Windows 10: Unsure about setting up a network: Making PC discoverable

Discus and support Unsure about setting up a network: Making PC discoverable in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey everyone. I'm completely dumb to setting up a network. After my father passed, I got a tablet and a cellphone. I have to take notes and photos... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ciero4113, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Ciero4113 Win User

Unsure about setting up a network: Making PC discoverable

Hey everyone. I'm completely dumb to setting up a network. After my father passed, I got a tablet and a cellphone. I have to take notes and photos often and would like to be able to just access these devices right on my computer. I'd also like them to easily share my internet.

I think I have most things figured out, but I'm stuck on whether or not I want to make my computer discoverable, and whether or not my network is secure from neighbors.

Making my computer discoverable -seems- to be the one step I'm reluctant on. How do I know if it's secure from others, how do I know it's password protected, etc. I'd like to be able to have full access to my things even though I live around a lot of people. Thank you very much.

:)

Ciero4113, Oct 10, 2019
  2. curt jugg Win User

Turn on Network Discovery on and make PC discoverable off

After my tablet had been updated by the Creator update it ceased to be visible on my laptop in File Explorer under Network. I checked under "Advanced sharing settings" that Network Discovery was turned on, and it was, but I subsequently found that "Make this PC discoverable" was set to "off". When I turned that on, the tablet became visible again. I would have thought that turning on Network Discovery and making the PC discoverable would have been the same thing, but in that case how could one be on and the other off? I'm probably missing something very obvious here but I'd be grateful for any explanation. Thanks.

curt jugg, Oct 10, 2019
  3. interaction of UAC, discoverability, and network profile

After my last clean reinstallation of Win10 I had trouble access my NAS drives. I have everything working now, but I don't really understand what I did and how it works. And I know my future holds more clean installs so I want to understand what I did.

Some background:
    1. I'm paranoid so have my UAC set to it's highest value.
    2. Accessing my NASs seems to require using the "Private" network profile and setting "Make this PC discoverable".
    3. #1 prevents #2 so I lowered the UAC long enough to change the network settings and then set it back up.

1st question: Was the high UAC setting just preventing changing the network setting, or is it preventing something else in network discovery that will bite me in the future? I'm having trouble believing that lowering the UAC just long enough to change the network settings is actually all that was required.

2nd question: I'm not aware of doing anything other than setting "Make this PC discoverable", but suddenly I was using the "Private" network profile. Are these just two ways of saying the same thing, or did I have to do something more to switch to the "Private" profile?

3rd question: If "Make this PC discoverable" and using the Private network profile are not the same thing, which was needed to get network discovery of my NASs working. (Prior to changing the setting, Windows10 could see the devices on my LAN bu no SMB connection could be established.)

pokeefe0001, Oct 10, 2019
  4. fred3 Win User

Make This PC Discoverable is Missing Entirely

Windows 10 / Settings / Network.... / Ethernet
    Double click on network
    Shows properties but NOT the "Make This PC Discoverable". That's missing.

The network has been set to Private.
    Control Panel Advanced Settings shows that "Turn on network discovery" is CHECKED and it appears to be working.

?????

fred3, Oct 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Unsure about setting up a network: Making PC discoverable - Similar Threads - Unsure setting network

2. PC not discoverable on network.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC not discoverable on network.: Hello, I am trying to set up two computers on my network so that they can share a folder between them. I followed a video that explained how to enable network discoverability through the network share center.Here is a quick list of what I did. 1 turned on "network discover on...
  3. PC not discoverable on network.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC not discoverable on network.: Hello, I am trying to set up two computers on my network so that they can share a folder between them. I followed a video that explained how to enable network discoverability through the network share center.Here is a quick list of what I did. 1 turned on "network discover on...
  4. PC not discoverable on network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Wifi Network is not discoverable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi Network is not discoverable: Hi all,I am having an issue with seeing my wifi network. I have tried restarting my computer, changing adapter settings, and even restarted my router...but I cannot get my computer to find my wifi network.Very frustrating!! If anyone can offer some troubleshooting tips it...
  6. Wifi Network is not discoverable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi Network is not discoverable: Hi all,I am having an issue with seeing my wifi network. I have tried restarting my computer, changing adapter settings, and even restarted my router...but I cannot get my computer to find my wifi network.Very frustrating!! If anyone can offer some troubleshooting tips it...
  7. Make this PC discoverable - Windows 10

Make this PC discoverable - Windows 10: Good Morning. I have a Chromecast device, I can't cast anything, I visited Google support and it says that I have to enable the option "Make other devices discover this PC" and try doing what they told me, nothing, the option did not appear. Could you help me make it...
  8. discoverability of computer on local network

discoverability of computer on local network: How do I change the discover options on my laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/discoverability-of-computer-on-local-network/f1c6c210-ebcb-444f-a6af-6d2d612a192f
  9. Turn on Network Discovery on and make PC discoverable off

Turn on Network Discovery on and make PC discoverable off: After my tablet had been updated by the Creator update it ceased to be visible on my laptop in File Explorer under Network. I checked under "Advanced sharing settings" that Network Discovery was turned on, and it was, but I subsequently found that "Make this PC discoverable"...
  10. Make computer not discoverable on network ?

Make computer not discoverable on network ?: I just connected to a network, and when prompted if I want other computers to be able to find this one, I clicked 'yes' by mistake. How can I change that to 'no' ? 22664

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc not discoverable on network windows 10

2. make this pc discoverable windows 10