Windows 10: Unstable fan speed after 1803 update

Discus and support Unstable fan speed after 1803 update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Actually, I might be imagining things. But I am noticing my CPU fan is running erratically. I have the PM set to balance. I have a custom desktop.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ern88, Apr 5, 2018.

1. ern88 Win User

Unstable fan speed after 1803 update

Actually, I might be imagining things. But I am noticing my CPU fan is running erratically. I have the PM set to balance. I have a custom desktop. Specs are Asus Sabertooth Z170s, i5 6600K 4.2 ghz using a Coolmaster EVO cooler. 16 gigs DDR4-3000 (2 x 8 gig sticks), Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1. I am also using HW Monitor.

ern88, Apr 5, 2018
  2. Davec777 Win User

I updated to 1803 and everything looked fine except one of the fans is cycling up and down about every 2 seconds. I think it is the GPU fan but can't be sure unless I open the case. Quite noisy and annoying.
    Interestingly, if I put the computer to sleep mode and then return to normal mode then the fan is running quietly, but reverts the strange behavior after a restart.
    I have reverted to 1709 and everything is back to normal with the fan, but I have Win Home and I cannot stop the update. My computer shows that it is now downloading 1803 again !

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dell Inspiron One 2330, i7- 3770s, 8GB

:)

Davec777, Apr 30, 2018
  3. crash525 Win User
    windows 10 creators update (1709) fans always on laptop. trying to correct this.

I had followed the article and did the repair upgrade. It nice that it does not delete everything. I did this on my gaming laptop. It started out with the fan speed silent then after a minute or two the fan speed decided to go into hyper driver for a few
    seconds and then its just at a constant hum now. Does the bios control the fan speed? Is there anything else I can try? I normally do not blame updates on this type of thing and I wouldnt but since both laptops did it right after the update that led me to
    think that.

Is there a setting where I can adjust the need for fan cooling at certain levels? The cpu cooling is set to passive in the power settings. The maximum cpu frequency is set to 95%. Would a complete reset be better that the repair upgrade?

crash525, Apr 30, 2018
  4. Silence22 Win User

Can't access BIOS on Alienware Area 51 after Windows 10 upgrade

F2/F12 buttons no longer work upon reboot. There has to be a way to get in to the BIOS in order to turn down the fan speed. Fan speed running at 100% all the time after upgrading to Windows 10.

Thank you.

Silence22, Apr 30, 2018
  5. Same here (CPU fan) with previous Insider builds. To stop 1803 from showing in WU, try the cmd line below. Run Disk Cleanup first.

Powershell admin:
    Code: reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings" /v "HideMCTLink" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f[/quote] Restart.

MikeMecanic, Apr 30, 2018
  6. ern88 Win User
    You could use HW Monitor and watch your fan speed rpm's

ern88, Apr 30, 2018
  7. Davec777 Win User
    I used HW Monitor and it was showing GPU temp going from 0C to 50C, and fan going from 40% to 100% every couple of seconds.
    The GPU is (on board) AMD Radeon HD7650A and it is causing other problems like very slow computer operations.
    I was unable to find a driver that works properly so I have disabled it in device manager, and now fan is quiet and computer is responding very fast.

Davec777, May 1, 2018
Thema:

1. Unstable fan speed after 1803 update - Similar Threads - Unstable fan speed

2. Fan Speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fan Speed: I have Dell Vostro 15 5415 and the only time it's fans ever go 100% speeds is during a bios update. The laptop goes >95 degrees in workload. Is there a way to speed up the fans at a critical temperature, say 85 degrees? Also, it is safe to do so?...
  3. Fan Speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fan Speed: I have Dell Vostro 15 5415 and the only time it's fans ever go 100% speeds is during a bios update. The laptop goes >95 degrees in workload. Is there a way to speed up the fans at a critical temperature, say 85 degrees? Also, it is safe to do so?...
  4. BSOD after testing fan speed and GPU driver updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after testing fan speed and GPU driver updates: Hello all,I've been getting daily BSOD 's starting a few weeks back when running some diagnostic tools. I suspected my GPU fan wasn't spinning and things were running too hot. After updating the Nvidia GPU driver and utility programs, it went back to spinning fine, temps were...
  5. UPLOAD SPEED UNSTABLE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UPLOAD SPEED UNSTABLE: Hi,i recently had a Blue Screen ERROR and fixed by updating the driver of my Network Card bluetooth and wifi. The problem is that now my upload is acting weird. I got a fiber that goes 400mb/s and in upload is unstable. I did some test and my download is between 340 and 390,...
  6. UPLOAD SPEED UNSTABLE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UPLOAD SPEED UNSTABLE: Hi,i recently had a Blue Screen ERROR and fixed by updating the driver of my Network Card bluetooth and wifi. The problem is that now my upload is acting weird. I got a fiber that goes 400mb/s and in upload is unstable. I did some test and my download is between 340 and 390,...
  7. UPLOAD SPEED UNSTABLE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. fan speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    fan speed: how do i change my fan speed to make it less noisy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fan-speed/648babaa-d938-430d-8685-38b3bbedaf9c
  9. Slow/Unstable Internet Speeds after Win 10 Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow/Unstable Internet Speeds after Win 10 Update: My interent on my custom desktop, as far as I can remember, has functioned fine for a long time now. However, after upgrading to windows 10 and having it around for a while, I noticed a sharp decrease in internet speed. I've tried multiple solutions, but nothing seems to have...
  10. Unstable download/upload speed

in Windows 10 Support
    Unstable download/upload speed: Hi Im a livestreamer on Youtube my current speeds are 11,5mb down and 5,5up, im the only one connected to the internet and I always drop a lot of frames (only during the day) when its night like +2am it drops 0 frames and its very stable . heres a picture of a 5,000 bitrate...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unstable fan speed

2. fan speed eratic with windows 10 version 1803

3. windows 10 1803 override the bios fan control

4. windows 10 1803 update increased cpu fan speed,
  5. 1803 windows update fan always on,
  6. asus laptop 1803 fan erratic,
  7. windows 10 fan always on after 1803 update