Windows 10: Unsecure WiFi connection used at home I rent a room in

Discus and support Unsecure WiFi connection used at home I rent a room in in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I rent a room in a house with six other tenants. The owner of the place includes internet in the rent but the connection doesn't require a password.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Elly=J, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Elly=J Win User

Unsecure WiFi connection used at home I rent a room in

I rent a room in a house with six other tenants. The owner of the place includes internet in the rent but the connection doesn't require a password. Is it safe to connect to it? How do I protect my data? Do I need a VPN? Wth is that? -haha-

Thanks in advance!!

:)

Elly=J, Jun 10, 2019

2. Win 10 Automatically connecting to unsecured WiFi

My surface is currently using Win 10 Pro version 1803(I made sure it was up to date on all updates as of a few minutes ago).

I tried what you suggested, going into gpedit.msc, and changed the setting to disabled, but it still connected to the unsecured WiFi. I even tried restarting, confirming the setting was still there, and within about 10 minutes it connected to the unsecured
    network again.

Gamer Alex, Jun 10, 2019
  3. Win 10 Automatically connecting to unsecured WiFi

Hello,

I have taken my Surface Pro (2017) into work recently, and it has a habit of connecting to any unsecured connection in range. I have never connected to these signals on this device, and I don't have any plans to connect to these unsecured WiFi connections.
    However, it will always connect when not connected to another WiFi, and I have to manually disconnect from any of them to connect to my personal Hotspot on my phone. I have confirmed that the "connect automatically" option is not selected on these unsecured
    networks. They do not show in my list of known networks.

I have done some looking on Google for any help, but all I find are outdated pages, or its calling for an option that doesn't exist in my settings, such as WiFi Sense.

The only thing that I have found that works is to block the network from showing in my WiFi list via a Command Prompt line of code that I found

here
    . I don't want to have to do this for every single WiFi connection that my device is trying to connect to.

Any assistance to disable this "feature" would be greatly appreciated.

Gamer Alex, Jun 10, 2019
  4. IggSter Win User

Is it illegal to connect to an unsecured network?

the legality of using any unsecured wireless network is very uncertain at the moment.

In Germany it is now illegal to have an unsecured wifi network (yes that right - if i was to connect to an unsecure network and download movies/music etc....the owner of the wifi is responsible even if there is outright proof that he did not perform the download)

Quote from BBC news:

German citizens are responsible for the security of their own private wireless connections, a court has ruled.

The ruling comes after a musician sued the owner of a network connection that had been used to illegally download and file-share music.

The owner had proof that the householder was on holiday at the time but the court ruled that the network should have been password-protected.

In the UK, the law currently states that it is not illegal to connect to an unsecured wireless LAN, however it is illegal to use someone elses bandwidth or services without their consent. (as a side note for anyone who runs an ftp service or allows inbound connections, ALWAYS put a login banner stating that access is only for authorised users, this is legally binding and can help during disputes) /Quote

IggSter, Jun 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Unsecure WiFi connection used at home I rent a room in - Similar Threads - Unsecure WiFi connection

2. My icon wifi dissapear and in home it said : not connected offline, i use wifi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My icon wifi dissapear and in home it said : not connected offline, i use wifi: Yeah i dont know how ti fix dat https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-icon-wifi-dissapear-and-in-home-it-said-not/63fc53f0-2709-48e5-9acd-25c23ddc31c5
  3. My icon wifi dissapear and in home it said : not connected offline, i use wifi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My icon wifi dissapear and in home it said : not connected offline, i use wifi: Yeah i dont know how ti fix dat https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-icon-wifi-dissapear-and-in-home-it-said-not/63fc53f0-2709-48e5-9acd-25c23ddc31c5
  4. PC will only connect to WiFi in one room

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PC will only connect to WiFi in one room: I just purchased an HP 15-dy1074nr. For some reason, it will only connect to WiFi in one room. It also shows the WiFi as having no signal strength, yet is still able to execute internet functions such as visit websites. All other WiFi-enabled devices in my home smartphones,...
  5. Can't connect to wifi only from one room.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't connect to wifi only from one room.: The signal is the same from all rooms and other devices work just fine from anywhere. When i try to connect my laptop tho, it only works from one room. When i try otherwise it says "can't connect to this network". Already tried to reinstall wireless adapter drivers, mess with...
  6. Home wifi connection

Home wifi connection: Im a little confused, my home wifi connection is set to Guest/Public with network discovery off and with file and printer sharing off. Shouldn't it be set to Private instead and with what on/off for network discovery and file/printer sharing? I don't really know, but I just...
  7. Unsecure Connection

Unsecure Connection: Hello During the last couple of days when I try to connect to sites, this error message is coming up saying 'Your connection is unsecure'. I am therefore unable to connect to anything. Hope someone can help. Thankyou...
  8. Win 10 Automatically connecting to unsecured WiFi

Win 10 Automatically connecting to unsecured WiFi: Hello, I have taken my Surface Pro (2017) into work recently, and it has a habit of connecting to any unsecured connection in range. I have never connected to these signals on this device, and I don't have any plans to connect to these unsecured WiFi connections. However,...
  9. I can't connect to Unsecured network

I can't connect to Unsecured network: When I go to coffee house and look at available networks, the unsecured network of coffee house shows up with a shield symbol. I can't connect to this network. I have been using this network for 2 years and suddenly it appeared with this symbol. Everyone else can connect to...
  10. Why is using unsecured wifi so DANGEROUS that a VPN is necessary?

Why is using unsecured wifi so DANGEROUS that a VPN is necessary?: I'm sorry but I didn't go to school for this so I’m still trying to understand all of this. It's been months and I still haven't gotten the hang of it. I'm sure this goes for many people like me. The question today is: Why do I need to access my own VPN when I'm...