everything went fine the update installed, windows 10 booted up, welcome screen came and my desktop came as usual after that. After using...
  10. Windows 10 Settings is Frozen/Unresponsive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Settings is Frozen/Unresponsive: I am running Win 10 and I recently noticed that none of the Settings apps is working. When I click on the settings icon from the Start button the Settings window opens but clicking on any of the icons in that window does nothing. If I right click on the task bar and select...