Windows 10: unshared folder is accessible on network

Discus and support unshared folder is accessible on network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a shared data drive on my computer. 1 folder with subfolders that I do not want shared is on that drive. However when I look on that drive from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Richard Mase Sr., Sep 15, 2021.

1. unshared folder is accessible on network

I have a shared data drive on my computer. 1 folder with subfolders that I do not want shared is on that drive. However when I look on that drive from another computer on my network I can access it, all its subfolders, and all their files. I checked each folder's sharing properties and they are marked "not shared". How do I fix this?

:)

Richard Mase Sr., Sep 15, 2021
  2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile unshared folder is accessible on network :)

Frogger, Sep 15, 2021
  3. Cannot stop sharing a folder on Network

Hi forum,

I've got a problem in stopping sharing some folders across my home network. Not sure if it matters, but I'm on Windows 10 Pro, running my admin user account.
    Anyways, I have a folder I want to unshare from my network called Pictures2 which I believe is empty. The problem is I don't seem to have access to it even though it seems to originate from my PC.

unshared folder is accessible on network [​IMG]

While I was able to unshare the 'Videos2' folder by going into the Properties normally, I can't stop sharing 'Pictures2' from my network even though my computer is the one sharing it. Double-clicking gives a "Windows cannot access XXX" error.

I did notice a difference between these folders which may or may not be important - The Pictures2 folder doesn't have an owner (either that or it can't display it in advanced security settings) while the Videos2 owner was SYSTEM.
    My user account was in the 'shared' list of both these two folders which is strange, as I couldn't access Pictures2 but could access Videos2.
    Honestly I don't know how or when they were even created and I can't find them on my local drive if they're even meant to be there.

I tried using the manual cmd method suggested in another thread but get this:

unshared folder is accessible on network [​IMG]

I would like this Pictures2 folder unshared, and if I know where it's located on my PC I can delete it too.

Help?! Any advice would be appreciated.

NZGhostChips, Sep 15, 2021
  4. enso Win User

unshared folder is accessible on network

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

Thema:

unshared folder is accessible on network

1. unshared folder is accessible on network - Similar Threads - unshared folder accessible

2. unshare folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unshare folder: I want to unshare a folder but the "remove access" button doesnt workI also tried to use the computer manager executed as an administrator but the "stop sharing button doesnt show....
  3. unshare folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unshare folder: I want to unshare a folder but the "remove access" button doesnt workI also tried to use the computer manager executed as an administrator but the "stop sharing button doesnt show....
  4. unshare folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't access folder on network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access folder on network: Hi,I try to share folders between two pc on my network. I still have the "can't access PC/folder because no permission" message.The folder shared properties is set to full control, read, write for everybody.I've tried several times the settings with the smb like shown in...
  6. Can't access folder on network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access folder on network: Hi,I try to share folders between two pc on my network. I still have the "can't access PC/folder because no permission" message.The folder shared properties is set to full control, read, write for everybody.I've tried several times the settings with the smb like shown in...
  7. Can't access folder on network

8. How to unshare a folder in Windows 10?

How to unshare a folder in Windows 10?: I accidently shared the Users folder of my Windows 10 PC. I wanted to share the Public folder. Now the 'Share' button under Properties -> Sharing is greyed out. How can I unshare this folder? I have Administrator privileges of course. And I already did a restart....
  9. How can I unshare the Users folder?

How can I unshare the Users folder?: Hello How can I unshare the Users folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-unshare-the-users-folder/7ce54178-1a56-4f3d-8935-bb12b2cd5927
  10. Shared folder not showing up while a unshared folder does.

Shared folder not showing up while a unshared folder does.: That's about a simply as I can put it. I tried to share some video with a new Samsung TV and my computer does show up as a source. I can select it and navigate to all videos folder. In it I can find one. I look where that one video is on my system and it's in a folder that is...